Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2020   #61
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I agree with JR. It's probably the best all around tomato I have ever grown....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2020   #62
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Me too, BB and Sungold are the only hybrids I usually grow, slipped up this year, I didn;t have any seeds, so I sowed Tasti Lee a new one on me
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2020   #63
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I haven't found anything that would push it off my grow list. This year there are so many tomatoes on the plant, at least 50, that it's trying to collapse. I had to lash some of the branches to the cage to try and hold it up.
Old May 9, 2020   #64
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Having had good luck with BB in the past, I talked my brother into trying some last season. This was an average plant for him last year. He’s hooked on them now.

268CA145-1F11-400A-B04B-DC9461198B2B.jpg
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2020   #65
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Looks about right! They sure do set well!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020   #66
b54red
Tomatovillian™

A few years back I had to drop Big Beef from my grow list. Even with it having good fusarium tolerance it doesn't have enough. Five or six years fusarium started killing off all of the FF tolerant hybrids in my garden but not the FFF hybrids. The only trouble with that is the FFF tolerant hybrids have little or no taste and are frequently hard as a rock when ripe if they will even ripen. All the commercial growers in the area had to switch to those super hybrids and I had to graft because I couldn't tolerate eating those types of tomatoes. I now use a root stock that is tolerant to all three races of fusarium and RKN and graft some of my favorite heirlooms to them. Now I have the best of both worlds, great tasting tomatoes with high tolerance to soil borne diseases. Yeah I know it is a lot of trouble but it is sure worth it to me. Grafting can be frustrating at times but once you get the hang of it, it can still be frustrating at times.

If you live a bit further north from me then you will still have good luck with Big Beef, the most dependable edible hybrid I have ever had the pleasure of growing.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote