Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2011   #16
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome.Seedlings look nice and strong. So far so good.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #17
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Walter. out of 8 Hoy seed's planted on March 23, I now have four up, with what looks like three more about to emerge..So seven out of eight..Nice! It took eight days for the first seedling to emerge, nine day's for the second, and on day ten, two more!

I had the seed's germinating in the GH. during the day, at temps ranging around 75 degrees.

Thank's for the extra Hoy seed you recently sent..I was glad to have more on hand in case my germination was not great..No worries now..Just took longer to germinate..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #18
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

That's good news Ginny. And it does seem to me at least that sometimes these are slow to emerge, although I had pretty good germination all told. I hope everyone else has had some success. There is still some seed left for distribution. I think everyone is coming down to the wire though in terms of starts.

It was pretty warm last week but this morning at about 5 the wind and rain were impressive. It's Windy today and in the low 60s. We needed that rain though, it has been dry here.

I'm getting to the point where I don't have any more room. That's the kind of problem you want to have though, instead of needing more and having to go buy some plants at the last minute to fill the space.

Have a good season, and thanks for those varieties you sent me too.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #19
applemnet
Tomatovillian™

Default Hoy Germination

I am so disappointed that none of my Hoy seeds germinated. I had great germination on all of my other 32 varieties. Hope someone saves me a few Hoy seeds for next year.
applemnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #20
WillysWoodPile

These guys are doing okay. I need to get them in more sunlight.

Old April 6, 2011   #21
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Willy,

They look good, but your Hoy seedlings are ready to be transplanted. They are getting tall and a few are falling over..plant them deep, all the way up to the second set of leaves. They will grow more roots all along the stem.
Old April 6, 2011   #22
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Willy,

They look good, but your Hoy seedlings are ready to be transplanted. They are getting tall and a few are falling over..plant them deep, all the way up to the second set of leaves. They will grow more roots all along the stem.
Thanks for the reminder BGF, I am in the process of doing a number of things right now. It's busy-bee time. I just had somebody come over and we traded seeds and plants. Now I have more stuff.
Old April 7, 2011   #23
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I received my seeds on April 1, soaked them in water overnight and popped them in soil mix on April 2nd. Tonight before turning off the lights, I noticed one Hoy seedling was pushing it's little white back up, so had sprouted in five days. I planted all 8 seeds, since early reports of germination were iffy. But even if no more show up, I'm good!

Thanks to Walter, and Medbury Garden for sharing!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011   #24
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Nice little tomato plants! I'm uber curious about the "Dancing with the Smurfs" purple pot over to the right in the pic though! Inquiring minds...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011   #25
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Willy,

All snuggled in their new Pro-Mix BX beds.

Old April 7, 2011   #26
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
Nice little tomato plants! I'm uber curious about the "Dancing with the Smurfs" purple pot over to the right in the pic though! Inquiring minds...
Sorry to say, that out of 23 seeds these are all I have. 5 seeds sown; and then 18 seeds sown.

But I surely see evidence of anthocyanin in the stems. And rather than being disappointed with terrible germination, I am happy to work with what I do have.
Old April 7, 2011   #27
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloz View Post
Planted 4 Hoy seeds on the 21st and 3 are just peeking through this morning. So that is 7 days with heat from below and 60 degrees F air temp.
The 4th seed decided to sprout today. That makes 17 days for the 4th seed to sprout. I guess some of these Hoy seeds like to take their time.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011   #28
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Willy, Your transplanted seedlings look good! Very cozy indeed! They should take off pretty good now!

Ginny
Old April 8, 2011   #29
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Well folks I am down to five seedlings. For some reason one died. I am sure it was not dampening off.We all loose seedlings for one reason or another but still the other five should be fine and will be potted up Friday.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #30
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

This variety does have its idiosyncrasies in germination. But so far I would say it is a robust grower. Time will tell. Medbury Gardens sure had some great looking tomatoes from Hoy. Hope we get that too.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote