Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 30, 2017   #121
imp
Tomatovillian™

2 of the chicken jars did not seal, so they are in the 'fridge for now, will re do one and opened the other for dinner last night. I wanted to see/taste how they came out; this batch of the chicken was canned plain, just a little salt. Was good, used some in a ramen dish for a quickie supper.

More canning tomorrow.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #122
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Canned chicken is expensive and something we should all learn to do.
You cant even find canned pork I dont think in the US.
At least not around here.
What? They don't sell SPAM in Texas?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #123
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Forgot all about SPAM and at work just on Friday we were talking about SPAM.
We both like SPAM.
They used to have a SPAMARAMA in Austin but the last one was in 2007.
It started in 1976.
It fell to corporate greed from what I can tell.
Everything good about what Austin used to be has fell to corporate greed and regulations.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #124
imp
Tomatovillian™

Walmart sells a pouch , shelf stable 8 ounce package of shredded pork for $3.64.

My pints hold a bit over a pound, and cost me less than $2.00 each, counting all the cost of the jars in that amount, too.
Old October 1, 2017   #125
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

canned meat is very expensive. canning your own is so much more economical.
Old October 3, 2017   #126
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Most folks of a younger generation 40 or even 50 down wont even eat any kind of canned meat but they will eat Chicken McNuggets.
Fast food is so ingrained in their lives from childhood they dont know anything else.
Heck it all started with people my age.
That is practically 60 years of people being force fed garbage.
Think about it, Americas food ways have been contaminated with this crap for almost 60 years now.

Worth
Old October 3, 2017   #127
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

this is just a thought maybe totally off but my "take" on it none the less.... my parents "gardened" because "it was what that generation did" and there were 7 children in my family. a lot of mouths to feed. so my mom canned to help feed us, but how many of that generation and the next found food to be cheap enough that there was no way they were going to spend all that time on a garden and canning? the next generation lost out on the knowledge of how to garden and that garden produce is so much better than grocery store varieties. the people younger than me? many of them have no idea how to plant a plant, that carrots and potatoes, beets etc are root crops and you eat something that came out of the dirt... eek.... green bell peppers, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers.. all start as green fruit before they turn color. they don't know that. they "never get red" bell peppers. people my age ask me why their peppers are never red even though the tag they bought with the plant says its a red bell pepper. gardening and food preservation has become an art and many people are afraid of a pressure canner because they have no idea how it is used. (and the stigma of being a ...prepper, oh no!) me? I just like to eat good food.
Old October 3, 2017   #128
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I got one of the supermarket flyers last week, junk mail that I never look at -usually. Being in a new town I got curious and leafed through it quickly, just to see. It was 10~12 pages or so, all of which except 1/2 a page were for various ultra-processed foods on sale. All packaged or bagged, dozens of brands of cereal, chips, munchies, frozen meals, sweets -tons of sweets, including/in addition to all the sugar that's in everything else. I can't understand how some can eat that stuff as a regular diet.

When people hear that I garden first thing they reply is -I don't have the time. As if time was all that was needed. Besides, we all have the same, exact amount of time, 24 hrs/day -no more nor less.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #129
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Time is like money if you waste either one you wont have any.
I am as guilty as the next person.
Worth
Old October 3, 2017   #130
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
I got one of the supermarket flyers last week, junk mail that I never look at -usually. Being in a new town I got curious and leafed through it quickly, just to see. It was 10~12 pages or so, all of which except 1/2 a page were for various ultra-processed foods on sale. All packaged or bagged, dozens of brands of cereal, chips, munchies, frozen meals, sweets -tons of sweets, including/in addition to all the sugar that's in everything else. I can't understand how some can eat that stuff as a regular diet.

When people hear that I garden first thing they reply is -I don't have the time. As if time was all that was needed. Besides, we all have the same, exact amount of time, 24 hrs/day -no more nor less.
yep... ever look at the red plum ad? nothing but coupons for stuff... never things such as flour, sugar, rolled oats etc.. razors, more razors, shampoo, more shampoo, hair coloring, dog treats, maybelline, nexium, advil, centrum, checks, and Always bladder products...... that was page by page from todays ad... no food... stuff.
Old October 4, 2017   #131
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Seems like every time someone brings up canning someone else brings up prepper.
It has happened to me several times.

I need to make more of my favorite preserves, cranberry preserves.
I have found that them made the way I do I like better than anything else out there.
Around 12 pints should do it.

Worth
Old October 4, 2017   #132
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the art of canning is not food hoarding... aka prepping imo. sorry, Worth, I didn't mean to cause distress over the word. just poking fun at it. if I can grow it and put it in a jar I get to eat when the roads are yucky and I don't want to go anywhere on snow or in the bitter cold.
Old October 4, 2017   #133
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not you but people outside here I have spoken too.
I bring up canning and they say you're not turning into one of those preppers are you?
Your comment just reminded me of it.
In all honesty I dont see one thing wrong with being a pepper.
They will probably be getting the last laugh anyway.

Worth
Old October 4, 2017   #134
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

One reason I love this community I moved to 4 yrs ago. Canning is a way of life here. Emergency preparedness is also taught and followed too, w/o any "stigma" attached. We are fairly isolated from the nearest large cities, about 1 1/2 hrs each way, so in case of an emergency, we are on our own. We do have the biggest West Coast interstate running north/south going through the city though.
Old October 4, 2017   #135
imp
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there is anything wrong with putting food by, and being prepared for those needs. I don't buy into the extreme stuff, but I guess my mindset comes from being poor before and also having had parents who grew up in the great depression era.

Besides, it can be thrifty to can up the excess or when one finds a good sale.