Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old April 9, 2009   #16
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

Your 2009 MAGTAG banner will impress Emily. Could you email me a copy so I can print one out for Emily :-)

Greg
Old April 21, 2009   #17
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Here's an update on my tomato list. As I mentioned earlier, I have a bunch of seedlings that seem to be stunted. I don't know what's causing the stunted growth; even some of my healthy seedlings (i.e. Sungold) seem smaller this year. Then again, others, like Lemon Boy, Church, and Cherokee Green, are growing vigorously.

These are the duds (so far):

Japanese Trifele
Paul Robeson
Scarab
Delmar
Black Cherry
Russian Black

It figures that two of my Mid-Atlantic collection and several of my blacks are on the list. Oh well. I still have plenty of others that are doing fine.

BTW, I printed out fliers for MAGTAG 2009 that I intend to distribute at that OTHER gardening forum's spring plant swap in Burtonsville, MD on May 9. I have a PDF version of the flier with directions on the back - if you would like a copy to print and distribute to any interested parties, please email me.
Old April 21, 2009   #18
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Oh Bummer about the Scarab & DelMar - my mid-Atlantic sections seems to be growing pretty well - the Chesapeakes, Old Brooks & Hopkins are the front runners, Greater Baltimore & Scarab & DelMars look OK just not as "fab". My SunGolds are a wierd dark purply green - thought they were going to mater heaven the first 4 or 5 days after I put them into cups but they seem to be coming out of whatever cold/transplant funk they were in - we'll see. Backyard is a sea of red Costco beer cups in fruit boxes of all kinds - the raised beds, walkways...the poor dogs act like they have no place...
Old April 22, 2009   #19
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I have to cross Diener and Kosovo off my list...the seeds just would not germinate. Everything else came out okay..and am now in the process of planting up to 18oz cups. I have about twenty plants in cups in my neighbors greenhouse. Amazing how a little sun and heat gets the tomatoes to start growing!

I will be hitting a couple of the local garden centers to see what they have to heirlooms...maybe I can get lucky and find a heart shaped variety.
Old April 22, 2009   #20
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I now have about 720 plants in 18 oz Costco Beer cups on my deck and camper. So I will plant 18, what will I do with the rest? :-)

I am looking forward to trying Berkley Tie Dye Pink and a few Japanese types. Can't wait for a ripe one!
Old April 27, 2009   #21
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Greg: And I thought I plant to many toms! Maybe put them on Craigslist and make some $?
Old April 27, 2009   #22
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

perverted friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
I now have about 720 plants in 18 oz Costco Beer cups on my deck and camper. So I will plant 18, what will I do with the rest? :-)

I am looking forward to trying Berkley Tie Dye Pink and a few Japanese types. Can't wait for a ripe one!
OMG - we should exchange pics! I have have backyard COVERED with those red Costco cups with tomatoes of all sizes popping out - don't dare to really count - conservative estimate for astounded DH & friends(1500) not including the peppers, basil & parsley. I have given away over a hundred plants - made not a dent in the cup coverage. My neighbor (a snowbird from FL) remarked my yard represented "a waste of perfectly good beer cups".

To top it off - perverse gardening buddies with greenhouse setups come down for plants & BRING ME TOMATO PLANT PRESENTS!
Craig's listed for tomato & pepper sale next Saturday - can't plant until I clear the raised beds & walkways!
I had to laugh when you mentioned Pink Berkley TieDye - I have 5 & am very possesive of them... & the huge Lucky Crosses... & the Grub's Mystery Green... & the Jeff Davis... the Isis Brandy... the Green Doctors... the Italian pear... the blacks....
OMG! I'm turning into Gollum with all my preciouses!
Old April 27, 2009   #23
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Stormy,

Craig List sale eh?

Not a bad idea. How does it work :-)

I haven't taken any pics but I just might.

Greg
Old April 27, 2009   #24
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

gflynn - I'll let you know how it turns out after Saturday. I posted on Craig's List under "farm & garden" & have reposted every 4 days or so. I listed the date (5/2), the time (9am - 3 pm then it's Derby Time!), my address & a ginormous list of what I have grown. So far I have had 4 calls (3 of whom have come) from folks who asked to come early which I obliged - $104 later ($2 a piece all given gifts as well), you couldn't tell I sold a thing. (I also listed in WilmingtonYard Sales.com with aforementioned)
Went to one of my buddy's places today - he took some rather sorry looking puny Sungolds & Hawaiian Currants & put them in his garden 3 days ago. They are different plants! They have greened out & DOUBLED/TRIPLED in size! I need to get some of the puny ones into pots with garden soil in the am & see how they look by Sat. Most are 7 to 9 inches tall & needing a drink of water every day now that it is heating up here. They need homes & mine need in the ground!
I need to take pics of Stormy's Folly (aka my backyard garden) as well.