Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 5, 2015   #31
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! I've cooked with wine a bit and liked, but never tried cooking with beer/ale...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Interesting! I've cooked with wine a bit and liked, but never tried cooking with beer/ale...
Basic German recipe.
Very good.

Just dont use cheap bier/beer to cook with.

Worth
Karotten im Bier.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2w&cad=rja

Last edited by Worth1; April 5, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Worth, that sounds wonderful. No sugar or honey? Butter? Or, just the bier?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Worth, that sounds wonderful. No sugar or honey? Butter? Or, just the bier?
Sugar dark beer salt butter.
The recipe is on the link.
Worth
Old April 5, 2015   #35
bower
Tomatovillian™

Beale, you may like to know that you can actually grow carrots in a Walmart bag or a bucket - I know a fella here who grows carrots all winter long in 5 gallon buckets. The bag I think would help to keep em from drying out in the wind, if you do keep it watered.

I also planted some carrots in the fall in my greenhouse containers, and they got pretty dry but wow they have taken off the moment they got some water. It's hot and cold in there now so they may or may not be fit to eat - heat is not good for carrots. We'll see...

Worth, I like the idea of bitter beer and carrots, but I would add honey all the same.

My fave is to throw a bay leaf in some olive oil in a small pot, add chopped carrots and stir for a few minutes, then sprinkle with salt and stir in a dollop of honey, cover them for just one minute and they're done in their own juice... yum. Even better add some peas just before covering.. yum yum.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #36
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think it is too late to grow good carrots starting seed this late. I live much further south than you but I'm pretty sure your summer temps will be right up there. Carrots maturing in really hot weather tend not to be sweet. I usually start carrots from mid October through February . I usually only start a small amount every few weeks. Usually the Novermber and December planted carrots are the largest and sweetest.

Worth this winter I actually lost most of my November carrots to the hard freezes. This is the first time that has ever happened and even the ones that survived never recovered fully.

I agree about watering several times a day until you get a good stand. One thing to be careful of is not to allow so much water that it puddles as carrot seed will float away. I try to use a fine sprinkle and go over the area several times to wet it well. Heavy rains can totally ruin a carrot planting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I think it is too late to grow good carrots starting seed this late. I live much further south than you but I'm pretty sure your summer temps will be right up there. Carrots maturing in really hot weather tend not to be sweet. I usually start carrots from mid October through February . I usually only start a small amount every few weeks. Usually the Novermber and December planted carrots are the largest and sweetest.

Worth this winter I actually lost most of my November carrots to the hard freezes. This is the first time that has ever happened and even the ones that survived never recovered fully.

I agree about watering several times a day until you get a good stand. One thing to be careful of is not to allow so much water that it puddles as carrot seed will float away. I try to use a fine sprinkle and go over the area several times to wet it well. Heavy rains can totally ruin a carrot planting.

Bill
Bill I cant put too much water on my beds.
Any excess water just runs out the bottom and waters the cacti and agave.
Worth
Old April 15, 2015   #38
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Worth, I like the idea of bitter beer and carrots, but I would add honey all the same.

My fave is to throw a bay leaf in some olive oil in a small pot, add chopped carrots and stir for a few minutes, then sprinkle with salt and stir in a dollop of honey, cover them for just one minute and they're done in their own juice... yum. Even better add some peas just before covering.. yum yum.
I dont ever buy bitter beer, bought some Sierra Nevada one time and it ended up in the compost pile.

Worth
Old April 15, 2015   #39
karla-
Tomatovillian™

Here's a tip I found on another gardening forum for carrots and it has worked amazingly well for me so far. I used 1 ply of paper towel and used a small dab of white Elmer's glue to glue down the carrot seeds. Once the glue dried, I rolled up the paper towels and stuck them in the freezer for a few weeks. Then I planted them in my garden with the glued-seed-side down in late February. When it was cold (up until late March) I watered a couple times a week, although now it's once a day. Because of the paper towel being on top of the seeds, they didn't blow away and they didn't dry up. My little carrot tops are 1-2" tall now and I have almost 100% germination (I did four squares - four different varieties with 25 per square). The square paper towel was perfect for me because I have a square foot garden, but this is basically a homemade 'carrot tape' that you could make in any configuration to suit your garden needs. Having the paper towel on top of the seeds really helped with keeping them from drying out, and the seedlings had no problem going through the paper towel to grow. I did have concerns about gluing the seeds down, but Elmer's glue is non-toxic and kindergarten kids have been eating some of it for generations, so I figured it can't be that bad :-)
karla- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2015   #40
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I love bitter beer. I hate sweet beer. Blech! Carrots and beer sound really good to me. I will try that this fall. I wonder if sweet beer would turn bitter carrots sweet? So many times the carrots I buy at the store are bitter. They taste like they've been sitting around somewhere for months.

Worth, do you like bitter greens like escarole or any of the chicory varieties? I bought some kind of chicory at the grocery store and the cashier asked me what it was. I told her and she asked if it was bitter. I said, "yes" and then she said, "so why are you buying it if it's bitter?" I said, "Because I like it!"
Old April 15, 2015   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Oh, I love bitter beer. I hate sweet beer. Blech! Carrots and beer sound really good to me. I will try that this fall. I wonder if sweet beer would turn bitter carrots sweet? So many times the carrots I buy at the store are bitter. They taste like they've been sitting around somewhere for months.

Worth, do you like bitter greens like escarole or any of the chicory varieties? I bought some kind of chicory at the grocery store and the cashier asked me what it was. I told her and she asked if it was bitter. I said, "yes" and then she said, "so why are you buying it if it's bitter?" I said, "Because I like it!"
Yes I love bitter greens like chicory,
radicchio, endive
and oil cured bitter olives.

I like to eat the bitter oil cured olives with a beer like Fat Tire, Newcastle or Harp.
They have flavor not just bitter.
I also let my ales, porters and stouts breath in a tall glass before I drink them and never ice cold.
Externally cold beer ruins the flavor like it does a good wine so I drink it around 45 to 50 degrees, even 60.
That is the reason people drink rot gut beer ice cold, because it tastes so bad.

Worth
Old April 15, 2015   #42
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I like Harp too. They tricked me by changing the box. It used to be green and right before St. Patty's Day, they changed it to blue, but I found it!