Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2007   #121
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Oh, dear. I just realised that I must have come across as very rude. Sorry. I was not laughing at the size of your garden, Grub! I think you are doing a fantastic job there. I am really impressed how much you can grow in your patch, and how productive it is!

The size of a place is no indication whatsoever as to how productive it is. There are many gardens out there (including Grub's, Cosmic's, etc.) that are at times producing fantastic produce when my garden isn't doing much at all. It hasn't got anything to do with size, but how good and organised a gardener is. And I must admit, I am not always very organised where my veggie garden is concerned. But I am getting better, mainly because of Cosmic's moon planting guide.
Old September 12, 2007   #122
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Nah, you came across as your usual cheeky self... keep it up Spatzola

Mailed you a BIG pressie today, albeit late. Let me know when it gets there. PM me for instructions
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007   #123
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

I find the guide useful to force meself to get organised. So bonus if it helps someone to do the same. Blogging is also a great way to record activities. At the end of the year, I just download the blog entries to my hard drive then I have a record of when we did what, which is handy for regular annual tasks. Also gives a nice record of how a garden develops and changes. I enjoy a visit the mad gnomes every now and then. Blogged the rest of the rotten tree today.
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007   #124
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Nah, you came across as your usual cheeky self... keep it up Spatzola

Mailed you a BIG pressie today, albeit late. Let me know when it gets there. PM me for instructions
Thanks, Grub. Glad you took it that way.

Pressie?! Pressie?! Is it here yet, is it here yet?? Ooooh... I love pressies.
Old September 12, 2007   #125
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Cosmic, that looks fantastic!! It looks totally different with that tree gone. And are these your broadbeans in the background!? They are stunning. A real broad bean jungle.

And is that an apricot or peach tree flowering?
Old September 12, 2007   #126
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

LOL, Spatz when you said you thought you came accross a bit rude, I thought you were refering to your comment on cracking in Grubs Mystery Green bottom
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007   #127
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
LOL, Spatz when you said you thought you came accross a bit rude, I thought you were refering to your comment on cracking in Grubs Mystery Green bottom
Oh, boy! That didn't even occur to me! Thanks for making me feel really embarrassed now, Mantis! (Nah, not really. Cause I'm innocent.)

Tomato, tomato, tomato. See? We are on topic. 8)

(Back to repotting, weeding, repotting, weeding...)
Old September 13, 2007   #128
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

The stump is being cut down to ground level as we speak. Friendly neighbour has bigger chainsaw. That's what I love about gardeners, always willing to offer a hand. The peach tree is in blossom, Apricot and plum just getting started. Those broadbeans are indeed a jungle and need to get a move on to make way for the tomatoes next month. Grub's Cracked Bottom? How rude..........
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #129
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mantis. Glad you mentioned the 6" pipe supports. I thought the top tub was just wedged in. How do cut the pot hole? I don't think I've seen a hole saw quite that big!
Old September 13, 2007   #130
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

With an electric jigsaw. Like cutting thru butter. The tubs are really easy to put together with the aforementioned jigsaw, electric drill for the small holes , hacksaw for cutting the pipes and some clear builders silicon.
Mine were made with two different sized tubs that just fitted together really well, but tubs of the same size can be used using the big pipe supports under the top tub. I cut some slits in the bottom of the support pipes so that they can fill with water easily as well.
Had to check the babies by torch light tonight after getting home after dark but the 25 deg day has done them no harm at all
Flathead Monster is a rampant freak, and Rainys Maltese has started to grow very strongly as well.
Aunt Ruby is the only weakling, but I suspect a curse from afar is effecting them
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #131
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Mantis,
I found Rainy's Maltese got away quick at germination then slowed, but will undoubtably take off with more warm days. My best performer so far is Cuor di Bue, it is miles in front at present.

Alas, most of my Anna Russian met their demise today, poor things.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #132
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hehehe... a little old lady, Aunt Ruby, got your measure.

Got a couple of Yellow Submarines up.. yee ha... no Grandpa Willie again, will speak with Spudly, but his Grandpa Charlies are strong and I loved this one.

What is the fruit like on Flathead Monster, Manto?

Rainy's are up for me too... I think she said it's a spreading one meaning maybe an low determinate, but not sure.

Last edited by Grub; September 13, 2007 at 07:39 AM.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #133
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Grub - Rainy said today they never staked it last year, so would give the impression of determinate perhaps.
Old September 13, 2007   #134
tessa
Tomatovillian™

what's wrong with anna russians?
i've got anna banana russian. only one of six up so far.
other showers today:
'stumpy'
'happy'
canadian heart
green zebra
pomodoro crovarese
tiny tom
brandywine
tom's yellow wonder
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #135
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Tessa - With my Anna Russian I had a lot that the cots were fused, some I managed to separate with tweezers, others died. Now they've got to the second leaf stage they are spindly and limp, barely standing on their own.