Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22, 2017   #1
IdahoTee
Tomatovillian™

Default My First Hugelkultur Mound

With the opportunity to use some aspen trees I dropped last year and sawed into logs, I gave this season a go with a Hugelkultur mound.

What I enjoy most about the idea of a Hugel is that after much searching, reading and planning, it became clear that these grow mounds have a ton of flexibility in design and creation. So armed with a medley of logs, branches, twigs, semi aged compost, manure, leaves, kitchen waste and random other ingredients, I went to work this April. 3 months later I have to say I am stunned how well it is growing plants.

Because the soil in my yard is river bed with a skin of top soil, I decided to go up with the mound instead of a pit style Hugelkultur. It was more work keeping it mounded and not sloughing off the sides, but so far the results have been beyond my expectations.

Here were the steps I took:
  1. Dug a trench and removed the sod
  2. Raked the bed and removed exposed rocks
  3. Laid down logs - watered (props to my daughter for the artful log design)
  4. covered in leaf litter - watered
  5. spread gooey kitchen scraps saved all winter - watered
  6. added top soil removed from bed
  7. spread chicken manure (with bonus maggots!)
  8. top soil - watered
  9. laid aspen and willow branches
  10. partly composted leaves and grass
  11. added the removed sod (dirt side up) - watered
  12. leaf litter
  13. small branches/sticks - watered
  14. topped with nearly finished compost
  15. spread soil/manure mix over top
  16. finished with some bagged potting soil I had laying around from previous year

I took the cue from PaddyMC and planted three winter squash after threat of frost had passed and added some meadow mix flower seeds, a few sunflower seeds and let it rip. Oddly, I have three tomato plants, several random sqaush (assuming pumpkin but not sure) and even two potato plants pop up. I can assume this was from the kitchen scraps that were added, but not really sure. I will let them be and see what happens.

Here is a progress photo from today...

IdahoTee is offline   Reply With Quote