Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 15, 2015   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumbers

Help with self-pollinating cucumbers for my greenhouse.

thank
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Help with self-pollinating cucumbers for my greenhouse.

thank
Google search done specifically for cuke pollination in greenhouses, which is for sure different from those of us who grow cukes outdoors.

I looked at several links and I think you'll find some good information.Varieties that I like which are parthenocarpic are also excellent ones to be grown in greenhouses as well.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ion+greenhouse

Carolyn
Old August 15, 2015   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean parthenocarpic varieties? Or using a male flower on the female flowers?

If the first, then Telegraph Improved is supposed to be pretty good in the greenhouse setting. Excelsior is solid too.

The beit-alphas taste great. Here's an article that tells you all about them.

http://www.hos.ufl.edu/protectedag/EDIS/CV27700.pdf
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I tried Picolino F1 Hybrid this spring and am very pleased with it. I grew it in a pot in my small greenhouse, and moved it outside later in the summer. It stays compact and sets an amazing number of cucumbers for the length of the vine without a pollinator. I put a few plants in the ground, and they do well there too. I recently started another potted Picolino in hopes of keeping it going in the greenhouse until cold weather makes me shut it down.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I tried Picolino F1 Hybrid this spring and am very pleased with it. I grew it in a pot in my small greenhouse, and moved it outside later in the summer. It stays compact and sets an amazing number of cucumbers for the length of the vine without a pollinator. I put a few plants in the ground, and they do well there too. I recently started another potted Picolino in hopes of keeping it going in the greenhouse until cold weather makes me shut it down.
I bought seeds for Picolino as well, I think from Pinetree seeds and they weren't cheap, that I remember as well. Also am growing Miniature White, not parthenocarpic and huge numbers of small cukes that I also love, almost as much as Picolino.

Also growing some Armenian cukes, Cucumis melo ( actually a melon type), as opposed to true cukes which are Cucumis sativus but the Amenian ones don't seem to want to grow up the rungs of that wooden latter under which the container is with the plants.

Yes, I love cukes, mainly fresh eating but also pickled as well.

Gerardo, it lookds like you were answering my post and yes, I said parthenocarpic, not having male and female blossoms and insect pollinated.

Carolyn
Old August 15, 2015   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I bought seeds for Picolino as well, I think from Pinetree seeds and they weren't cheap, that I remember as well. Also am growing Miniature White, not parthenocarpic and huge numbers of small cukes that I also love, almost as much as Picolino.

Also growing some Armenian cukes, Cucumis melo ( actually a melon type), as opposed to true cukes which are Cucumis sativus but the Amenian ones don't seem to want to grow up the rungs of that wooden latter under which the container is with the plants.

Yes, I love cukes, mainly fresh eating but also pickled as well.

Gerardo, it lookds like you were answering my post and yes, I said parthenocarpic, not having male and female blossoms and insect pollinated.

Carolyn
I was actually asking #1, hadn't seen yours until later. Suggested the beit-alphas because I enjoy them. [SOME ARE]They are both gynoecious and parthenocarpic, so they fit the greenhouse bill quite nicely.

I've been experimenting trying to find the right one for my conditions. Yesterday I potted up Delikatesse, Richmond Green Apple, White Emerald, and Sagami Hanjiro.

This morning I harvested Muncher and now they're in a refreshing beverage. Up next for harvest: Super Zagross.

I've no doubt we'll come up with a consensus on greenhouse varieties for post #1.
Great Saturday to all.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 15, 2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: "SOME ARE" Instead of "they are" re: Beit Alphas
Old August 15, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have bumble bees and red wasps pollinating my cucumbers not a honey bee to be seen.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #8
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have bumble bees and red wasps pollinating my cucumbers not a honey bee to be seen.

Worth
'Tis the year of the wasp (as another TVillian stated) around here, lots of butterflies, some bees.

I'm glad to see my childhood toys Cotinis mutabilis have returned. They swoop in and scan every nook and cranny for food. Beautiful colors. Childhood karmic debt is hefty with these guys, so they eat undisturbed.