Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2020   #31
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Default Update 2020 plants

This plant was a little over 2 months old when planted and it was planted sideways. It grew two rootballs. All of the plants that were planted sideways grew a large root system and all of the plants were very large and produced large tomatoes and lots of tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020 root 1.jpg (382.6 KB, 69 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #32
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

When you trench a plant in it should always grow a second rootball right at the base, in addition to the original. When you take both of those plus the heavy growth in between, it adds up to quite a bit of nutrient uptake area, all in the warm surface soil. I may have some old pics "documented", have to check.

I think next year I may go back to bigger transplants and trenching them in. It is just a pain through black plastic. For "pre-trenching" I like to use gallon milk jugs. Cut the bottom off and use that square to start the process for a pair of tomatoes, one to the right, one to the left. I just put a marker/divider in to signify which way they are laying.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #33
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any pics of pulled rootballs, but while looking I found this and couldn't stop laughing. That is about how I "pre-trench" them into a cut bottom milk jug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (100.0 KB, 51 views)
Old August 5, 2020   #34
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Those are some happy doggies
Old August 5, 2020   #35
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
When you trench a plant in it should always grow a second rootball right at the base, in addition to the original. When you take both of those plus the heavy growth in between, it adds up to quite a bit of nutrient uptake area, all in the warm surface soil. I may have some old pics "documented", have to check.

I think next year I may go back to bigger transplants and trenching them in. It is just a pain through black plastic. For "pre-trenching" I like to use gallon milk jugs. Cut the bottom off and use that square to start the process for a pair of tomatoes, one to the right, one to the left. I just put a marker/divider in to signify which way they are laying.
I agree completely with your analysis, the key to doing this is getting your seed started early enough to have larger plants when transplant. I believe if the plant can uptake more nutrients then that can only be beneficial. It is also a relatively easy thing to do if you are only working with 25 to 30 plants at a time.
Old August 5, 2020   #36
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear sideways/trenching works down in TX too. A lot of times I read about planting deep vertically down that way, for cooler soil and greater water access.