Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 1, 2017   #76
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Leadbetter Lunker

Back to my tomatoes.

I grew alot of beefsteak type tomatoes this year and tasted alot of them too. Some a whole lot.

This heirloom, to me, beat Cherokee Purple and some of the others hands down. Tomatoes weighed in from 12-14 oz and were so full of flavor my tastebuds thought they was someplace out of this world.

This plant produced the first tomatoes in my garden and was near one of the last to turn. That was because I had so much foliage and also I had the plant in an area where it got a bit of shade during the heat of the day.

From plant out to picking, took just a little over 2 months. It's one I plan on keeping going during fall. By itself or on a sandwich it full of that old fashioned, real tomato taste. I'm sure gonna miss having these fresh tomatoes come winter. Spring better hurry up and come again. I want more Leadbetter's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 007.JPG (114.7 KB, 144 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #77
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Good stuff! Leadbetter's doesn't have alot of seeds, but sure has the meat and flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 009.JPG (208.1 KB, 145 views)
Old August 1, 2017   #78
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Sara Black

At first I was kinda hesitant to grow this tomato. Blacks usually suffer from blights and molds down here, but this one came through like a champ. No problems at all.

I'm not sure where the black comes in. Tomato to me is a brick red color with green shoulders. Than again it may turn a bit darker yet. I wasn't sure quite when to pick it.

Tomatoes weigh in at 4-6 oz. Nice flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 012.JPG (83.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 013.JPG (86.0 KB, 144 views)
Old August 1, 2017   #79
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Ukrainian Paste

I'm not sure of the exact cultivar of this one as it came to me just labeled Ukrainian Paste.

It started out looking like first pic. Reminded me of a peanut shape, but as time went on it filled out nicely. I ended up with one that was more plum shape and all the rest have the nipple on the end , which I guess it the way it should look.

Not quite sure what the final color will be yet. Darn fawn has discovered the tomatoes and not afraid of walking in to help herself, so I picked when blushing.

They avg about 4 oz. Can't remark on taste yet til they get ripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThessalonianRioGrande 025.JPG (135.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 014.JPG (72.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 015.JPG (75.3 KB, 144 views)
Old August 1, 2017   #80
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Wyandotte

A pleasant surprise for sure. Nothing old tasting about this heirloom. It was a bit later than the other tomatoes. It didn't like our 100+ temps and humidity, but when temps dropped back down into the high 80's it decided to get with the program and make tomatoes. Maybe the old in its name intimidated it, who knows.

A beautiful dark yellow color. Meaty beefsteak with nice old fashioned tomato flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 018.JPG (54.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 019.JPG (80.2 KB, 143 views)
Old August 1, 2017   #81
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Italian Market Wonder

Another one that took its time to start making tomatoes on a huge plant, but when it did, it was well worth it.

Had to remember to save seeds before I ate them all. This is an excellent all round tomato. Looks like those grocery store ones, but Oh My! the taste is soooooooooo good. Tomatoes avg 3-4 oz and are great tasting by themselves or on a salad or sandwich. Definitely one to grow and take to the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 021.JPG (61.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 1 2017 022.JPG (69.2 KB, 150 views)
Old August 1, 2017   #82
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Gosh I love this thread! I think that it is the best descriptions of the season.
~ Thanks ~
Old August 2, 2017   #83
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

outstanding Starlight
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #84
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Very nice haul, Starlight. I hope your peppers are doing as well.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #85
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Gosh I love this thread! I think that it is the best descriptions of the season.
~ Thanks ~
Glad you enjoyed the commentary. Hopefully you and others discovered something you might like to try. Got tons and tons of paper plates all over the place with seeds drying. Just wish they would jump all into packages for folks now by themselves.

Think that's about all for me for this season. Just have one or two left to take pics of if the rain ever stops. I've cut all my plants down. Some are starting to regrow new leaves and plants, but doubt I'll even let them grow for the fall. Two weeks of solid rain everyday and another two weeks of rain. Things just molding and leaves on trees and perennial plants all losing there leaves. Winter on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
outstanding Starlight
Thanks so much Gerado. I'm getting there slowly, but each season a new learning experience. Just so thankful for all the folks here that have shared their knowledge. Wish I would have found TV many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Very nice haul, Starlight. I hope your peppers are doing as well.
Thanks! Agggggggggggg I wish. While I may have had good luck with the tomatoes this year, my peppers are a disaster. I managed to harvest some Gypsy sweet peppers an that about it. Peppers were not doing to bad an I was excited to have the sweets growing and way to much rain and humidity and next thing I knew my whole pepper crop was destroyed and I really don't know what happened.

Plants were starting to grow again and putting out blooms and making some peppers and then it was like somebody dumped a gazzillion needles through all the plants leaves and the stems. Every plant was full of thousands of tiny holes. I checked and checked and no bugs, no mites, nothing. Have no idea what caused the destruction and every pepper that was on the plants was in green stages and all of them had big blotches of rot on them. Never seen nothing like it.

I cut and trashed all the peppers. Checked and the mold inside was terrible. Couldn't even save any pieces to try and eat. I been pulling pepper plants and tossing into burn pile. Hate it, as I had thought about bringing in for winter and holding over. But since I have no idea what happened, sure don't want to be growing sick plants and maybe having it pass on to seeds. Will just regrow for next year and hopefully discover what happened and what went wrong before next season.
Old August 15, 2017   #86
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Southern Belle

Last tomato pic of the season for me. Hope I got a pic of everything I grew this year, if not, oh well, too late, I done ate them all. My tummy is very happy!

This tomato has some controversy about it. I had found some posts about it on another site where folks were wondering if it was just a renamed tomato or a for real new cultivar. My seed were sent through a swap.

I don't know the other tomato types folks are saying it could be, so I really can't compare. What I can tell you is SB is a PL and makes 10' vines and very few late tomatoes. Maybe it would have done better if the weather had been better.

Outside is red with yellow shoulders. Inside is red and it is a sweet tomato. Very juicy with few seeds.

Oh one last note on the Ukrainian Paste tomato. It turns red when fully ripe. Very sweet. Not being familiar with paste tomatoes, this one has lots of juice in the top half of the tomato and hardly any at all in the bottom half, that is, if you cut across middle and not down the length of it. Most all the seeds are in the top half too.

Alrighty. That it for me. Seeds of all I posted about other than those grown for trial for the Fred's, will be sent in for the MMMM Swap. After that if I have any left, than I'll post them in the seed forum.

Toodles for now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aug152017 007.JPG (107.3 KB, 79 views)
Old August 15, 2017   #87
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
She sure is Golden alright! This is one where I mistakenly called Dixie Green Giant. Thankfully a Tv'er helped me get the name straight or I would have picked then all in green stage.

Lovely tomato. Makes lots of them. They all weigh between 12-14 oz. They turn a warm, sunshine yellow. Not a real thick skinned tomato. A very productive plant. Only had one small tomato that got BER from all the rains we had, but the hornworms sure liked this ones leaves. Thankfully they didn't get the tomatoes.
Any idea how, if at all, this one is connected to "Hilltop Golden Giant" that Sand Hill carries?
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017   #88
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Guker's Special should be a PL pink beefsteak. I think you have a cross, or simply wrong seed.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #89
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Any idea how, if at all, this one is connected to "Hilltop Golden Giant" that Sand Hill carries?
Sorry, can't help you. I haven't even heard the name Hilltop Golden Giant before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Guker's Special should be a PL pink beefsteak. I think you have a cross, or simply wrong seed.
Thanks for noticing Tormato. Well, fudge and double fudge. I tried to be so extra, extra careful this year and copying names as I brought matters in. Got a feeling that I wrote wrong name and it should be Grub's Green Mystery. It was one of last ones I picked and brought in to finish turning before rains and bugs destroyed fruits. Went out and checked labels on my containers. I had planted both, Gurker's and Grub's.

My notes say Grub's should be a PL which plant was and fruit an ambergreen color. Does that look like ambergreen color to you? I saved oodles of seed of it too.
Old August 17, 2017   #90
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Sorry, can't help you. I haven't even heard the name Hilltop Golden Giant before.

Thanks for noticing Tormato. Well, fudge and double fudge. I tried to be so extra, extra careful this year and copying names as I brought matters in. Got a feeling that I wrote wrong name and it should be Grub's Green Mystery. It was one of last ones I picked and brought in to finish turning before rains and bugs destroyed fruits. Went out and checked labels on my containers. I had planted both, Gurker's and Grub's.

My notes say Grub's should be a PL which plant was and fruit an ambergreen color. Does that look like ambergreen color to you? I saved oodles of seed of it too.

It looks to me like Grub's Mystery Green (amber green color). Tatiana's has similar pics. Remember, it's GMG not GGM when labeling packs.

On a side note, many of your tomatoes this year have yellow shoulders, which often happens. These normally would be green shoulders that would ripen to the color of the tomato. Yellow shoulders never change color.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote