Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old September 17, 2015   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

I got some of these seeds through Nicky's swap (thank you!).
After a pretty awful summer, mine are just about a foot tall.
I was thinking of trying to overwinter them, so I'm excited to hear that might be ok. I'd love to see them grow to their full glory.
I also have a patch of White Lisbons and a patch of 2 year old Hardy Evergreens (those are in flower just now), and I've been cutting instead of pulling green onions in hopes that all (or some variety) will overwinter and make a perennial green onion patch.
Has anyone tried this with White Lisbon, or am I wasting my time?
I can see many of them have formed a small bulb... I would sure pickle those if I thought there was no chance of survival.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Does anyone know how to get seeds from these?
Do you mean for these or from these?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I got some of these seeds through Nicky's swap (thank you!).
After a pretty awful summer, mine are just about a foot tall.
I was thinking of trying to overwinter them, so I'm excited to hear that might be ok. I'd love to see them grow to their full glory.
I also have a patch of White Lisbons and a patch of 2 year old Hardy Evergreens (those are in flower just now), and I've been cutting instead of pulling green onions in hopes that all (or some variety) will overwinter and make a perennial green onion patch.
I Has anyone tried this with White Lisbon, or am I wasting my time?
I dont understand the question.
There is no way you can have a (perennial) green onion patch.
Once the plant blooms the plant dies just like most agave.
Old September 17, 2015   #19
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Do you mean for these or from these?

Worth
I believe Luigiwu participated in NewWestGardeners offer, so possibly referring how to save seed.

NewWestGardener pointed out that if you leave a few green onions in the ground, pull soil up around the stem at base to cover for the winter and hopefully you should get some new greens that pop up in the spring. Let it flower and go to seed, and you can collect the seeds from the seedhead when it dries. HTH

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I dont understand the question.
There is no way you can have a (perennial) green onion patch.
Once the plant blooms the plant dies just like most agave.
I thought with perennial green onions, like Hardy Evergreen, the flowering stalk will die (of course) but the side shoots will continue to live on and divide the next spring.
It is a different species, A. fistulosum.
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organ...ing-onion.html

Looks like White Lisbon is Allium cepa, although it is also reported winter hardy in some cool zones, or planted in fall for a spring crop, no idea if it would survive after flowering. These haven't flowered, although they are two year old plants. Late last fall they bulbed up and then began to divide, so I separated the little ones and these are them now, in the garden.

Leeks are another one, very cool. After they flower, they form "pearls" underground around the stem, and those 'pearls' sprout up as new baby leeks. The flower stalk is dead, but the clones keep coming...
Old September 17, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I thought with perennial green onions, like Hardy Evergreen, the flowering stalk will die (of course) but the side shoots will continue to live on and divide the next spring.
It is a different species, A. fistulosum.
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organ...ing-onion.html

Looks like White Lisbon is Allium cepa, although it is also reported winter hardy in some cool zones, or planted in fall for a spring crop, no idea if it would survive after flowering. These haven't flowered, although they are two year old plants. Late last fall they bulbed up and then began to divide, so I separated the little ones and these are them now, in the garden.

Leeks are another one, very cool. After they flower, they form "pearls" underground around the stem, and those 'pearls' sprout up as new baby leeks. The flower stalk is dead, but the clones keep coming...
That clears things up.
Onions are so much like agave since they are related to each other.

Worth
Old September 17, 2015   #22
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That clears things up.
Onions are so much like agave since they are related to each other.

Worth
Yes indeed.... but only in Texas.
Old September 17, 2015   #23
salix
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reminder - will leave a few in the ground to see if they will survive -40! They are lovely green onions, thank you very much NWG. Will put some of my potato onion bulbs back in ground as well, they surprised me last year by surviving.
Old September 17, 2015   #24
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Right on Ginny! It is worth a try, very likely to work. Looks like we may rely on you to renew seeds for next year

You can also replant harvested green onions, keep the outer layers intact, chop off the top leaves (to prevent moisture loss) and roots (leave 1 inch or so), then lay them sideways and bury the stems in soil. New big shoots would come up in spring.

You can also dry your green onions for storage, like you would with other onions and garlic. After harvesting, lay them out on the ground under the sun, then bundle up the dried stocks and store. You may be able to leave them outside for the winter. They may freeze solid, but will thaw well.

****Ginny, I will send you some other onion seeds for you to try later, since you are such a pro at growing things. I have just harvested seeds for Mammoth Improved Onions, which I bought directly from Robinsons in UK. "After years of research this onion has now reached a high standard of vigour and uniformity. Can be grown to over 6lb in weight and 22" in circumference. Very sweet flavour. The exhibitor’s onion winning many prizes from the 1800's to the present day". Mind you, mine only managed to survive and produce seeds, they are not a lot bigger than regular ones in my garden, they suffered neglect and drought, and I certainly did not start seeds indoors in November to get to the competition size. I may offer some of this at our next seed exchange.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; September 17, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #25
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Don't know if anyone will need this, but I managed to find a site in Canada that sells seed.

http://www.agrohaitai.com/onlinecatelogue.htm
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #26
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Does anyone know how to get seeds from these?
Kitazawa seeds has a good selection of Japanese long green onion seeds. I highly recommend the variety Kujo negs (400+ history) from Kyoto.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #27
nicky
Tomatovillian™

I'll ask around the Canadian swap... I'm sure that quite a few people would have grown them out. It was really generous of you to send in so many last year! (:

nickysgarden.wordpress.com
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2015   #28
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Right on Ginny! It is worth a try, very likely to work. Looks like we may rely on you to renew seeds for next year

You can also replant harvested green onions, keep the outer layers intact, chop off the top leaves (to prevent moisture loss) and roots (leave 1 inch or so), then lay them sideways and bury the stems in soil. New big shoots would come up in spring.

You can also dry your green onions for storage, like you would with other onions and garlic. After harvesting, lay them out on the ground under the sun, then bundle up the dried stocks and store. You may be able to leave them outside for the winter. They may freeze solid, but will thaw well.

****Ginny, I will send you some other onion seeds for you to try later, since you are such a pro at growing things. I have just harvested seeds for Mammoth Improved Onions, which I bought directly from Robinsons in UK. "After years of research this onion has now reached a high standard of vigour and uniformity. Can be grown to over 6lb in weight and 22" in circumference. Very sweet flavour. The exhibitor’s onion winning many prizes from the 1800's to the present day". Mind you, mine only managed to survive and produce seeds, they are not a lot bigger than regular ones in my garden, they suffered neglect and drought, and I certainly did not start seeds indoors in November to get to the competition size. I may offer some of this at our next seed exchange.
Thank you for the tips NWG, I am no pro when it comes to onions, but the Shandong green onions certainly did well for me compared to some varieties I planted this spring from bulb/seeds. It just might end up being my main stay garden onion. Interesting that you can replant the green onion after you already harvested them. Good to know. I did discover a few more un-harvested Shandong Green Onions underneath the nasturtium vines. So, I will let them be and cover for the winter. Hopefully they will sprout up next spring.

I found my original pkt. of seeds you sent me. If you used all yours up and are in need, I can send some back to you. Just send me a pm. Not a general offer to the public, as I only have a limited supply, sorry. I will try to get some fresh seed to harvest next season, and then I will be happy to offer fresh seeds up to those still interested.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #29
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ginny, mine germinated enough (in patches) despite my dog's interruption. I should have enough to replant next spring (when they are penscil-sized). I thought onion seeds only have 1 year life span, read it somewhere. I still have some seeds left, going to start some in January inside too. How they performed in your garden is an inspiration for me, probably for many other people, thank you so much for sharing.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; September 29, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old September 29, 2015   #30
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Nicky, I maximized my allowable limits for the trade, trying to give everyone in the group a pack.

I'm not sure if people realized it is a truly outstanding variety to try, but thanks to Ginny's posts, I hope we'll hear more next year from the Canadian trade group, who received the seeds but did not plant this year. I promise to take care of mine next time around