Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old October 18, 2006   #1
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple and green

I had one eggplant black beauty that has produced purple and green eggplant. Not sure if seed I save last year or boughten seed but only had BB last year. You think worth saving seed from? Not sure it is ripe enough and smaller ones I know are not.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2006   #2
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Colorado,

I had a Violetta Lunga do the same thing. I've been ridiculously intimidated by the whole seed-saving thing when it comes to eggplants and I'm not sure why, other than sometimes the over-ripe yellowing ones have hideous bugs living inside them that creep me out. Needless to say, if it was a tomato that had done that, I wouldn't have hesitated and would have squished it for seeds straight away. This thing got chucked into the yard waste. Save seeds if you dare!
Old October 25, 2006   #3
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I sliced off the bottom and saved some seed from that and another slice or two and it was a good eggplant to eat. Nothing wrong with it. Rather ripe enough for seed saving? Had to pick as freezing. I will try the seeds in the spring and see if they grow.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote