Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 6, 2008   #31
ronbrew
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the Info. I Thought all Brandywines were RL.
Ron
ronbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #32
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrew View Post
Thanks for the Info. I Thought all Brandywines were RL.
Ron
No, they aren't.

Some are heirlooms and some were created and here's the scoop;

Brandywine ( all strains) are PL
Yellow Brandywine, same
Red Brandywine, is RL
Black Brandywine is PL and not an heirloom
Purple Brandywine, better known as Marizol Bratka, is PL and is not an heirloom

Winsall is RL, has always been RL from the time it was named and released by the Henderson Seed Co in the 20's, so if someone is offering a PL Winsall I doubt if it is Winsall, or Wins All, as it's also known, b'c it won a contest by winning all.
Old March 6, 2008   #33
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

And Black Brandywine is so unstable I wouldn't touch it.

*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #34
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
And Black Brandywine is so unstable I wouldn't touch it.
Agreed, and we're talking about the BB offered by TGS, for instance who first found it in the growing fields oif Seeds by Design in CA, and not the one offered at Baker Creek.
Old March 8, 2008   #35
ronbrew
Tomatovillian™

So what I'm getting here is all Brandywines are PL whether they are Red, Yellow, Black, or Purple except for one which is referred to as "Red Brandywine" which is RL.

Brandywine OTC, Black, and Purple Brandywines are not really Brandywines but a cross with a Brandywine and are not Heirlooms.

It looks like Victory is correct in all Brandywines I have from them. Branywines SS is PL and my "Red Brandywine" is RL.
Now I do have a Winsall I bought from Tomatofest which I'm growing and it is definitely PL so I'm a little unhappy with that. I do see in TGS catelog they have a Winsall that is RL so I guess I'll get that one next year. I'm now wondering what I have and how there seems to be so many Winsall's that are PL. I even see catalogs say it's PL. Someone must have started this and it got into the hands of others I suppose.

Would be nice if there was a website or something where you can look up a variety and know what leaf it's suppose to be. At least if it turns out the opposite you can know you may not have the correct seeds.

Thanks for all the help.
Ron
Old March 8, 2008   #36
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Would be nice if there was a website or something where you can look up a variety and know what leaf it's suppose to be. At least if it turns out the opposite you can know you may not have the correct seeds.

Ron, there's no way there can be one site b'c there are probably 3 to 4,000 tomato varieties offered at different seed sources just here in the US.

My suggestion is to go to those websites that have a track record of having correct information, And that would include TGS and Sandhill Preservation and Victory Seeds and SSE and Heirloom tomatoes in PA ( for the most part), and there are more.

Or you can start by Googling which usually works well.

The best way I think is to become an SSE member and get the annual Yearbook which is a treasure house of variety information. Even if you don'tlist varieties, which you don't have to, your membership monies go to support SSE preservation activities.

YOu said above that the non-heirlooms were not Brandywines but I don't think that's exactly right. Each one of them first appeared as an F1 hybrid from natural cross pollination, except for Marizol Bratka which was deliberately crossed.

So each of the hybrids had 1/2 Brandywine genes in it and as selections were made there's no doubt that there were quite a few Brandywine genes that were passed on during the segregation of the hybrid.

I'm curious. Where are you seeing PL Wins All being offered? For that is truly wrong.

BTW, it's OTV, not OTC Brandywine and I did get a good chuckle from that thinking it was over the counter.
Old March 8, 2008   #37
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
It might be an listing error but on page 346 of the SSE yearbook on the top of the second row is Winsall and the last listing says PL. I won't mention names but someone I usually trust. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #38
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I went and checked her online site and it says it is PL also. Being that you were asking. I knew I had seen it somewhere listed as PL and wasn't sure where. Jay
Old March 8, 2008   #39
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36 View Post
Carolyn,
I went and checked her online site and it says it is PL also. Being that you were asking. I knew I had seen it somewhere listed as PL and wasn't sure where. Jay
Jay, I don't mind telling her about it since I wanted to touch base with her anyway.

None of us are immune to errors and she's made a few before but is always prompt to right a situation. And I have another comment of hers in the Yearbook that need fixing as well.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Now, if I could just get the other wrong ones at other sites corrected........but.....it will never happen.
Old March 8, 2008   #40
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Yes it would be nice to have them all correct. I don't usually mention names but thought I had read where you knew her so thought maybe you could let her know. Jay
Old March 9, 2008   #41
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Guess what Seeds by Design is selling the PL version. Jay
Old March 12, 2008   #42
ronbrew
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Thanks for catching me on the OTC thing. I worked too long for a pharmaceutical company and my brain gets wired that way.

Thanks for the explanation on the crossing and what that means. So much to learn and I thought I knew something about tomatoes

On the seeds here are some examples of people saying the Wins all are PL:

By the way my two plants of PL Wins alls are extremely yellow (on the PL portion) in color and they are in the same soil of all my others (all nice green) so I'm not sure what these are going to turn into.

http://heirloomseeds.com/tomatoes.htm

http://www.mariseeds.com/2005catalog/pinks.html
Ron

Last edited by ronbrew; March 12, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old March 12, 2008   #43
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Heirloom Seeds is also selling a PL Watermelon Beefsteak, which should be RL, and Seeds by Design is also distributing that wrong one. Several places are still selling that wrong PL WB.

And Mariseeds is Marianne Jones who was mentioned above andI said I'd contact her.

AS for Tomatofest I have no idea what Gary Ibsen is doing re seed production these days but since he's also offering a PL Wins All it might suggest that he too is buying from Seeds by Design in CA, but that's just a guess on my part.
Old March 13, 2008   #44
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Last time I checked, Gary/Tomatofest also said that Crnkovic Yugo and Yasha Yugo are one and the same. Egad. Another SBD matter? Seems that I've seen that one somewhere else as well.

Jennifer
Old March 13, 2008   #45
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntomato View Post
Carolyn,

Last time I checked, Gary/Tomatofest also said that Crnkovic Yugo and Yasha Yugo are one and the same. Egad. Another SBD matter? Seems that I've seen that one somewhere else as well.

Jennifer
He said to you, or they were listed as being the same?

I doubt that SBD is producing those two but I didn't check the SBD listings, which are never complete anyway, since they also do subcontract growing and sometimes I gather that some seeds are left over from that.

I think maybe it's just that Gary doesn't realize that Yasha Yugoslavian is a heart and Crnkovic Yugoslavian is a beefsteak.