Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 11, 2016   #1
Mule Valley
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruit without Leaves

Out of 81 tomato plants I have a half a dozen that are developing with very few leaves but they are fruiting. I will attach a picture. The companion plants are all 4-5 feet tall and lush healthy plants. I grew all the plants from seed and planted Memorial day when soil temperatures were adequate. I don't detect insects or critters or for that matter visible disease. I water from the bottom when needed. Rainfall has been adequate but no excessive. I dump a lot of compost on the garden and have never had a problem. No herbicides or pesticides here. Lots of mulch. I am going to test for N and for K as soon as possible but I find it unlikely. Anyone have ANY ideas of what this is ? I am concerned about it spreading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016071010361300.jpg (843.4 KB, 124 views)
Mule Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #2
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea what's happening there, but that's just looks crazy. It's so crazy that it makes me wonder whether it's a mutation of some kind.

Are the affected plants all the same variety?
Are they all flowering and fruiting that densely?
Are they all in the same area of the garden?
Have any of the fruits ripened? If so, did they do so normally? How did they taste?

How the heck are they producing all that fruit without any foliage for photosynthesis? I mean, I know other parts of the plant photosynthesize to a lesser degree, but it seems impossible that so much fruit and flower could be produced without leaves. I am totally fascinated by this.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #3
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Yeah save some seeds just in case ☺
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #4
cassiani
Tomatovillian™

To me it looks like inconsistant genetic. Are they Hybrid? Are they cherries? I am growing a bunch of F2's and a few are short with lots of fruits that are small as well.
It reminds me ''Tiny Tim'' strains, crossed with another one.
cassiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Pretty weird, but I kinda want some.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm blight and septoria proof.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #7
Mule Valley
Tomatovillian™

OK --Update-it never dawned on me that this was genetic. I figured it was a weird disease. I got my "map" of my tomatoes out and discovered that all of the tomatoes are the same variety--- "42" . I got the seed from Totally Tomatoes. I planted them all--planted a half a dozen and gave away the rest. Needless to say, I don't have any more seed nor do I want any. This was billed as 42 days ( beating Early Girl and all the other early tomatoes. They are early ! But dysfunctional. I like strange plants but these don't work for me. Thanks for your responses.
Old July 15, 2016   #8
Mule Valley
Tomatovillian™

Are the affected plants all the same variety?
Are they all flowering and fruiting that densely?
All of the "42"s are flowering /fruiting heavily like this.
Are they all in the same area of the garden?

Yes pretty much....I have 10 rows of 8 per row.

Have any of the fruits ripened?

Not yet.

If so, did they do so normally? How did they taste? I will let you know.

How the heck are they producing all that fruit without any foliage for photosynthesis?

I do NOT have a clue. All of my other plants are waist to head high and are acting "normal"

I mean, I know other parts of the plant photosynthesize to a lesser degree, but it seems impossible that so much fruit and flower could be produced without leaves. I am totally fascinated by this.

Me too. I will continue to follow these and will post sequential pics as this continues to evolve.
Old July 15, 2016   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Save seed for this one. I know i would be interested if you are willing to share.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fruit without leaves