Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 25, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default What do you think about (dwarf) Bundaberg Rumball?

Reading about this, sounds much like a large cherry. How has it performed, and is it sweet like a cherry tomato? (The supplier descriptions suggest it is.)

I see that it has been used in other dwarf tomato breeding, so it must have had some endearing qualities.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Reading about this, sounds much like a large cherry. How has it performed, and is it sweet like a cherry tomato? (The supplier descriptions suggest it is.)

I see that it has been used in other dwarf tomato breeding, so it must have had some endearing qualities.

-GG
First,I don't know which seed supplier you are referring to, if it's one of the following,I apologize, especially if it is Victory seeds which I've linked to below. But Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds doesn't describe it as you do.

You might want to check here at these seed sites for more information.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.wzSTz0R_riw

https://www.victoryseeds.com/search.....y=9&search=GO

I'm a bit surprised that no one from the Dwarf Project here at Tville didn't answer you.

Carolyn
Old September 27, 2018   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown it myself, but here is the link to the last pre-release material in the dwarf project development status report http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10458

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I've never grown it myself, but here is the link to the last pre-release material in the dwarf project development status report http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10458
Dee, Craig and Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds are very good friends, as I am with Mike as well and Craig has been sending him seeds from the Dwarf Project, as Mike noted,supplying him with finished varieties.

If you look at this page from Tania

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/T...itage_Tomatoes

And look for the title what's new you'll see ALL the places to date where Craig and possibly Patrina have chosen to send dwarf varieties to,but I didn't see Sandhill, where Craig sent many dwarf varieties to Glenn.

Lastly, Tania is noting which new ones she will be growing out,I assume for this past summer.

Carolyn
Old September 28, 2018   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the additional information to both of you. I had previously read only the descriptions at Victory and Heritage (Bunny Hop), and both of those were pretty consistent. I said "cherry" because of the size mentioned and the pics at both sites show what appears to be small fruit with just two seed locules. Some of the 1-3 oz new dwarf listings and even a 2-3 oz listing are described as cherries, so that is a bit confusing to me. Anyway, small saladette or large cherry, it sounds interesting -- I had just hoped to get a few more responses on the sweetness/taste.

Bundaberg might not be too popular (for whatever reason), but still sounds like a useful trial addition. BTW, the picture of the Bundaberg plant at Victory seems a bit unusual -- the fruit look too big to be as described. But that may just be just optical illusion, since there is nothing in the picture to establish scale. Also, looking at the 2nd picture of the fruit on the plant, I noticed the much larger green fruit above the ripe (and one split) BR.

-GG
Old September 29, 2018   #6
Don S
Tomatovillian™

I tried Bundaberg Rumball last year and again in 2018. This year I got 30 fruits averaging about 2 ounces from one plant before it quit in August, possibly a disease although I had sprayed with Daconil. (Same thing happened to the other DTP variety I tried.) Grew 3+ feet tall in a 5 gallon grow-bag. Tasted good (not great). Took some to the local food bank, where they were not wild about the brownish color.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I tried Bundaberg Rumball last year and again in 2018. This year I got 30 fruits averaging about 2 ounces from one plant before it quit in August, possibly a disease although I had sprayed with Daconil. (Same thing happened to the other DTP variety I tried.) Grew 3+ feet tall in a 5 gallon grow-bag. Tasted good (not great). Took some to the local food bank, where they were not wild about the brownish color.
Thanks for the additional information! 4 lbs of tomatoes off one plant is pretty anemic -- probably not worth the trouble of starting and growing it. There are quite a few reports of very low production on the the DTP varieties (and of course many possible reasons for that). I've had generally good production of the project varieties in Earthboxes, but many/most folks who report appear to either grow in ground or grow bags/regular containers. Clearly I need to think more about growing this one.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; October 1, 2018 at 08:16 AM.