Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 3, 2017   #16
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
Wow, those are really great looking setup and growth. I read your earlier posts too very helpful. Buckets cost around $8 here at Home Depot, quite pricy. If I make my own grow bags that would save qute a bit, but I am a bit concerned how they sit up. I can also board up the sides to support grow bags I suppose, not hard to do.
Encore, what kind of fertizer were you using?
Yeah, buckets here are about $3. I have never used bags. I need to check into the used frosting and pickle buckets that restaurants use.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #17
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking Japanese Maple in that pic as well.
Old April 3, 2017   #18
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Lots of very impressive pictures. Love seeing them. My only concern with your set up, JaxRmrJmr, is that the float can move freely enough to close off the water flow with the landscape fabric over it.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2017   #19
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Lots of very impressive pictures. Love seeing them. My only concern with your set up, JaxRmrJmr, is that the float can move freely enough to close off the water flow with the landscape fabric over it.

You're right, the float does rise above the level of the gutter. I used two pieces of plastic. One tightly covered about 9' of the gutter until I reached the float, then I stapled a separate piece on so that it had enough slack in it to let the float rise but overlapped enough to not let the sun get in and cause algae growth. A bucket does not sit on top of the float area either. That was the thought anyways.
Old April 4, 2017   #20
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
You're right, the float does rise above the level of the gutter. I used two pieces of plastic. One tightly covered about 9' of the gutter until I reached the float, then I stapled a separate piece on so that it had enough slack in it to let the float rise but overlapped enough to not let the sun get in and cause algae growth. A bucket does not sit on top of the float area either. That was the thought anyways.
While the loose plastic worked while it was dry, it does not work in the rain. We had some pretty hard rain storms come through last night. Hard enough that it pushed the plastic down and depressed the float causing water to constantly run. I'll have to put something more rigid over the area with the float.
Old April 4, 2017   #21
encore
Tomatovillian™

i just used 1x2"s and made a rectangle frame that went on top of the frame, i covered that with plexi glass so i could see in there, did't have an alge problem , the plants and buckets kinda blocked the sun.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote