Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2016   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default Scarlet runner beans.

Scarlet runner beans I know they have been talked about here before someplace but I cant find it.
Thinking of finding some and planting them in the front for show and the critters.
What is your experience and in what type of soil.
In good soil how long (Vines)could I expect them to get?

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™
 
PNW_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 822
Default

mine used to grow up into the nearby hazelnut tree ....... very long vines, but slow to set here in PNW
__________________
D.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #3
JoParrott
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Richland,WA
Posts: 409
Default

Runner beans don't set beans in my climate- 2 years ago I grew one from Park's -I think it was named Stardust--it made beautiful vines with huge foliage and blossoms--not one bean! I posted asking what was wrong and someone said runner beans only set in cool summers-which ain't here!
JoParrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Runner beans don't set beans in my climate- 2 years ago I grew one from Park's -I think it was named Stardust--it made beautiful vines with huge foliage and blossoms--not one bean! I posted asking what was wrong and someone said runner beans only set in cool summers-which ain't here!
There is also from what I have heard too much nitrogen that causes this.
I dont buy this to a point.
I think it is an imbalance of fertilizer.
My reasoning behind this is I planted pole beans last year and the soil was hammered with nitrogen plus everything else.
I had a good crop.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #5
JoParrott
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Richland,WA
Posts: 409
Default

I also don't agree on too much nitrogen- because I grew Kwintus pole beans close to the runner beans, and got a great harvest--- I don't supplement my soil with nitrogen, so I know that wasn't the problem. I looked back to some of my posts on Dave's Garden Forum--I received several replies that runner beans need cool, humid summers to set beans. Coming from 3 different people I tend to agree.
JoParrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I also don't agree on too much nitrogen- because I grew Kwintus pole beans close to the runner beans, and got a great harvest--- I don't supplement my soil with nitrogen, so I know that wasn't the problem. I looked back to some of my posts on Dave's Garden Forum--I received several replies that runner beans need cool, humid summers to set beans. Coming from 3 different people I tend to agree.
Thanks for the info.
It doesn't look like it would do well for me.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

I just did a wee bit of looking on line, not gonna happen.
One of the problems is people say they come from Mexico and bla bla.
Well Mexico isn't all desert hot and dry.
I will look for some sort of cow pea or yard long bean to grow like I did one year.
I need something to fill in my arbor and I want a big bean Teepee in the front yard.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™
 
KarenO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 3,921
Default

hmmm scarlet runner beans grow well here. maybe 12 feet, lots of red blossoms that attract hummingbirds and bees. Very attractive and the beans are delicious, very large but delicious eaten under say 10".
I think they would grow well for you. they are from the mountains in central America but also are known to be grown commercially in north Africa and Greece according to wiki.
never know til you try. They are very ornamental as well as edible.
I have also grown a Dutch variety with white seed and white blooms. very similar.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
hmmm scarlet runner beans grow well here. maybe 12 feet, lots of red blossoms that attract hummingbirds and bees. Very attractive and the beans are delicious, very large but delicious eaten under say 10".
I think they would grow well for you. they are from the mountains in central America but also are known to be grown commercially in north Africa and Greece according to wiki.
never know til you try. They are very ornamental as well as edible.
I have also grown a Dutch variety with white seed and white blooms. very similar.
KarenO
If I run across some I am going to give them a try anyway.
It wont be the first time I grew something I wasn't supposed to be able to grow.

I still have a volunteer pinto bean plant growing in the yard.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #10
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™
 
PNW_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Coast, Canada
Posts: 822
Default

didn't know this .........

Quote:
Unlike snap beans, runner beans require pollination by bees to set seed.
https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/...er-bean-seeds/
__________________
D.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #11
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™
 
PhilaGardener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,362
Default

How about Chinese red noodle beans (Vigna)? Very vigorous for me (topped an 8-9 foot trellis), seemed to love the heat, and good in stir fries. Glad to share some seed (a few years old now) if you PM your mailing address, Worth!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
How about Chinese red noodle beans (Vigna)? Very vigorous for me (topped an 8-9 foot trellis), seemed to love the heat, and good in stir fries. Glad to share some seed (a few years old now) if you PM your mailing address, Worth!

Thanks for the offer but I am swamped in beans.
I still have to figure out where I am going to plant some roman type beans from south America.

Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™
 
Redbaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,474
Default

Why not the Hyacinth Bean for you Worth? It is also an ornamental perennial, edible and vining. Very much like the scarlet runner, but it is a more tropical plant.
__________________
Scott

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Why not the Hyacinth Bean for you Worth? It is also an ornamental perennial, edible and vining. Very much like the scarlet runner, but it is a more tropical plant.
I think one of my friends grew that one year and it took up the whole fence I might look for it today.
What I would really like to have is grapes growing on the arbor.
And I need to dig up a Butterfly vine and move it.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #15
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Laurinburg, North Carolina, zone 7
Posts: 3,047
Default

I couldn't get them to set in AZ but they were quite pretty in the spring.
Now,hyacinth bean on the other hand,made itself into quite a native in my AZ yard. That is a much better bet for your climate.
I grew mine up the palm trees with some strings that I hung from up high with a ladder. Once they got close to the canopy they covered it. The whole thing was pretty amazing to look at.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★