Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 11, 2011   #1
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Default Pruning and sucker removal on indoor grown, indet. dwarf plants

I just watched this short video on pruning indeterminate tomatoes, something I already do on my outdoor summertime plants:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/t-videotomatopruning.aspx

This winter, I am growing around 10-12 New Dwarf indeterminate varieties (Mr. Snow, Summertime Green/Gold, etc.). I have these growing under artificial light, and I'm about to transplant them into Raybo's InnTainer system from the 6" pots they currently reside within.

Most of the little dwarfs are growing into toddlers, now at about 10" on average, soil to tip; and they are flowering all. They majority also have several 1"+ suckers, that on a normal tomato I would have probably already removed. My question is what are the pros and cons, case for and against, removing suckers on a bushy, yet indet., dwarf type plant grown indoors?

Any thoughts or experience on this sub-category of a familiar topic?

Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

Thanks for the Video links. I learned something watching the cucumber pruning Video that I did not know before.

For my InnTainers, I am going to refrain from pruning the Suckers - - but will be giving the larger plants a "hair-cut" on the outer branches to keep them from encroaching on their neighbors.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #3
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray, I'm glad the link was helpful. I'm still not sure how I want to handle the suckers on these indet. dwarf. I agree with the chops to keep them in their place, but I wonder if I'll be limiting fruit size/quality (not necessarily production) by staying my hand against the sucker removal. I have enough duplicates of a couple of my plants (4x RP, 2x Mr. Snow, 2x Smt Gld) that I could try a little experimentation to compare the two "techniques."

I don't know about where you're at in Cambell, but here in Roseville, CA I've pretty much managed 100% on the sunlight coming through my south-facing garagedoor for the past month. I think the cold is the only concern with temps now getting down well below 50F at night and in the morning when I open the door.
-naysen
Old December 12, 2011   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Naysen, with the dwarfs I wouldn't worry so much about pruning as support for the fruit trusses. When the plants start loading up and the fruits increase in size if you don't support them the trusses will break from the weight of the fruits. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2287.JPG (153.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2288.JPG (205.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2289.JPG (193.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by amideutch; December 12, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #5
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow.. monster fruits on those tiny plants.. what varieties are they?
Old December 12, 2011   #6
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Ami, thanks for the input. One difference between your setup and mine is that mine will be indoors and somewhat volumetrically constrained. I'm amazed by your fruit to plant ratio in those picks. I do need to start architecting a support system for my dwarf plants.
Old December 12, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

I was able to find some left-over small cages at Lowes 2 weeks ago. Finding tomato cages this time of year is a problem.

Raybo
Old December 12, 2011   #8
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Naysen,

I was able to find some left-over small cages at Lowes 2 weeks ago. Finding tomato cages this time of year is a problem.

Raybo
Yes, you've nailed the next task. I've got to source twelve, but where to find them...

-n
Old December 12, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Get yourself to Lowes as soon as you can. Ask in the Garden Dept. They still have about 50 at the Lowes next to the San Jose Airport.

Raybo
Old December 12, 2011   #10
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Are you using the 33" or 42"?
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDi...d=10051&rpp=48
-naysen
Old December 12, 2011   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

I am using the 3 hoop version which is 12 inches at the top hoop. Here is a photo of them I posted on the InnTainer Thread:

I was more concerned with the horizontal dimension to fit within the overall InnTainer dimensions, rather than going for the taller version.

I fasten them together at the middle hoopset with a 1/8" wire rope clip to provide some rigidity.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; December 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old December 12, 2011   #12
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Looks good Ray. I think I found a Lowes not too far from me where I can pick-up twelve. I'll just use tie wraps to attach the center rungs together.
-naysen
Old December 12, 2011   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

Do what you want with the tie wraps, but I would strongly recommend using a $0.47 wire rope clip from Lowes. This RIGIDLY secures the two cages together, and will interlock them from tipping over. Well worth the expense.

Raybo
Old December 12, 2011   #14
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Naysen,

Do what you want with the tie wraps, but I would strongly recommend using a $0.47 wire rope clip from Lowes. This RIGIDLY secures the two cages together, and will interlock them from tipping over. Well worth the expense.

Raybo
But then I have to walk around in circles for minutes on end looking for them. Ah, I guess you're probably right. Maybe I can find them online. Thanks for the tip.
-n
Old December 13, 2011   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I never had problems using tie wraps on my cages. Just remember, the black ones have UV inhibitors and the white ones don't.

Ami