Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 17, 2019   #1
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Forgotten Heirlooms

Has anyone had any experience with ordering from forgottenheirlooms.com? Their prices are 6 seeds for $1. Does anyone know who owns the company or where they're located? If you've ordered from them did the seeds arrive promptly? Were they the variety you ordered? What was your growing experience with the seeds?

I'm just very intrigued by this site...
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Has anyone had any experience with ordering from forgottenheirlooms.com? Their prices are 6 seeds for $1. Does anyone know who owns the company or where they're located? If you've ordered from them did the seeds arrive promptly? Were they the variety you ordered? What was your growing experience with the seeds?

I'm just very intrigued by this site...
Please give us a link to the site so we can see what it's all about and then those who want to can Google to their collective heart's delight.

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn, who knows lots of forgotten OP heirlooms,she is one herself,but that's not important re your initial post.
Old January 17, 2019   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

For someone "preserving" the forgotten heirlooms he's growing a lot of NEW stuff. Fuzzy Blue Balls was a new unstable variety first being sold in 2017. A lot of the other tomatoes are newish too and you'll notice there's no background/history given for anything.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #4
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Maybe they forgot to add the forgotten heirlooms I only saw two heirlooms
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #5
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Their phone number is in Ohio so it's probably safe to assume they are too. The about us page says they are a small hobby farm. I'm sure a reverse lookup on the phone number would give you a name, but I'm not sure it's going to be anyone I know. I haven't done business with them that I know of, certainly not as Forgotten Heirlooms (that name is a fine example of what Judge Judy refers to as puffing). Their site isn't easy to navigate and search doesn't work that well. It reminds me of Bounty Hunter Farms, but I think that's because they're using the same software, not because they're the same people.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My search says Ken Fry is the owner. Many of his own pics on instagram leads me to believe he is legit.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #7
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, our internet is down at home and due to all the rain we've been having until the ground dries out enough the cable can be dug out it will remain that way according to the company we get our internet service from. They aren't charging us the monthly bill but to answer your question I have to go to the library to get internet right now. It's good it's on the way home but they don't allow copy and paste so I can't give the link. I appreciate your and everyone's else's input. Thanks!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
My search says Ken Fry is the owner. Many of his own pics on instagram leads me to believe he is legit.
And here's what I get when I google him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ken+...&bih=815&dpr=1

Anyone who wants to comment, please do so. I read it and already have formed my own opinion.

Carolyn
Old January 19, 2019   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'd guess you approve of his paper envelope storage of seeds.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2021   #10
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Thought I would comment here as the last post was in Jan 2019. I purchased some seeds from this source (via Etsy) last spring and the seeds were promptly shipped. Seeds were packaged in small zip plastic envelopes tucked inside labelled coin envelopes. Label information included the variety's name, colour photo of the fruit, and history including source of original seeds. I thought the packaging was very nicely done. One of the varieties I grew was a white tomato called Bugtussle Buttermilk Wonder that was one of my top two (out of 24 OP varieties grown) last season; I had never heard of this variety and figured I'd give it a try if nothing else but for the great name, and the results were better than I'd hoped for. I was certainly pleased enough that I have ordered additional seeds to try next season. A thank-you message from the owner indicates that he has only been selling for two years. Several of his varieties are described as originating in Kentucky and are attributed to Kris Hubbard as the original source; I found by googling that Mr. Hubbard is a seed saver in Kentucky (Wild Wood Farms). Anyway, I see no reason to not recommend this as a source. Just one gardener's experience.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2023   #11
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Updating this thread just to say that I've had great luck with this source so far. I've noticed that the website looks updated with plenty of information and photos. Some of the descriptions are amusingly honest, see: https://forgottenheirlooms.com/shop/.../giant-crimson
Old March 10, 2023   #12
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered many seeds from Forgotten Heirlooms since 2021, and have always been impressed. Germination at standard or above from all of them.

The one seed company dissapointing me this year is Renaissance Farm. They must be overwhelmed (or something) because it has been a hot mess. From my January 28th order, I received my seeds yesterday, Mar. 9th.
Old February 10, 2024   #13
vanalpaca
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
I have ordered many seeds from Forgotten Heirlooms since 2021, and have always been impressed. Germination at standard or above from all of them.

The one seed company dissapointing me this year is Renaissance Farm. They must be overwhelmed (or something) because it has been a hot mess. From my January 28th order, I received my seeds yesterday, Mar. 9th.

I've ordered from both and gotten true to description seeds with good germination. The Renaissance Farms dot org is 1 person operation. He offers 900 varieties on his site. He's packing and shipping orders year round while growing and tying up about 500 or more tomatoes. Then of course, harvest, seeding, and still packing orders. A bit overwhelmed.
Old February 10, 2024   #14
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

He should Get the "Farmer Of the Year Award, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2024   #15
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

I recently ordered more seeds from Forgotten Heirlooms as I've been very pleased with the plants I've grown from this source. Several of the varieties (including what's become my favourite white tomato) are described as originating in Kentucky and are attributed to Kris Hubbard, a seed-saver in Kentucky (Wild Wood Farms) as the original source. I do not know Mr. Hubbard personally but have read a little about his work with seed-saving and his community involvement, like here: https://cfaky.org/2015/04/30/this-se...es-prosperity/
So I for one have benefited from Mr. Hubbard's seed-saving work and for that I'm indebted to him. I've just learned that Mr. Hubbard is now in need himself, and thought that at least some of us in this community of tomato enthusiasts/breeders/seed-savers might be in a position to offer some help:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/hj2eg-a-safe-and-secure-home
Thanks!