Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2017   #61
green_go
Tomatovillian™

I only know which sweet peppers I will be sending:
1. Flavorburst F2
2. Tolli's Sweet
3. Jimmy Nardello

4. Orangevoye Chudo (Russian: Orange Wonder)- most productive orange pepper in my short season garden
5. Zolotoy Telets (Russian: Golden Taurus) - yellow-orange bells
6. Zolotoy Dozhd (Russian: Golden Rain) - large "cheese" type fruits, yellow-orange and very productive

Last edited by green_go; October 2, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
green_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #62
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm definitely sending Pruden's Black, Glovel (my new favorite pink), Marvelosa, Gardener's Sweetheart, and Ron's Carbon Copy. I'm still deciding on the rest...
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017   #63
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Tormato will be posting non-tomato seeds in a separate list, but here is a sneak preview of the decorative pumpkins I bought for decoration (using Harris Seeds as id reference) and will scoop tomorrow

Blue Doll F1
One Too Many F1
Porcelain Doll F1
Cotton Candy

Should be fun to compare what we get as grow outs next year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #64
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Going to mail my seeds tomorrow. Will include two tomatoes that were on Gary's list.
Also sending Beans:
Forelle
Orca

Peas:
Green Beauty - yummy snap pea
Desire Dwarf Blauwschokkers -has purple pods
Carouby de Maussane -snow pea
Crown -pink blossoms

Ali Baba watermelon
Petit Gris de Rennes melon
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017   #65
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Tormato will be posting non-tomato seeds in a separate list, but here is a sneak preview of the pumpkins I bought for decoration (using Harris Seeds as id reference) and will scoop tomorrow

Blue Doll F1
One Too Many F1
Porcelain Doll F1
Cotton Candy

Should be fun to compare what we get as grow outs next year.

- Lisa
One Two Many F1 seeds are drying. I was surprised that the interior flesh is not the least but orange. It was rather hollow too. Hardly any flesh to scoop out. Great for decoration if that is what you are looking for.

A good cook friend made pumpkin pie from a white pumpkin and wasn't too impressed, so I tossed the rind. Did not want to attract critters to the porch eating the rind like some here do. :0

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 12, 2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old November 11, 2017   #66
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

All these different peppers and beans and peas and EVERYTHING is making me drool.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #67
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
One Two Many F1 seeds are drying. I was surprised that the interior flesh is not the least but orange. It was rather hollow too. Hardly any flesh to scoop out. Great for decoration if that is what you are looking for.

A good cook friend made pumpkin pie from a white pumpkin and wasn't too impressed, so I tossed the rind. Did not want to attract critters to the porch.
The Blue Doll F1 was delish! It is a very heavy dense pumpkin compared to a decorative orange globe. The meat was so sweet. I cooked it for about an hour and a half and stood over the counter lapping it up with butter close to midnight. It didn't produce as many seeds as the One Too Many F1 (maybe less than half) but I still have lots to share. I hope they dry in time for the swap. otherwise I'll have a seed offer in the spring. I read that blue pumpkins originated in Australia. Anyone know the parents of this hybrid?

I've never grown a winter squash before except for acorrn. I may have to grow a few less tomatoes (gasp) and more winter squash next summer.

- Lisa
-
Old December 11, 2017   #68
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

I sent in seeds from these plants:

TOMATO
1. TIGRETTE (bagged): indet., orange, with stripes on elongated fruits. Plant looks exactly as green tiger and taste is identic (sweet, superb flovor), but production was higher for me. I got them from this site: http://www.mooiemoestuin.nl/tomaat2/tigrette/
2. HOHLOMA (bagged and non bagged): indet. roma tomato. I am not sure how it is written. Have seen: hochloma, hohloma, khokhloma.
3. REVEREND MICHAEL KEYES (bagged): indet., multiflora (but less productive than rose quartz), red, plum cherry.
4. SNOW WHITE (bagged): indet., white cherry.
5. GREEN GRAPE (bagged): bush, sweet green when ripe cherry.
6. AURANTIACUM (bagged): indet., multiflora, yellow cherry.
7. PICCOLO F7 (bagged): indet., red cherry. Piccolo is a hybrid sold under the same 'Honingtomaat' in Belgium/Holland/Germany. F7, I suppose it is stable by now. Very tasty: sweet but stiff skin.
8. ROSE QUARTZ MULTIFLORA (bagged): indet., multiflora, pink cherry.

PEPPERS
1. MIX BIQUINHO AND BIQUINHO IRACEMA (not bagged): capsicum chinense, hardly any heat.
2. LIPSTICK (not bagged): capsicum annuum
3. MINI BELL YELLOW (not bagged): capsicum annuum
4. KABOUTERMUTSENPAPRIKA (not bagged): capsicum annuum. sweet red 'gnome hat' pepper. Pic: http://www.mooiemoestuin.nl/Paprika/kaboutermuts/
5. NUMEX SUAVE ORANGE (I mistakingly wrote 'yellow') (not bagged): capsicum chinense, hardly any heat.
6. OPHELIA (not bagged): capsicum annuum, orange, sweet snack pepper. Produces lots of small peppers. My favorite: very sweet and prolific in our cool climat. Pics: http://www.fruitlent.nl/verkoop/popu...n/ophelia.html

OTHER
1. PHYSALIS PUBESCENS
2. ACHOCHA 'LADY'S SLIPPERS'

Last edited by Ann123; December 12, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2017   #69
MdTNGrdner

Ann, how do you prepare the Achocha? I saw it mostly stuffed when I Googled it but am curious about preserving (canning as relish, pickling, etc). Thanks
~Bee
Old December 12, 2017   #70
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

You can eat it raw when it is very young. Tastes like a cucumber without water. Not my favorite way, since it has some bitterness to it. I prefer to eat it when it is fully grown. Indeed, stuffed. But more often I add it to a wok dish. It keeps its bite and is somehow like a green pepper.
I have never canned nor preserved. But I bet you can, just like cucamelons are picked. Be sure to remove the seeds because they are huge and non edible.
Old December 12, 2017   #71
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann123 View Post
It keeps its bite and is somehow like a green pepper.
This is very interesting. Would it share a 10' long x 7' tall trellis with some beans or tomatoes, do you think, or take it over completely?
Old December 13, 2017   #72
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Well... In the beginning of the summer they are timid but when it starts getting warmer it will become a monster. I live in a cool climate.
Maybe you should try with only one, or only a couple? That way you can guide him where you want him to grow.
Old December 13, 2017   #73
MdTNGrdner

Yes, I am thinking to plant two together in a spot where they can run on the ground if necessary, after climbing up and down the 7' trellis. I'll give them 4' to 5' of width and see what happens.

They're on my wishlist. Thank you for sharing them!
Old March 13, 2018   #74
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Ann, how do you prepare the Achocha? I saw it mostly stuffed when I Googled it but am curious about preserving (canning as relish, pickling, etc). Thanks
~Bee
I just found this recipe. A quiche filled with achocha, leeks and corn. Looks delicious, certainly the crust. I would use eggs instead of cornstarch.

https://youtu.be/x0V6ZgRFHPI
Old March 14, 2018   #75
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Any special treatment for germinating achocha seed? It is very odd looking, sort of like little jig saw puzzle pieces.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote