Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 12, 2018   #1
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identifying an unusual paste(?) tomato

Do any Tomatovillians have a clue which variety is pictured here? I read the source article, in French (slowly and poorly, relying solely on my high-school French); the author doesn't seem to mention the variety: https://rue89bordeaux.com/2014/08/ma...-belle-en-ete/
If Reisetomato and Roma had a love-child, I think it would look like this.

I would love to grow this, if only I knew what it was!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #2
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Well, I copied and pasted, placed it in a translation site,but did not get the name of the weird variety. Maybe one of our french speaking members can lend a hand?
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Lots to read there but for me this is the most important.

(Ce fruit qui vient tout droit d’Amérique du Sud a trouvé ici une terre d’accueil avant de donner naissance à une variété, la Marmande, obtenue par un croisement de trois autres : la Merveille des Marchés, la Pondorosa et la Mikado écarlate. Elle est vigoureuse, de taille moyenne, plate et côtelée. Sa chair est consistante et très parfumée avec des notes sucrées.)

That is,it's a three way cross between Marveille des Marches, Ponderosa and Mikado escarlate, and I know all three.

Carolyn, yes after all these years I can read a bit of French.
Old November 12, 2018   #4
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure that that three-way cross refers to the variety "Marmande," as the author writes... I don't believe that the picture is of Marmande.
Old November 12, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The picture made me think of a Reisetomate/Jersey Devil cross.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reisetoateuntitled.png (107.6 KB, 182 views)
File Type: png Jerseyuntitled.png (99.8 KB, 179 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018   #6
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

No idea what it is and the article doesn’t give any clues either. It’s simply a picture of a weird tomato to go with an article about the town of Marmande and its tomato festival and how it all came about. The mention of the variety Marmande just happens to be near the image.
(I lived and worked in France for five years).
Old November 13, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
No idea what it is and the article doesn’t give any clues either. It’s simply a picture of a weird tomato to go with an article about the town of Marmande and its tomato festival and how it all came about. The mention of the variety Marmande just happens to be near the image.
(I lived and worked in France for five years).
Oui, and how many different versions of Marmande are there?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/w/inde...ty_List&from=M

There are seven.

I tried to get a message back to Norbert ,from France,via someone else who was going to that festival since the someone else was going to it and thought Norbert might also be there.

I never heard anything back from anyone.

It was Norbert who first contacted 5 of us in the US and wanted to trade,and we did.The major problem was that Norbert is not proficient in English.He would answer me in French and I'd have to have a neighbor translate it back to English.

A few years ago Norbert was here at Tville,but same problem although there were enough folks here who were proficient with French,they translated it ASAP.

Summary? That's one very weird tomato that's being shown,much too scary for me to ever grow since I'm the shy,passive type,, who can't stand being scared.

Carolyn
Old November 14, 2018   #8
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all who posted. I'll keep searching... French varieties tend to do well in my climate.
Old November 14, 2018   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Thanks to all who posted. I'll keep searching... French varieties tend to do well in my climate.
Have you looked at the French varieties that Shawn and I listed in last Spring's seed offer since there are many.

Just look in the Seed Trade section and scroll down until you find that seed offer.

I know I asked you before but forgot what you said so I'll ask again where in the Hudson Valley are you since I know that area very well.

Carolyn
Old November 15, 2018   #10
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Have you looked at the French varieties that Shawn and I listed in last Spring's seed offer since there are many.

Just look in the Seed Trade section and scroll down until you find that seed offer.

I know I asked you before but forgot what you said so I'll ask again where in the Hudson Valley are you since I know that area very well.

Carolyn

Thanks; I did look at the list, but the timing of the offer and my job responsibilities were poorly aligned, so I sat that one out. Like you were, Carolyn, I am a professor. I generally start planning my garden in January, once my windowsill micro-dwarfs start producing. I will check in with Shawn to see what, if anything, is left when I get that ball rolling again!

I live in the Mid-Hudson Valley, in an unincorporated hamlet no one's ever heard of; the nearest "bustling metropolis" would be New Paltz, off Exit 18 on the NYS Thruway. It's quite pretty here, especially in Fall. The apples and fall foliage are spectacular.

The longer I garden, the more convinced I am that my climate works best for French, German, Czech, Russian, and Ukrainian tomato varieties. I've also had great results from Northern Californian tomatoes, for reasons I can't explain, plus Marglobe and certain Marglobe relatives; maybe the latter is due to the French provenance of Marglobe's "lost" parent, Marvel. Italian, Turkish, Greek, and many Southern US varieties do rather poorly here. Thankfully, Cherokee Purple does well, but Black Krim and Paul Robeson do much better; Arkansas Traveler might do o.k. in an atypically warm summer, but I've stopped trying. Since I'm on the downslope of a little (1,125') mountain leading down to the Hudson River, the nighttime temperatures can be quite cool even in summer. This coming year I might try a Polish tomato, just to see if it would work in my little microclimate.

Every spring I wish you lived closer, Carolyn; I would drop spare seedlings on your doorstep!
Old November 15, 2018   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like Marvel is short hand for

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/M...b=General_Info

.....as you suggested.

So not lost, but finding an available seed source would be much more difficult.

Carolyn, and Tania also lists a Marvel Striped and another one as well.
Old November 16, 2018   #12
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Almost everything is still available...
Old November 16, 2018   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Almost everything is still available...
Great to know almost everything is still available.

So here's my list Shawn.

Call in order to Nueskes in WI for their fabulous new brownies and outstanding hash, and more.

Call Krauses on Central ave near Albany,outstanding chocolates, etc. and order LOTS of stuff,all for me since I've decided not to order for Xmas presents to the many folks who are here at home everyday,for one reason or another. They will get modest checks.

And my friend,where are you now, in China or back home in VT?

Carolyn
Old November 17, 2018   #14
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Great to know almost everything is still available.

So here's my list Shawn.

Call in order to Nueskes in WI for their fabulous new brownies and outstanding hash, and more.

Call Krauses on Central ave near Albany,outstanding chocolates, etc. and order LOTS of stuff,all for me since I've decided not to order for Xmas presents to the many folks who are here at home everyday,for one reason or another. They will get modest checks.

And my friend,where are you now, in China or back home in VT?

Carolyn
Great list, Carolyn!

After two weeks in Hong Kong greeting my new granddaughter, I came home about a week and a half ago. Wife hopes to come back Tuesday. I must say,the weather difference has been a bit of a shock! This early winter has left me scrambling.
Old November 17, 2018   #15
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I've just discovered this thread and had a look at the link suggested above : https://rue89bordeaux.com/2014/08/ma...-belle-en-ete/

Let me remind everyone the Marmande tomato is perfectly round. it's well-known in the U.S. as it has been a standard for taste for a long time. The picture shows tomatoes with unusual shapes but doesn't give the slightest indication about their origin.

If Hudson Valley is really keen on knowing the variety I can try to get in touch with the organizers of the Marmande fair, they may have the answer. I must say I like challenges : a US tourist visiting the château of Versailles fell in love with a tomato growing in the Queen's garden. I managed to get in touch with the head gardener and could send the Tvilian the name of the variety and some seeds.
Of course I'll always be glad to go on sending seeds to the US whenever need arises. I'm aware I'll never reach the level of Marsha who is second to none.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote