Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old November 18, 2012   #106
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Also some thoughts.
Next time let"s where name tags. Could everyone make homemade cards if you don't have company cards with your name,address,phone,e-mail and AKA on Tomatoville?
That way we will not be writting them down on paper.
Also we should start a mailing list of everyone on one master list for future meetings.
also next meeting I'll have copies of recipies for organic fertilizers and organic pesticides.
Sorry i did not think to do that this time.
Anyone else have any Ideas?
Old November 19, 2012   #107
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I wrote in the Florida TAG group social page maybe a list of varietys that each brought and took away for future seed exchange so as to monitor Florida "friendly"strains and results.

Last edited by kurt; November 19, 2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelin
Old November 28, 2012   #108
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Kurt,
I can't find this anywhere.did it get posted?
Got all my plants into the ground at home and at the community garden!
Old December 2, 2012   #109
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Who wants to do a tasting event in March

I would like to know who all is interested in doing a tomato tasting in March. Also suggestions for where in the state.
Please reply to this thread if you want to do this.
-Marsha
Old December 2, 2012   #110
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely be interested!
Old December 3, 2012   #111
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
I would definitely be interested!
Thanks Jess,
Is there anyone else out there that is interested in a tasting in March somewhere in central Fl?
Old December 13, 2012   #112
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

I'm in SW FL and couldn't make it to your plant swap this time. I was very disappointed! But, I do think I could make the tasting event in March. (Any chance of plant swapping then, too? Maybe have the focus be ones for the hot, humid summer? Or, am I just dreaming that I'll have tomatoes come July and August? LOL)

Freya
Old December 14, 2012   #113
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default March event

I'm in.
Can't wait to taste and see tomato's!
Old December 14, 2012   #114
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Excellent, Thanks Freya and Cheryl. Cheryl, one central Florida gardener said he didn't think anyone in Central Florida would have tomatoes until May, but we in south Florida will have plenty in March. Do you think you will have March tomatoes? I think you will because you took several for the community garden at the swap.
-Marsha
Old December 14, 2012   #115
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

It will be hit or miss.
Last year i did have tomato's in March.I have my tomato's here and at the Community gardens in 2' high raised beds.
Last year at my house i wrapped all the plants in straw,around them and lightly abouve even,then wrapped 2 frost blankets around the 20'x4' beds and and put close pins down the middle holding it all through the wind and freezes.
I did not lose one plant and only a few of the bottom tomato's of the many green tomato's loaded on the plants.
Word from fellow strawberry growers is December 26th we are to go very cold,29*.
Last year we went down to 28* at night for about 2 weeks.I have already started mulching and brought the dirt up around them and we will be spreading the straw next week at my house and up at the community gardens this Saturday we are starting.
We will then watch the weather and at first sign of freeze add the frost blankets.Many of ours are in bloom and the ones you gave to us are not far behind and all are healthy and growing very well.
Cross our fingers and pray.
I will still have the ones we put into 20' pots and will bring them to my porch so I'll have something to bring
Have you had a host in St. Petersburg offer to have this yet?
Old December 14, 2012   #116
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

I should have at least some tomatoes in March I think. I planted some in ground but the container plants I can haul indoors.
Old December 14, 2012   #117
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
I should have at least some tomatoes in March I think. I planted some in ground but the container plants I can haul indoors.
Ann, What a gorgeous cat in the avatar!
I am glad to see there is starting to be pretty good interest. So far as a group we are south, and sort of west Fla. ,we will see if any of the centrals want to go. After the holidays things will calm down and we can get a good consensus.

Cheryl, thanks for the info, good stuff for how to keep your plants from freezing. I am just delighted to know the plants we donated are healthy and doing well.
My first casualty was Monday when I had to pull a brandywine yellow due to Spotted wilt virus. Then on Wed, a Carbon copy for the same reason. All the rest look good for now. Sprayed today with 1&1/2 aspirin tablets mixed with 1Tbsp molasses and 1 Tbsp Organic dish soap, all mixed in 2 gallons water. Hoping to boost their immune systems.
-Marsha
Old December 14, 2012   #118
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ann, What a gorgeous cat in the avatar!
Thanks! That's Sweetpea, one of my feral cat friends. She has the softest fur, and she's only ever lived outside. I put that picture there as I wanted to show DellTraveler how much the Pea looks like her avatar pic of her cat Buck.

My previous pic was my tabby Bella. She was reaching for a moth in a window.
Old December 15, 2012   #119
Garf
Tomatovillian™

This is my current cat, Harry. Indoor only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13a2.jpg (27.6 KB, 13 views)
Old December 15, 2012   #120
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Handsome Harry. Strangely, no orange cats around here. Lots of gray tabby with white paws and bellies, a few tuxedos.