Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 17, 2008   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Very anxious seeds! The joy of germination....

The 2008 season is officially underway - I planted a flat of mixed greens, herbs and flowers on Friday. So, here it is Sunday morning - lo and behold, there are Arugula, Basil and Lettuce seedlings poking their heads up - two days!

Thanks to Tomaddict, I am going to grow a mixture of different lettuces (my generous pal sent me a bit of nearly 20 different types). Now I gotta get out there and grub the chickweek out of the lettuce row, give it a dig and get it ready!

What a great time of year this is! Today I finish seeding the hot peppers....later this week, tomato time!
Old February 17, 2008   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Just about the same here. Peppers went into flats yesterday, along with lettuce, (Jhonny's All-Star mix is excellent), Spinach and Carrots went in the ground.
Two weeks until tomatoes for me but sure is plenty of fun getting ready!

Sniiiiiffffff...can you smell Spring in the air?

The local farms are showing signs of green in the fields too. Starting to get a little color around here. Love it.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yep, it's a great time of year. Good to get our hands back in the dirt.

I just planted sugar snap peas, snow peas and radishes. My lettuce and cabbage seedlings are ready to harden off. All my eggplant seed has germinated and most of the peppers. I might sow some beets next weekend. 8)
Old February 18, 2008   #4
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Aaarrrghhhhhhhhhh! It's still too early here.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2008   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Oh, the joy of those first seeds sprouting!! Speaking of lettuce, I found several varieties in Cook's Garden that I wanted to try but have so much various lettuce seed that I thought I would wait until next year. Yugoslavian Red and the Heatwave blend and Curly Ruffle Mix looked interesting. I have 10 Rosemary sprouts and a flat of Blue Bedder sage under lights right now. I'm going to start some carnation and a few other things but not sure what I will do with them when I start the whole tomato operation. I did put some "winter sow" flats out because I knew I would never have room for everything. I put some Stupice out there so I could compare them to what I will start early in here.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote