Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 5, 2017   #1
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Default Would you identify this please

This is a Neves Azorean Red which got to about 10 inches tall and starting adding stems. Stems, not suckers. It got to about 6 stems and I started pruning. Eventually it got to about 3 feet tall when other tomatoes were averaging 5 feet, was very healthy and looked more like a dwarf. It has never had a blossom.

In the last few days, this has happened. I have been fighting some early blight on other tomatoes but this is the first one like this. This is mostly near the top of the plant. All other early blight on the others is at the bottom.

It is wilted in the picture because it was 2 hours after cutting before I took the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4959.jpg (557.7 KB, 110 views)
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It could be TSWV but it is hard to say without seeing a picture taken of the live plant. As to the plant putting out a lot of stems that sometimes happens with Open Pollinated varieties. Usually when it goes crazy creating stems or the stems are flat like a ribbon the plant will just no do well. I have had this type of thing happen to a few plants almost every year. Why not go ahead and replace it since it is doing so poorly? You have plenty of summer left if you have any extra plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #3
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It could be TSWV but it is hard to say without seeing a picture taken of the live plant. As to the plant putting out a lot of stems that sometimes happens with Open Pollinated varieties. Usually when it goes crazy creating stems or the stems are flat like a ribbon the plant will just no do well. I have had this type of thing happen to a few plants almost every year. Why not go ahead and replace it since it is doing so poorly? You have plenty of summer left if you have any extra plants.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I have pulled it and will replace it. First time with me for a multi stemmed plant. Plant was very healthly looking except for all the stems and this TSWV or whatever near the top. It appeared to be TSWV to me based on all the images I could find.

Early Blight seems the main problem right now. I'm chasing it up a Crnkovic Yugoslavian right now. I hope I win before I run out of plant.
Old June 6, 2017   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just found another plant that had to be yanked with TSWV. That makes a total of four so far and I am keeping an eye on one more that isn't looking up to snuff but no definite signs of TSWV yet. For me that is a great start to only lose 4 out of 70 plants by June. Usually I am looking at nearer a dozen by this time of the season so I hope my luck holds.

I too am seeing more Early Blight than normal and it is traveling up the plants faster than usual; but I'm assuming that has something to do with the rain and high humidity. I guess I need to keep a close eye out for gray mold and for mildew on squash with this weather.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV). First I knew about this virus. It is now world wide and most devastating. It has many hosts.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=TSWV+B...t=11&FORM=PORE Much information on this nasty.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #6
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Tomato spotted wilt virus (TSWV). First I knew about this virus. It is now world wide and most devastating. It has many hosts.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=TSWV+B...t=11&FORM=PORE Much information on this nasty.
Thanks, that was my conclusion also. As B54 recommended, I have already replaced it.