Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 13, 2015   #151
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here's the rest, I haven't had a chance to clean up yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (266.6 KB, 73 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #152
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Sorry about the mess, but here is a photo of yesterday's transplants. They will stay on the patio in intensive care through at least tomorrow. A stalled cold front over Tampa is causing severe storms. Tomorrow I will move them into shade to start getting hardened off, but take them in by about 1, unless the forecast changes. Still too young and tender for a torrential downpour. It's a delicate balancing act because they need more light than the patio can provide.
I also have to put some yellow sticky traps out, whiteflies can get right through the screen.
Aaaannnndddd..... Ella dog smells the fish in the fertilizer, so she was sniffing around ALot! This year, with her, is going to be interesting.
Let tomato season begin!!!!! So excited to see all your posts about the varieties... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #153
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I started my seeds on July 13th. I hope more plants start setting soon. I worry about getting a cold snap early like last year. Is the Orange Russian the bicolor heart?
Oh thats good. I started mine the last week of July last year and had ripe fruit by the first week of october (sun gold).

So fun to see everyone's fall crops going... :-)

Ginny

Old September 13, 2015   #154
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

those crates are a great idea!

First time with the morning sun!

haven't brought the bell peppers outside yet, white flies loveeee pepper plants.....

Last edited by Imthechuck; September 13, 2015 at 09:43 AM.
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #155
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Imthechuck

Where did you get your containers and trays?

I use solo cups but so hard to transport in and out without tipping them. I checked out the website Marsha uses but the quantities are way more than i would use.

Your plants look great!!

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; September 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old September 13, 2015   #156
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Looking good; and THAT is not a mess!

Kay - Congratulations on your first tomato.

I have been transplanting some this week also. Mine are in direct sun until 11 AM, then I put shade cloth up because the sun is so strong this time of year. (seems stronger now b/c it is more south-or it is just my porch area). The ones that I'm going to transplant, I take in during the afternoon so they had lots of sun; transplant on the porch and leave there for the rest of the day.

The following day, they join the others. The only one I am having wilt type issues is one of the George plants. It must not like the heat at all; Today I took it under the porch at 10 AM. It was so sad looking the last few days.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #157
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb - Did you post a list of all the ones you are growing? I know you mentioned some of them in a post but wasnt sure if that was everything. Everyone is growing such fun varieties.

Ginny

Old September 13, 2015   #158
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - Not yet; I still waiting on my Artisan Seeds but will post my list Monday or Tuesday.

I buy my containers, trays, flats, , daisy trays, inserts from GreenhouseMegastore. This year I did a few solo cups too. Your right, they tip over easily, I'm just stacking them in to hold them in place.

White Flies are horrible. I am spraying my mature pepper plants (Kay's method which has produced peppers all summer long) at least weekly.

Also seeing white flies on all of the tomato transplants which I'm just knocking them off.
Old September 13, 2015   #159
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

White flies are the WORST news in the entire garden. all it takes is one virus infected whitefly to start feeding for seconds only, and bam, just like that your plant has an incurable virus. Then you have to pull it before the rest get infected from it. Horrible horrible things, and I hate them!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #160
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

I buy my seed trays/4 inch pots at a local garden/landscape store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
My vote is go with Marshas!

Ginny

I think I may do both and just switch every other week. I have about half a bottle of spinosad, daconil, and liquid copper around.

I just need to pick up some bt on amazon or domyownpestcontrol. I don't want to give the caterpillars a chance this year.

Although I always say this and get lazy with the spraying.... and then bam 10 lbs of tomatoes in the composter, especially the larger beefsteak since they sit on the vine much longer
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #161
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default These guys have decent prices/selections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Imthechuck

Where did you get your containers and trays?

I use solo cups but so hard to transport in and out without tipping them. I checked out the website Marsha uses but the quantities are way more than i would use.

Your plants look great!!

Ginny

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...-trays-inserts
Old September 14, 2015   #162
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kurt and Barb - thank you for posting the link to greenhousemegastore. I forgot about them and the ones I was finding were all very large quanities. GreenHouse has just what I'm looking for. I bought the winter cloth (for freezes) from them last year which Barb told me about but hadn't looked there since then.

Thanks again! So tired of tumbling over my solo cups in trays when I'm racing to get the babies out of the rain storm that sprang up from no where... :-)

Ginny
Old September 14, 2015   #163
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
I buy my seed trays/4 inch pots at a local garden/landscape store

I think I may do both and just switch every other week. I have about half a bottle of spinosad, daconil, and liquid copper around.

I just need to pick up some bt on amazon or domyownpestcontrol. I don't want to give the caterpillars a chance this year.

Although I always say this and get lazy with the spraying.... and then bam 10 lbs of tomatoes in the composter, especially the larger beefsteak since they sit on the vine much longer
I'm with you!! I have so much going on that I don't spray as much or stay on top of that. The tomato horn worms did a number on a couple of my plants last spring. GRRRRR.

Ginny
Old September 14, 2015   #164
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I'm lax on spraying also; I think that is why I like wintering gardening better; much less bugs. However, other than the white flies, the others are at bay now.

I've been decent with spraying for the white flies this year; prior years I just sprayed Dr Bronners castile soap on the pepper leaves one time and that was all that was needed. This year, the first time I used 100% Neem Oil and that kept them at bay for over a week; but that is expensive so went to the castile soap but not seeing much improvement.

Finally, last night I sprayed with Garden Safe Insecticidal soap including the seedlings/transplants which I hated to spray but was sick of knocking them off.

---
Ginny - if you are going to order from GHM, this tray is really nice:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts

It holds the regular 1020 tray / daisy tray too with room on the sides for more pots.

Another one that is really nice to have is the $8 pouring tray. I only have one.

When I buy from GHM, I buy up to the next shipping increase so I am always trying lots of new stuff.

Did you get all your seeds sown yet? any sprouts?
Old September 14, 2015   #165
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I'm lax on spraying also; I think that is why I like wintering gardening better; much less bugs. However, other than the white flies, the others are at bay now.

I've been decent with spraying for the white flies this year; prior years I just sprayed Dr Bronners castile soap on the pepper leaves one time and that was all that was needed. This year, the first time I used 100% Neem Oil and that kept them at bay for over a week; but that is expensive so went to the castile soap but not seeing much improvement.

Finally, last night I sprayed with Garden Safe Insecticidal soap including the seedlings/transplants which I hated to spray but was sick of knocking them off.

---
Ginny - if you are going to order from GHM, this tray is really nice:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-trays-inserts

It holds the regular 1020 tray / daisy tray too with room on the sides for more pots.

Another one that is really nice to have is the $8 pouring tray. I only have one.

When I buy from GHM, I buy up to the next shipping increase so I am always trying lots of new stuff.

Did you get all your seeds sown yet? any sprouts?
Hi Barb,

I was thinking of these pots.... 5.5"
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...d-plastic-pots

In these trays - each tray only holds 8 though in the 5.5". If I go with the 4" pots the trays hold 15.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...d-plastic-pots

My seeds are sprouting! Yay! So far about 50% of the seeds have sprouted in 6 days. I think that is slow but maybe the conditions here at my mom's are different than when I sprout them at home.

What is a pouring tray?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; September 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM.