Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2018   #1351
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you GG for the detailed review. very interesting to know how it grew in every area it’s been trialed this year. Septoria is not prevalent in my area but Certainly Marsha experiences it in her garden in Florida. Something to note as it’s not been brought up by others.
Thanks for being involved in the trial! Appreciate your feedback.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2018   #1352
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Karma Pink has largely stopped splitting now that the weather is somewhat cooler and the ground is very damp 100% of the time. I am picking them earlier, but they were splitting at the blush stage a month ago. So it should be worth another try next year in an EarthBox -- maybe they will like being constantly wet? In addition, it was a relatively small plant compared to the hybrids I grew. That also suggests it as an EB candidate.

Letting them ripen for a week or so indoors definitely helped the splitting, and the flavor got progressively better as the season progressed. It was tart-sweet, and not the reverse. It definitely has good flavor. It is similar to the Project's Dwarf Velvet Night, but of course, more productive due to its size.

Now, the not-so-good news. Aside from the splitting issue, it was the most susceptible to Septoria of any cherry I grew in dirt this year. (Esterina, Sunchocola, Big "Orange" Volunteer, and Karma Pink.) B.O.V. actually turned out to be red, and it had nearly as much Septoria. The hybrids -- not as much. Once we got into August, it has been raining quite frequently. I'm done with spraying for this season and willing to let nature take its course. I would not grow it again in dirt, but will very likely put one in an EB next season, and see how that affects splitting.

And I definitely thank Karen and Marsha for their work, and letting me try it this season.

-GG
Typically hybrids are much more tolerant of fungal attack. I had such bad Septoria this year that almost everything got it to some degree. I was able to control it enough to get a crop.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #1353
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Karen and Marsha - Just wanted to let you know that KP is pumping them out and some of them are very large. I see others have had issues with splitting and luckily, that has not been an issue for either myself or my neighbor who is also growing it out. I’ve already saved seeds. It’s been really great.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #1354
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Karen and Marsha - Just wanted to let you know that KP is pumping them out and some of them are very large. I see others have had issues with splitting and luckily, that has not been an issue for either myself or my neighbor who is also growing it out. I’ve already saved seeds. It’s been really great.
Thank you Sharon.
Old August 26, 2018   #1355
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That’s awesome Sharon!
Karen
Old August 26, 2018   #1356
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, here's the fruit starting to come in from my late garden. I'll rate the taste in a day or two. This is Karma Pink from two different plants. The one fruit labeled KP is from Row 3 and the others from row 1. I also got a couple with hornworm damage (not shown). I'll save some seeds from the best ones. Karen/Marsha, let me know if you would like some seeds. I got my seeds from Marsha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KarmaPink3.jpg (164.2 KB, 159 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; August 26, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #1357
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, here's the fruit starting to come in from my late garden. I'll rate the taste in a day or two. This is Karma Pink from two different plants. The one fruit labeled KP is from Row 3 and the others from row 1. I also got a couple with hornworm damage (not shown). I'll save some seeds from the best ones. Karen/Marsha, let me know if you would like some seeds. I got my seeds from Marsha.
They look just beautiful Ted. Can't wait for your appraisal of the taste. As for seeds, no thank you we have loads, they're all yours!
Old September 4, 2018   #1358
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

KARMA. Pink is a traveller to. Thanks Marsha
Woz
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #1359
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Interesting project. Cherries are worth growing, so will follow this with interest.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #1360
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Woz
Please post pictures over your season.
Glad to see it made it down under!
KarenO
Old September 4, 2018   #1361
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

5 seeds sown this afternoon, will post pics
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #1362
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Thank youfor letting me know they arrived safely.
Woz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Interesting project. Cherries are worth growing, so will follow this with interest.
These are spectacular PL large cherries with intense delicious flavor. (flavour )
Old September 4, 2018   #1363
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Karma Pink taste test.

Well, I actually tasted 5 to make sure I checked out a full range of ripeness. So, here's what my taste buds came up with.

Imagine a golf ball size tomato with a smooth flavor that spans the depth, complexity, and range of Tommy Toe Red, and includes a nice touch of sweetness that mellows the overall taste and yet allows the complexity to take the foreground. My first impression was of an heirloom beefsteak. I tried it plain and also with a touch of salt. I tried it at room temperature and also chilled. Chilling did not diminish the flavor which makes it an instant favorite of mine. I like my tomatoes cold.

I've had a couple of surprises this year - Grandma Oliver's Chocolate was the first, and, now, this one. I put half of one in my mouth and was amazed at how the flavor moved thru several experiences. Full complexity and smooth. Sometimes I like to dip cherry sized toms in Thousand Island dressing. I can go thru a bunch this way. This one is headed for this scenario tonight.

Karma Pink is a winner. It's a thoroughbred and should be in everyone's garden and on everyone's table.

Well done to Karen and Marsha.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #1364
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Karma Pink taste test.

Well, I actually tasted 5 to make sure I checked out a full range of ripeness. So, here's what my taste buds came up with.

Imagine a golf ball size tomato with a smooth flavor that spans the depth, complexity, and range of Tommy Toe Red, and includes a nice touch of sweetness that mellows the overall taste and yet allows the complexity to take the foreground. My first impression was of an heirloom beefsteak. I tried it plain and also with a touch of salt. I tried it at room temperature and also chilled. Chilling did not diminish the flavor which makes it an instant favorite of mine. I like my tomatoes cold.

I've had a couple of surprises this year - Grandma Oliver's Chocolate was the first, and, now, this one. I put half of one in my mouth and was amazed at how the flavor moved thru several experiences. Full complexity and smooth. Sometimes I like to dip cherry sized toms in Thousand Island dressing. I can go thru a bunch this way. This one is headed for this scenario tonight.

Karma Pink is a winner. It's a thoroughbred and should be in everyone's garden and on everyone's table.

Well done to Karen and Marsha.
First, thank you!
Second, you should be writing a food and or gardening column. What an amazing description.
Third - note to self, must try Tommie Toe Red.
And last - just wait, the other Karmas are likely to be released next mid January, and I know Apricot and Purple are to die for, and Miracle is a fantastic visual experience as well as taste.
Old September 5, 2018   #1365
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Oh my. I am overwhelmed with your generosity of praise Ted, coming from you this is high praise indeed and I am so excited that you enjoy it this much.
I have always thought it had big heirloom flavour in a small package and you know what? Goodvas it is, It’s not the best imo.

I do so hope you will try the others, I was happy with the consistency they demonstrated this year and so all of them will be released with F8 seed by Marsha in her seed offer this winter
Barring any unforeseen circumstances
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Means more to me than you know.
KarenO

QUOTE=ContainerTed;713881]Karma Pink taste test.

Well done to Karen and Marsha.[/QUOTE]