Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 20, 2016   #26
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I get tomatoes starting at the END of June so it's really not that early.

This year I grew:

Big Beef
Jersey Boy (a new favorite and it gave me the first ripe toms)
Sun Sugar
Brandywine (produces late like August)
Rutgers 250 (not impressed with this one)
Ramapo (not impressed with this one either)

I always grow Big Beef because it is very reliable and disease resistant. That plant is still putting on new growth right now and I am still harvesting.

Jersey Boy is also a Burpee hybrid and a wonderful producer. It is a cross between an unnamed beefsteak and Brandywine. It gave me my earliest tomatoes this year and everyone loves the taste. I will definitely grow this one again.

I have grown lots of heirlooms in the past but this year I only grew the Brandywine which is a favorite.
For early production you might want to try Pruden's Purple. It is the earliest of all the pink beefsteaks I have tried over the years and it can put on a lot of fruit fast.
Some others that produce early are Indian Stripe PL or reg, Spudakee, and JD's Special C Tex. Limbaugh's Legacy and Cowlick's Brandywine both seem to beat Sudduth's by a week or two and the flavor is nearly the same.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote