Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 6, 2006   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default Victory Heirloom Seeds A+

I know that Victory Seeds is a highly respected company, my question is about the size of their seed packs. Most of the other companies say 25 or seeds and it is usually considerably more seed. Their seed packs say "approximately 20 seeds."

Are they fairly generous with their seed packs?

LoreD
Old November 6, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I just peeked at 2 packets from them...Kosovo had 29 seeds and Golden Bison 26.
On the varieties I grew from them last year germination was near 100%.
Service is fast and efficient too....

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2006   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Excellent service. Fair prices. Seed packs ran 22 - 26 seeds in 2005 and 2006. They were in tiny coin Ziplocks inside the paper coin envelopes, and the order came with germination and seedling care instructions.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2006   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I haven't taken the time to count my seeds either but I've always been happy with their service. They have some interesting varieties that are otherwise hard to find.
Old November 6, 2006   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I too have to echo what the other responders have said. Excellent germination rates and you know whats printed on the seed packet is exactly what you are getting. One of my top 3 go to seed vendors. Ami
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2006   #6
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I was online at Victory Seeds and Rosy Morn and Beauty were listed as "sold out for 2007." Are they really out of stock or just until 2007?

Just to be safe I put in an order for some interesting stuff because I thought I might get into the trading thing. It sounded like fun.

LoreD
Old November 8, 2006   #7
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

I was online at Victory Seeds and Rosy Morn and Beauty were listed as "sold out for 2007." Are they really out of stock or just until 2007?

it sounds to me like Mike did not have good seed production for those two this past summer and thus won't be listing them in the 2007 catalog/website.

I have a few seeds of Rosy Morn around here someplace that were sent to me but at this moment I don't know where.

And I'm pretty sure I have some seeds of Beauty as well, but they, like the Rosy Morn, seeds are not fresh.

So if you can't wait one year until Mike relists them, I could take a look when the snow flies and maybe help out. No promises b'c my memory is no longer perfect as it was up until last year.

Beauty is not in the 2006 SSE Yearbook and who knows what will be in the 2007 until it comes.
Old March 23, 2007   #8
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

Default Victory Seeds

Had 100% germination with the 5 varieties I purchased from Victory this year. They do an excellent job, and I REALLY like the packaging with the little zip-lock coin bag inside the paper envelope.
Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I love Victory and also have great germination from their seeds. This is one of my two favorites companies from which to order. I've been very happy with their web site and their service for a few years. They also have some interesting varieties you can't find elsewhere. Two thumbs up!
Old January 8, 2008   #10
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Victory Heirloom Seeds?

Does anyone know anything about Victory Seed Company? They seem to have quite a collection of tomatoes. . . . .
http://www.victoryseeds.com/index.html
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2008   #11
Rena
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorites. They do a great job, seed has always come true. I love the small companies. This one is a good one.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2008   #12
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

I know Mike a bit but Craig ( nctomatoman) knows him very well and Craig and his wife met with Mike and his wife out there a couple of years ago.

You'll see that many of the varieties Mike lists are from Craig, while I tend to send my new ones to Linda at TGS and Glenn at Sandhill.

Seeds have been pure and good as reported back by quite a few folks. He had one bad experience with that PL Red Brandywine but deleted it the minute he found out about it and got new stock.

When I list the seed sources that I like Victory Seeds is in the top five, or so.
Old January 8, 2008   #13
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks, Rena and Carolyn. Victory isn't one I've seen mentioned here much so I figured it might be best to ask before I wasted any seed $.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2008   #14
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Two thumbs up. Excellent service and some really neat varieties of veggies that are otherwise difficult to find.
Old January 8, 2008   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mike Dunton and his wife Denise run the company - they do it all in their lovely yard/farm in little Molalla, Oregon (which we were fortunate to visit a few years ago). One of Mike's passions, and the catalyst for he and I getting into contact, was his pursuit of the Livingston varieties. They and other similarly passionate, small, responsive companies, deserve all of our attention and business - they eke out livings to share their passions with all. As an interesting aside, Mike also is selling a large collection of historic candy (some of which we tried when we were there...lavendar hard candy...yuck!...and the newly reformulated Fizzies....double yuck!).