Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2017   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marsha, I know your thread is about Rebel Alliance, but I got confused after the second post that mentioned Rebel Yell. I can add one thing - Rebel Yell does try to fight off RKN, but it needs some rootstock help. I'm sure there is something better yet to come. Could you imagine the day when we can plant seeds in the ground again?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyC-5 View Post
I am blaming the poor set on the hot temperatures. It's not suppose to be 90's in June when tomatoes are blooming. It has been hot and dry all summer, no measurable rain since June 28. And no rain in sight for the near future. Was 90 today, but will only be 84 tomorrow then back up in the low 90's for the week end. I do have other tomatoes but not as many as should have set. And I do go out and tap the stems for pollination.
Yes, heat is coming on faster and stronger every year. I don't know how all who must do their gardening in the heat of summer are even able to manage. I need to let Russ Aceto, the breeder, know this variety does better in cooler weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Marsha, I know your thread is about Rebel Alliance, but I got confused after the second post that mentioned Rebel Yell. I can add one thing - Rebel Yell does try to fight off RKN, but it needs some rootstock help. I'm sure there is something better yet to come. Could you imagine the day when we can plant seeds in the ground again?
The key word here is again. Florida "soil" is basically sand. The nematodes have been here for millennia, there was never successful tomato gardening in South Florida native soil. I am glad grafting will work for you, Robert, for me, I can't imagine going to that much trouble, and since I solarize and then just add additional soil and nutrients I don't have too much expense by using my containers. the container solves the problem just fine.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #33
charline
Tomatovillian™

I got 0 of 3 in the first try, then 2 of 3 on the second try
Very productive and very beautiful but flavor was not exceptional
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I got 0 of 3 in the first try, then 2 of 3 on the second try
Very productive and very beautiful but flavor was not exceptional
It must be true about everyone's tastes being different, and growing conditions different. Mine were great, sweet with acid balance, far better than lots of cherries. Did you have a lot if rain this year, Charline?
Old August 31, 2017   #35
charline
Tomatovillian™

No, almost no rain and unusually hot, very hot....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2017   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
No, almost no rain and unusually hot, very hot....
Oh interesting. More and more I'm seeing that this is a variety that likes a cooler weather better than heat.
Old September 3, 2017   #37
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It is delicious tomato. Both of my plants are growing in containers. I was afraid the taste may be a little watered down because of that but it is not at all.
Thank you, Marsha, for sharing.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
It is delicious tomato. Both of my plants are growing in containers. I was afraid the taste may be a little watered down because of that but it is not at all.
Thank you, Marsha, for sharing.
You are welcome, Ella. I love the taste, intense and yet sweet. I had loads of them, just like Dee above.