Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 4, 2016   #1456
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

We're so lucky with Marsha's Mangoes. Kind of catchy .. Marsha's Mangos. Yummy!

Ginny - Your tomatoes look great. Absolutely NO Cracking on those huge tomatoes. Are they in the ground or your buckets?

Larry - Your summer garden looks so great.

Cucumber Update - I surpassed 100 from the single plant. I think 105.
The other 2 plants are together in an EB so can't tell what plant they come from. Combined for all 3 plants is > 270 now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #1457
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It looks like this is a good year for everyone after all.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #1458
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
We're so lucky with Marsha's Mangoes. Kind of catchy .. Marsha's Mangos. Yummy!

Ginny - Your tomatoes look great. Absolutely NO Cracking on those huge tomatoes. Are they in the ground or your buckets?

Larry - Your summer garden looks so great.

Cucumber Update - I surpassed 100 from the single plant. I think 105.
The other 2 plants are together in an EB so can't tell what plant they come from. Combined for all 3 plants is > 270 now.
100 from a single plant? I am lucky to get 5! I definitely have bad cucumber mojo. I have to learn about this.... :-) Barb that is so awesome.

Forgot to answer about the pots. Wes, Anna Russian, and Orange Strawberry are in pots from lowes... maybe 7 or 10 gallon size? Berkeley Tie Dye, Costoluto Genovese, and the rest are in the ground. You can see parts of the red tomato cages in the CG pic and BTD pic.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 4, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #1459
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
It looks like this is a good year for everyone after all.
Yes and your plants look amazing and your tomatoes too. Do you bury your fish carcasses?

Ginny
Old August 4, 2016   #1460
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I saw this and went and checked my mail box and had a wonderful package too... :-) thank you Marsha!! You should sell it! Its the best ever... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I got mine yesterday. I have had fresh mango and I use the frozen ones in my smoothies but I have never had the dehyrdrated ones. When I opened the package it was just before dinner since my mail comes late. I was only going to have one piece but had to have that 2nd one. I waited until after lunch today and was going to have two but had three. It is so much sweeter than any mango I have ever tasted. I have got to try to pace myself because I am going to be so sad when this wonderful treat is gone. Thank you Marsha!
Ginny and Kay, thank you for posting of their arrival. It makes me feel so good to hear of how you both are enjoying them. I'll be freezing, and dehydrating all this next week. We are going away for 2 weeks, so I will miss out on the last few. Very sad.

Did either of you ever hear of a Yonana? If you freeze bananas or mangoes, peaches, really any fruit, you can put it into this and it turns it into instant sorbet. I have to get one.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1461
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
My Summer Heat Garden is not a total failure.
Picture of a couple rows of Astro Arugula, a few Okra plants and a row of Pinkeye Purple Hull Cowpeas.
I've been eating the Okra for some time. The Arugula was ready to eat in 30 days. First time for me to grow or eat Arugula. For me it has a bit of the taste of peanuts with a little bite. It didn't seem to be negatively influenced in the least by a very hot July.
Also, the Cowpeas are growing fast, but no flowers as of yet.
Larry
Larry,

Your aummer plants look very robust and healthy. Do you have rope on those poles on the right for support?

Ginny
Old August 5, 2016   #1462
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny and Kay, thank you for posting of their arrival. It makes me feel so good to hear of how you both are enjoying them. I'll be freezing, and dehydrating all this next week. We are going away for 2 weeks, so I will miss out on the last few. Very sad.

Did either of you ever hear of a Yonana? If you freepze bananas or mangoes, peaches, really any fruit, you can put it into this and it turns it into instant sorbet. I have to get one.
Never heard of it but sounds like something to look into. But not until I get home and get a Masterbuilt Smoker, the cold attachment, and a food mill. You ladies are a baaaaaad influence. And by bad I mean good! The best!

Ginny
Old August 5, 2016   #1463
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Never heard of it but sounds like something to look into. But not until I get home and get a Masterbuilt Smoker, the cold attachment, and a food mill. You ladies are a baaaaaad influence. And by bad I mean good! The best!

Ginny
I agree, Ginny.

Marsha, what is the temperature you set on the dehydrator for mangoes and how many ours does it take?
Do you use the same temperature for tomatoes?

Thank you.

Old August 5, 2016   #1464
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I agree, Ginny.

Marsha, what is the temperature you set on the dehydrator for mangoes and how many ours does it take?
Do you use the same temperature for tomatoes?

Thank you.
Ella, it takes about 8 hours, I set the temp on approx 125 F. I spray the tiniest layer of Pam, then wipe most off with a paper towel. I have a 9 tray dehydrator with the air circulation fan. Cost is approx 8 cents per hour. Excalibur brand. I use it for tomatoes during the season too. One of the best things I ever bought.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1465
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Larry,
Your aummer plants look very robust and healthy. Do you have rope on those poles on the right for support?
Ginny
No external support. The support comes from the stakes in the ground which the poles are attached to. 4 corner posts are 7' steel T posts. The other 12 posts are 5' treated 2"x2" driven 30" in the ground. The poles are attached to these posts. I assume the poles will deteriorate (rot) long before the posts. They were originally old Fascia boards that I ripped up into 3/4" wide poles which are approx 9' long. It is the second time around for the poles. I used them before in my last pole structure. But I mistakenly drove them directly into the ground. They were thin and not treated in any way and after a few short seasons they rotted off.
If this structure lasts a few seasons I will be happy. I don't know for sure if I will continue to grow pole bean varieties. It seems to me that it is hard to buy modern disease resistant pole snap bean varieties. I assume this to be due to the fact that pole beans appear to be rarely grown commercially, therefore the seed companies see no significant demand for highly disease resistant pole bean seeds. On the other hand there are a number of highly disease resistant bush snap bean varieties available to choose from.
Another thing about pole snap beans that leads me to the above conclusion is that many pole bean varieties have 2 significant strings in them. But for now I carry on and have several new, to me, pole varieties to try this fall.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bean Castle 2016 08 04.jpg (133.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Zone9b; August 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1466
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ella, it takes about 8 hours, I set the temp on approx 125 F. I spray the tiniest layer of Pam, then wipe most off with a paper towel. I have a 9 tray dehydrator with the air circulation fan. Cost is approx 8 cents per hour. Excalibur brand. I use it for tomatoes during the season too. One of the best things I ever bought.
My is just 6 trays L'EQUIP. It was present from relatives. It was seating for years in a box until couple years ago.

Old August 5, 2016   #1467
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No external support. The support comes from the stakes in the ground which the poles are attached to. 4 corner posts are 7' steel T posts. The other 12 posts are 5' treated 2"x2" driven 30" in the ground. The poles are attached to these posts. I assume the poles will deteriorate (rot) long before the posts. They were originally old Fascia boards that I ripped up into 3/4" wide poles which are approx 9' long. It is the second time around for the poles. I used them before in my last pole structure. But I mistakenly drove them directly into the ground. They were thin and not treated in any way and after a few short seasons they rotted off.
If this structure lasts a few seasons I will be happy. I don't know for sure if I will continue to grow pole bean varieties. It seems to me that it is hard to buy modern disease resistant pole snap bean varieties. I assume this to be due to the fact that pole beans appear to be rarely grown commercially, therefore the seed companies see no significant demand for highly disease resistant pole bean seeds. On the other hand there are a number of highly disease resistant bush snap bean varieties available to choose from.
Another thing about pole snap beans that leads me to the above conclusion is that many pole bean varieties have 2 significant strings in them. But for now I carry on and have several new, to me, pole varieties to try this fall.
Larry
Larry, have you tried using PVC pipes for support?

Old August 5, 2016   #1468
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Larry, have you tried using PVC pipes for support?
I've thought of it but have not tried it or even compared it to the price of using wood. With PVC I'd have to keep it painted, because the sun destroys it quite quickly here.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1469
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've thought of it but have not tried it or even compared it to the price of using wood. With PVC I'd have to keep it painted, because the sun destroys it quite quickly here.
Larry
I meant the bottom portion that goes into the ground. Wood usually rotten inside the soil faster.

Old August 5, 2016   #1470
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

One more picture. San Marzano. My husband loves this plant and the picture doesnt do it justice. It has almost 100 tomatoes on it and still setting more. Its the only plant I didnt top or remove suckers. He said I should grow it this fall but I'm growing Cow's Tit instead.

Ginny