Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 9, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default My Onions

All of my onions are really sprouting and looking great! I really am thinking about building another Smaller Raised Bed Just for these. I am worried that I will not have room in my 2 beds for them. I have 1 pound of onions planted. The bed I build will also hold all my Herbs. What do y'all Think?

Like 8' in length by 3' wide? 14" High?

Thanks in advance Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I think it's hard to have too many raised beds...or too many onions.I've got onions planted in raised beds this year- some from sets and some from seed/plants. I spaced them 6" apart in all directions. I leave more space between the herbs because they spread and shade one another out if too close. The depth of your proposed bed is tall enough for carrots, so onions will be plenty happy. Go for it!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

What variety of onion are you growing?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'll be planting my onions started from seed out this weekend! My raised beds have about 8" depth (above existing ground).

I did an experiment last year, where I planted 4, 5, and 9 onions per square foot to see how each arrangement did in terms of yield. The onions planted 4 and 5 per square foot were a bit larger, but the 9 / sq ft had higher yield by weight. I grew Copra and the ones grown 9 / sq ft were generally racketball sized with approaching tennis ball sized. I'm planting all my onions 9 / sq ft again this year. I like the size for cooking too--sometimes 1 onion that size is enough, otherwise I just use more. I'll grow Copra again this year and I am also trying Cortland.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #5
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
What variety of onion are you growing?

Just a Basic big onion. Although I want to get some Small like Green onion That you only eat the top. Mine will be the big ball size or smaller depending on how far apart I put them, Beale.
Old April 9, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
Just a Basic big onion. Although I want to get some Small like Green onion That you only eat the top. Mine will be the big ball size or smaller depending on how far apart I put them, Beale.
They didn't say what they were?
There are sweet onions and long keeper onions.
Plant your onions closer together and pick the ones you want to eat as scallions as you thin them out.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #7
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

No they just said Onions, I will get a picture on Friday Worth, Thanks.
Old April 9, 2015   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I went crazy on onions this year. I hope they end up doing well. Red white yellow, Texas sweeties, Egyptian runners (Egyptian walkers on steroids), you name it I got it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #9
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I went crazy on onions this year. I hope they end up doing well. Red white yellow, Texas sweeties, Egyptian runners (Egyptian walkers on steroids), you name it I got it.
Sounds Fun!! Beale.
Old April 9, 2015   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

If you ever find yourself short on onion plants, or if you just want to learn about growing onions, Dixondale Farms in Texas is a good resource.
http://www.dixondalefarms.com/
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I want some of those Egyptian runners. Where do you get them?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Okay, I want some of those Egyptian runners. Where do you get them?
I have 2 kinds. One I ordered online, and one I got from a trade here. Instead of flowering, they produce bulbils. When that happens you can collect the bulbils and replant..or share.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; April 10, 2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old April 10, 2015   #13
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have 2 kinds. One I ordered online, and one I got from a trade here. Instead of flowering, they produce bulbils. When that happens you can collect the bulbils and replant..or share.

I like that, Beale.
Old April 19, 2015   #14
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What property varies to make the Egyptian walkers into runners . . . more bulbil- babies? Taller stalks for longer outreach coverage with the offspring? Tiny slingshot structures at the bulbil base to fling the little ones far from mama plant? Burr type coverings on the bubils so they can attach to passing mammals and enlarge their "travel to new growth site" range?

(I probably shouldn't be doing this at 2am . . . seems to be only time available lately, though. )
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #15
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
What property varies to make the Egyptian walkers into runners . . . more bulbil- babies? Taller stalks for longer outreach coverage with the offspring? Tiny slingshot structures at the bulbil base to fling the little ones far from mama plant? Burr type coverings on the bubils so they can attach to passing mammals and enlarge their "travel to new growth site" range?

(I probably shouldn't be doing this at 2am . . . seems to be only time available lately, though. )
Some of these have such growth that the stalks that have bulbils have such vigorous bulbils that the bulbils have stalks containing even more bulbils! And a few last year had bulbils on bulbils on bulbils!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison