Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 15, 2011   #16
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Hey Lindsey, glad you're here! You have found a slice of heaven... Tomatoville is great! I would really reccomend Tatiana's Tomato Base. Tania posts often, so you can actually get to know her. I order from her site more than any other, and I trust her very much. Even if you don't order seeds from her, her website is full of info, as Tania mentioned a few posts before. Tania even has lettuce, melons, and peppers, too!

If you want a variety of sources, I'd also reccomend to you Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. They are a family business, and have all types of vegetables, too.

I've ordered from Tomatofest before and Gary Ibsen, (owner) is very nice and will email you back right away! However, I've heard of some complaints about wrong seed, but that is to be expected once in a while.

Have fun in the wonderful world of tomatoes, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Best wishes,
Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2011   #17
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lindsey

Welcome to the Forum, pls post often! For a green tomato, look at my thread in undercover gardening here and take a look at Dwarf Jade Beauty

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20160

Scroll down and you can see this wonderful green tomato that our own dwarf project produced. Other green when ripe varieties are another one from the dwarf project -summertime green. Green doctors is a green when ripe tomato that is very good also.
Old December 15, 2011   #18
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

One more recommendation for a great small business that sells tomato seeds: The Sample Seed Shop.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are threads in the Seed and plant resource Forum for MANY companies and It might be valuable for you to take some time and read the comments about those companies. I don't know ONE person who orders seed from just ONE place.

Above is what I posted earlier in this thread. And Ami gave a link to that Forum and so it's really easy to look at individual companies and see the feedback from many folks here who have had personal experience with those various companies in the past and also now.

Nothing wrong with individuals saying try this one or try that one, some referring to their own website listings, but for an overall picture, and to be fair especially to those who have just started new companies selling tomato seeds and sometimes more, perhaps a look in the Plant and Seed Forum might be useful.

In my first post here I said that I could make a list of the companies I felt good about and that's based on reading/posting at many different message sites in the past ( several decades actually)as well as now. It's also based on knowing the owners of many sites as well and how they operate.

So I opted to not make a list of companies, rather, to suggest looking at feedback from lots of folks for a single company. And if truth be told, I think many folks have Ided some of the best companies, but for sure there are some really good ones that have not yet been mentioned, that I also know.

Just a gentle suggestion based on the fact that I know there are many seed site owners who don't post here at Tville and many who do but are probably so busy right now that they aren't even aware of this thread.

I know it's hard to believe but not every Tville member comes here every day as many of us do.

Call me an egalitarian, I can live with that.
Old December 20, 2011   #20
muck4doo
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Lindsey. For some real fun join a seed exchange group or two next year. Some places I will recommend from personal experience are Remy's Sample Seed Shop, Wild Boar Farms, and Gray Ibsens Tomatofest. All three of them have given me nothing but awesome service. In my zone we are starting planting now. Not sure which zone you are in. Some of the seed vendors may be out of certain stock. Message me if you still have time before planting, and vendors are out of what you are looking for. I have tons of varieties this year. I might have what you want if they are out. Otherwise, those three are very safe choices, and you can be sure you will get your order within days, not weeks.
muck4doo is offline   Reply With Quote