Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2016   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laurinburg, North Carolina, zone 7
Posts: 3,047
Default Yellow eye peas and other-

I've found bulk southern peas and limas at the produce stand. Would like to try some of each.
Can anyone tell me if these are bush or pole?
Yellow eye pea
Field pea
Large green Lima
Baby green lime
Baby white Lima
Spelled Lima
Cranberry bean
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #2
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 9,768
Default

I had never heard of a yellow eyed pea until you mentioned them the other day. Here's site with a picture http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6303-ke...ellow-eye.aspx

Oh yeah, your seeds are in the mail
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #3
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I've found bulk southern peas and limas at the produce stand. Would like to try some of each.
Can anyone tell me if these are bush or pole?
Yellow eye pea
Field pea
Large green Lima
Baby green lime
Baby white Lima
Spelled Lima
Cranberry bean
Most of those names are so generic that they could refer to either bush or pole varieties. Most dry beans sold commercially are bush varieties, though, so that would be a relatively safe assumption.

Never heard of "Spelled Lima"... could that be "speckled"?
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laurinburg, North Carolina, zone 7
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I had never heard of a yellow eyed pea until you mentioned them the other day. Here's site with a picture http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6303-ke...ellow-eye.aspx

Oh yeah, your seeds are in the mail
Interesting,I thought it was a southern pea!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laurinburg, North Carolina, zone 7
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Most of those names are so generic that they could refer to either bush or pole varieties. Most dry beans sold commercially are bush varieties, though, so that would be a relatively safe assumption.

Never heard of "Spelled Lima"... could that be "speckled"?
Sorry,that was my spell checker. Should have been speckled Lima. It's a small,dark,speckled bean. We ate a lot of them as Shellie's last year so I just bought a bag,thinking I'll plant a row.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★