Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2020   #1
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Default What do you do with volunteers?

For the first time, I basically just turned my old beds and amended them instead of doing some new strange growing thing. And, I suppose not surprisingly, I have about 7 volunteers sprouting up in different places.

I am super type-A about varieties -- I want to know what it is that's growing! In part that's so I can save seed and trade with confidence, but also I just like knowing what the varieties are.

So I'm having a dilemma. Do I just yank them? Do I let them grow a while then transplant and see what they turn out to be? I am having a hard time just contemplating ditching a viable plant, but also, what the heck will they be?!

What do you usually do?
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #2
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

segregate and keep an eye on them as the season progresses.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I rip them out. They usually turn out to be cherry tomatoes.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #4
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I rip them out. They usually turn out to be cherry tomatoes.
My mother used to say compost pile tomatoes are always cherry type.
2015 I had volunteers that were big,probably german johnson compost
version.That was a drought year and they were drought resistant.
Not watered for 2 weeks and they were still alive.
Old May 26, 2020   #5
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! In fairness, they are in a spot where I have planted cherry tomatoes before, so it could be. But now I am curious to see if they turn out to be cherries or not. I'm leaning toward transplanting them elsewhere and growing just for curiosity's sake.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2020   #6
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I've always ripped them out, when they germinate in a bed, for reasons already stated (control, unknown ID..) and also 1) because I usually have enough plants not to bother, 2) by the time they germinate outside, they're too small and behind for my growing area.

This year was a bit different. When I started my seeds in March, I must have reused some peat pucks or seed mix of "duds" from last year. To my surprise, I got 4 seedlings from that batch, and they quickly outgrew the newly planted seeds. I kept them, they started flowering in the basement, and I ended up planting them first, one in each corner of a large bed. I know they're not cherries, I never grow those. They can only be from one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to the surprises they'll give me. I'm growing around 50 plants this year, so I have plenty of known types for saving seed, and not much risk in the experiment. Most of what I grow ends up as sauce.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Some people claim volunteers like from a compost pile are always cherry type,even if you never grew a cherry tomato in your life.
My mother said that ,and she was a gardener for 85+ years.
I think a lot depends on your winter temps and how it effects the seeds.
That is why I never freeze tomato seeds.
Old May 27, 2020   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had a volunteer near the chicken coop so I let it grow for them since they love tomatoes. It turned out to be a Black Cherry. I had grown them the previous year in my garden.

The chickens pick their own tomatoes when they are ripe.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

My volunteers don't sprout until the weather heats up, and so have a slim chance of getting big enough to produce anything before frost in the fall. But one year I found a very healthy perfect plant when we removed the sweet corn stalks after harvest in August. I transplanted it into a large pot and brought it in the house before frost. It ripened a few delicious medium sized tomatoes in Nov/Dec. I could have at least narrowed down the variety if I looked at my planting charts for that bed for the previous year, but never got around to it.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2020   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I select ten of the most vigorous volunteers every year, and after 8 years have kept two that I continue to plant and select each year: A pale yellow large cherry, and a very productive red saladette. Two of my must grow plants - I call them Scott's Yellow Cherry and Eden's Temptation, just for fun.

I wonder how many years I have to select them before actually having my own varieties?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote