Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 23, 2012   #31
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of my Sweet Success taken tonight, now reaching up into the deck lattice:

I've picked 6 so far, with about 40 developing at different stages. Really like this variety.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #32
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

WOW! 40? That's all in this 'tainer? Is it 6 plants i am seeing in there?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #33
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

rnewste,
These are some of the Sweet Success that I picked this morning. I get this amount or more everyday from these plants. Sweet Success are great producers and they are loved by all who eat them. Nice and sweet as the name implies and very small seeds.
DP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1699.jpg (477.4 KB, 53 views)
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #34
buckeyegirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the review! Will definitely try these with my "Iznik" cukes next year! Love that they are thin-skinned and not bitter. Hopefully they will be as "successful" for me as they are for you!
buckeyegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #35
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sweet Success in 5 gallon buckets in my greenhouse this spring, and they were my favorite variety. I ate quite a few of them, despite never having previously been much of a fan of cukes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #36
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

holy cow. What do you guys feed those cukes? lol
Old July 3, 2012   #37
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm disappointed. Here I thought I was going to see some big cucumbers. Cucumbers that size we would just throw back in and let them grow a bit more.

Down here, we use the normal size cucumbers to eat. The runts get used as temporary footballs. Big cucumbers are a whole nother story. A friend of mine hollowed out a big cucumber and filled it up with ice and threw in 50 gallons of cola to get cold for the big 4th of July picnic. The last big cucumber I picked took a bulldozer to drag it out of the garden. I put it in front of my house and stood it up on end. My kids used it for mountain climbing practice several weeks last summer.

But that is not as big as the cucumber Worth grew. He let a cucumber vine grow up the post of his front porch and it started a big one on the roof. The picture I saw was of 3 men with a chainsaw trying to get it down off the roof before his house was condemned. The 3 men looked really bad, cutting a cucumber up with a chainsaw is a MESSY business. I hear Worth goes around his house 2 or 3 times a week now muttering to himself and checking just to be sure a cucumber vine hasn't managed to get started in one of his flower beds.

DarJones

Last edited by Fusion_power; July 3, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #38
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

LOL Dar, they say everything is bigger in Texas!

Probably down in your area as well with that long summer season