Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2019   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default Like a garden tool left out...

...in the rain, I'm rusty.

I started 3 varieties a few days ago, as my first tomatoes of the year. I repotted them, but forgot to label the new containers.

Luckily, one is a PL, one is a RL determinate, and one is a RL indeterminate.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #2
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I started a whole tray of tomatoes -- one seed per little octagon in those newer seed starter kits. I planted seeds dated from 2007 thru 2018 and had pretty good germination. I labeled them on a piece of paper, but somehow or other I had things reversed when I potted up. I potted up about 35 or so and had the 20 picked out to go in the garden and some others to give away. I didn't know it until I saw I had regular leaf varieties with PL and the other way round. I now have a ton of mystery tomatoes. Regardless, they are all good varieties so it will be a tasty but mysterious year. LOL. I had promised my parents a Sungold and a Black Cherry so I started two of each. I've already been able to identify the two Sungolds via the smaller leaves and smell. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the two Black Cherries too because I don't need two of those monster plants taking up spots in my garden. Live and learn.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #3
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I finally did a spreadsheet because I was wasting so much time looking for the ledger I wrote my lists in. I knew at the rate I was going I'd lose the book before it was time to plant things out.

I try to get a few dwarfs in each flat. They're easy to distinguish once they come up. Even if the flat is rotated and unlabeled it's not to much trouble figuring out what's what.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Wow, you got off easy, Tormato, since you will eventually be able to tell them all apart.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My main starts may be in about a week, 100+ seedlings.

Where's the "steel wool" for my brain, when I need it?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #6
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I write the varieties down on a note. Then take a photo of the note. Then a diagram of the layout and take a photo of it.

MikeInCypress.
Old April 22, 2019   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Short term memory fades as we grow older/wiser. Long term not as much. I can remember events in my childhood but not if I just took my pill a minute ago. Can't work on more than one seed at a time this year without forgetting what is in my hand. Scary and frustrating, and sadly not uncommon.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #8
PlainJane

I write out all my labels, then pull the matching seed packets from my seed tray.
I only allow 1 packet open at a time and place the labels into the pots as I go.

The hardest time is when I pot upwards from the 2” to the 4.5” pots. If I don’t force myself to make additional labels I end up with 2 or 3 of something but a label in only 1 pot. That never ends in anything but mystery tomatoes.
Old April 23, 2019   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I love the garden tool analogy! Been there, felt like that... too many times.

Four garden seasons ago I started using the small spiral topped notebooks to record everything I do in the garden, including noting down the "gotta remember to do" stuff; those little fleeting thoughts that melt away three seconds later if not immediately captured. I never go to the garden without it.

These notebooks fit right in my pocket, along with the little golf score pencils. Pickles bought me a box of those just for my notebooks. I didn't know they made such things!

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
I write out all my labels, then pull the matching seed packets from my seed tray. I only allow 1 packet open at a time and place the labels into the pots as I go.
Sounds a lot like what I do. I also have a list of what's getting seeded and how many of them and check them off as I do them just as a final double check.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #11
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

My labeling usually gets messed up when planting outside, or the little plant markers get absorbed by the plants, this year I started a new system for marking the plants.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Well, that should certainly keep 'em well-marked and readable! I plant outside according to a paper map. They each have their little popsicle stick label which I can dig around for if need be.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Memory.
I just had someone call me about what wire I pulled over a year ago.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #14
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
...in the rain, I'm rusty.

I started 3 varieties a few days ago, as my first tomatoes of the year. I repotted them, but forgot to label the new containers.

Luckily, one is a PL, one is a RL determinate, and one is a RL indeterminate.
Do the same thing every year at least once. From propagation trays into cell packs.The simple tasks still require concentration for me.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Planting out is easier if you plant alphabetically. I also make a paper map of the garden and pin it on the fridge in case my markers get moved/faded.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote