Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2017   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Coeur de Boeuf (ox heart ) .
I was thinking that it looks sicky. But now, according to Carolyn, I learned that most heart varieties are wispy .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Sgt. Peppers this year, and the antho foliage (which is more purple than green) makes it easy to pick out from all the other seedlings. I hear that this variety has great taste too

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I'm growing Sgt. Peppers this year, and the antho foliage (which is more purple than green) makes it easy to pick out from all the other seedlings. I hear that this variety has great taste too

Linda
oooooooooooh ...

sounds interesting ...for this type of "ornamental foliage" tomato pursuit

cool !
Old May 28, 2017   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Linda
Linda, Sgt Pepper has no antho foliage at all,it's a normal green color, the antho part is often seen on the shoulders of that pink heart.

Here is the link to the person who bred it and some pictures.His name is Jason Hayes,but is best known as Tollie.

http://seasideseeds.weebly.com/sgt-peppers.html

Hope that helps and yes I do know Tollie as well as Blane and for sure I know the variety German Red Strawberry as well.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...Red_Strawberry

Carolyn, who also notes that one of my original seed producers, there were 4 that go back to the early 90's, I had to add 3 more b/c of so many seeds to be produced 2 years ago, did seed production for it last summer and will be SSE listing it.I was sent some seeds and gave some to Rob,who is local,and grows my seedlings for me and hopefully Freda tends to them. I've heard nothing but excellent comments for it,so here's hoping this summer is a great one and I can see it and most importantly taste it,which is the main reason I've grown tomatoes for so many decades now..
Old May 28, 2017   #20
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

How's this for novelty foliage?

Blane sent me Moonlight Mile F2 seeds a couple of years ago, and this just appeared in all three seedlings this spring, from some a very whitened variegated plant I had last year. I've seen pink tips on new white foliage before, but never to this extent.

I don't expect them to be very productive if they set fruit. I have two other MM F4 selections growing, and neither has this much pinky purple in the new leaves, though the more closely related selection has a nice amount also.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Linda, Sgt Pepper has no antho foliage at all,it's a normal green color, the antho part is often seen on the shoulders of that pink heart.

Here is the link to the person who bred it and some pictures.His name is Jason Hayes,but is best known as Tollie.

Hope that helps and yes I do know Tollie as well as Blane and for sure I know the variety German Red Strawberry as well.

Carolyn, who also notes that one of my original seed producers, there were 4 that go back to the early 90's, I had to add 3 more b/c of so many seeds to be produced 2 years ago, did seed production for it last summer and will be SSE listing it.I was sent some seeds and gave some to Rob,who is local,and grows my seedlings for me and hopefully Freda tends to them. I've heard nothing but excellent comments for it,so here's hoping this summer is a great one and I can see it and most importantly taste it,which is the main reason I've grown tomatoes for so many decades now..

Carolyn,

Have you every grown Sgt Peppers? I am growing it right now and, as I have said, I can pick out my seedling from all the rest because of it's dark antho foliage! Perhaps this will not persist until adulthood, I hadn't thought about that, but it is very convenient to know at a glance which variety it is!

Linda
Old May 29, 2017   #22
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

The two years that I grew Sgt Peppers, I had antho on most of the seedlings, and I have read reports from other people being very happy about the amount of antho on their seedlings as well. In fact the advice has been to grow out only the seedlings with the most antho on stems.

Old May 29, 2017   #23
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
How's this for novelty foliage?

Blane sent me Moonlight Mile F2 seeds a couple of years ago, and this just appeared in all three seedlings this spring, from some a very whitened variegated plant I had last year. I've seen pink tips on new white foliage before, but never to this extent.

I don't expect them to be very productive if they set fruit. I have two other MM F4 selections growing, and neither has this much pinky purple in the new leaves, though the more closely related selection has a nice amount also.
I grew "variegated " variety for a few years and the leaves are reminiscent of that vartiety ......a bit.......hmmmm
Old May 29, 2017   #24
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Soooooooo Many hearts varieties to try ...but so little time
..........sighhh

Old May 29, 2017   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Dee, your Moonlight Mile plants are impressive. You're tempting me to give that one a go next year

Linda
Old May 29, 2017   #26
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Linda, the pink doesn't appear equally on the various MM F4's, don't know if others involved in the grow outs have found any plants with the extreme amount. Last year, the parent of these was very skimpy with fruit set. If these get to maturity with any fruit with seeds, I'd be happy to share with you. Right now they look super healthy, but will be interesting to see what their long term chances are. I love experiments!

Old May 29, 2017   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like fun Dee and thanks for the offer! Fingers crossed that fruit set will be improved this time around. With Cherokee Purple in the parentage, this one should taste good as well as being a beauty to behold

Linda
Old May 29, 2017   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn,

Have you every grown Sgt Peppers? I am growing it right now and, as I have said, I can pick out my seedling from all the rest because of it's dark antho foliage! Perhaps this will not persist until adulthood, I hadn't thought about that, but it is very convenient to know at a glance which variety it is!

Linda
I will be this summer as I noted in a post above when I said that Rob, who is local,will be growing seedlings for me.

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2017   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
The two years that I grew Sgt Peppers, I had antho on most of the seedlings, and I have read reports from other people being very happy about the amount of antho on their seedlings as well. In fact the advice has been to grow out only the seedlings with the most antho on stems.
Dee, I can only refer you to Tollie's website( he bred the variety) and the pictures he showed as to no antho foliage,I think maybe post #19

Many varieties I've grown as seedlings have purple stems, but I never called them antho, and they weren't antho ones anyway. As the seedlings grew the stems turned green.

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2017   #30
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I hope you will enjoy your own Sgt. Peppers tomatoes this season

I contacted Tollie to ask about antho in the leaves of Sgt Peppers and he sent me the following:

(Google Docs to the rescue)

Anthocyanins in tomato fruits and plants

oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2012/jan/purple-tomato-debuts-%E2%80%98indigo-rose%E2%80%99

Jim Myers, a professor in the OSU horticulture department said:

“Indigo Rose's genesis began in the 1960s, when two breeders – one from Bulgaria and the other from the United States – first crossed-cultivated tomatoes with wild species from Chile and the Galapagos Islands, Myers said. Some wild tomato species have anthocyanins in their fruit, and until now, tomatoes grown in home gardens have had the beneficial pigment only in their leaves and stems, which are inedible.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

academic.oup.com/jhered/article/94/6/449/2187396/Characterization-and-Inheritance-of-the

Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) accession LA1996 with the Anthocyanin fruit (Aft) gene has dark green foliage, elevated anthocyanin expression in the hypocotyls of seedlings, and anthocyanin in the skin and outer pericarp tissues of the fruit.

Vegetative tissues of Aft tomato plants are distinctive. Leaves are darker green and stems contain visibly more purple speckling than do wild-type plants.

Normal tomato genotypes routinely contain anthocyanin in the vegetative parts of the plants but not in the fruit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He also stated that he had personally observed anthocyanin expressed in the leaves and stems of sprouts, seedlings and transplants although the purple coloring seems to disappear in mature plants, it is retained in the stems.

One more exciting thing he said was that he believes that anthocyanin is protective for plants going into cold weather at the end of the season!

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; May 29, 2017 at 02:34 PM.