Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 9, 2013   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default We're going to have tomatoes early this year!

We are going to have tomatoes early this year. They were spectacular in the greenhouse last year when we did a little pilot project. This year we will have enough to get the ball rolling quite early with our best customers.

http://baianicchia.blogspot.com/2013...r-in-2013.html
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Fred

Very nice! Your customers are going to be happy!
Old March 9, 2013   #3
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Fred,

Can you explain this process mentioned in your blog?

The plants in the greenhouse will be cut back about half way in July or August so that they can have another flush of fruit from early October to mid November.

How exactly do you cut back the plants? All over, as in a general cut-back, to allow new stems to grow out? Or is there a different method that you use?

Thanks,

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This is the method:

1. Mid Summer the plants are big (6 feet tall and bushy) and the heat in the greenhouse plus the size of the plants means lots of stress, and few new fruit. Besides, that is when our fields are producing heavily.

2. So, we simply cut half the plant off (the top 3 feet). We fertilize, and then the plants start producing new shoots and flowers and become more and more productive as the weather outside cools, and the temperatures in the greenhouse are 80s and low 90s in the fall.
Old March 9, 2013   #5
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred! I think I'll try your method on some of my cherries late in the season and see what happens. It stays in the 80s and 90s late into the fall down here in SoCal.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #6
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

This method is good only for greenhouses or it is also good for tomatoes growing in open air?
Old March 10, 2013   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

His photo shows cherries, and new mixed romas and other small fruit, you can do this type of plants i think. Any bigger tomato's would be tough to cut like this. What i did learn a few years ago, was with the only 1 stem growing the first 30 days when the plant is in ground. I get fruits early usually about 24"-30" tall, then the plant grows taller and another set of flowers. Then i let the plant spread to other stems for the last fruit near top. So i get 3 crops which is nice. All my friends just let the plants go as soon as in ground, fruit is late summer then, i give them some of mine. So 1 stem for at least 1 set of fruits near bottom for me.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We only do this with greenhouse tomatoes, and we do it because there is a heat-related lull in mid-summer production. I have no knowledge of whether it is appropriate for anyone. It just worked for us last year, so we are going to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshou View Post
This method is good only for greenhouses or it is also good for tomatoes growing in open air?
Old March 10, 2013   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet. If I understand you correctly. Early pruning of a tomato casues it to set fruit early? Does it work with both determinates and indeterminates?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #10
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Excellent point. We have only done this successfully with cherry tomatoes, and I think it has worked because cherry tomatoes can produce new flowers prolifically if they are actively growing.

In thinking back, there is one other case where this method has worked well -- we used to do it when we had cherry tomato plants in containers. If the plants are outgrowing the container (5 gallon pots in our case), it was better to cut them back severely mid-season. That way we didn't lose the plant to drought related death on a hot day when we just couldn't water enough times.

One thing to consider before you start cutting plants though -- it can greatly increase the risk of spreading disease. I am generally not a proponent of pruning, for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
His photo shows cherries, and new mixed romas and other small fruit, you can do this type of plants i think. Any bigger tomato's would be tough to cut like this. What i did learn a few years ago, was with the only 1 stem growing the first 30 days when the plant is in ground. I get fruits early usually about 24"-30" tall, then the plant grows taller and another set of flowers. Then i let the plant spread to other stems for the last fruit near top. So i get 3 crops which is nice. All my friends just let the plants go as soon as in ground, fruit is late summer then, i give them some of mine. So 1 stem for at least 1 set of fruits near bottom for me.
Old March 10, 2013   #11
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the food for thought, Fred.
Old March 11, 2013   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Man thats weird, I put down on my calander earlier to give you a call and visit in late May. Guess I will have to help you sample and critique those cherries!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #13
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Late May will be an interesting time. Definitely plan on stopping by. We should have a decent amount of cherry tomatoes then. I am already thinking about a production greenhouse for next year.
Old March 11, 2013   #14
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Looking great, those are going to be some happy "backers" - you will definitely need more greenhouse space soon! What is the yellow(green?), green-striped, elongated tomato (in the upper right corner of the photo)?

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Green Tiger. It will be available later this year.

https://awhaley.com/seeds/vegetables...an/green-tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Looking great, those are going to be some happy "backers" - you will definitely need more greenhouse space soon! What is the yellow(green?), green-striped, elongated tomato (in the upper right corner of the photo)?

Steve