Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 14, 2008   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring Veggies

I see several of us are growing peas this spring. What other cool weather veggies are you planting this year? My tomatoes, peppers and eggplant won't go out until the middle of April but in March I'll plant some other things in addition to my peas. I have Oak Leaf, White Boston and Matchless lettuce, Giant Noble spinach, Hailstone radishes, Cylindra beets and some Belle de Fontenay potatoes are supposed to be arriving around that time. I wish I had room for more but these things are being squeezed in ahead of my sweet potatoes, lima beans, field peas and okra.
Old January 14, 2008   #2
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

I am putting in peas Onward, lettuce Tom Thumb, spring onions White Lisbon, carrots Paris Market potatoes Cara, spring onions Ailsa Craig and a few other bits and bobs. Like you, i could do with a lot more spa\ce.
Old January 14, 2008   #3
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

For spring sowing I am planting Romanesco Italia Broccoli, Nero Di Toscana Cabbage, St. Valery carrots, Japanese Giant Red Mustard, Russian Red Kale, Leeks, Forellenschuss Romaine Lettuce, Little Gem Romaine Lettuce, Sucrine Lettuce, Bloomsdale Spinach, Helios Radish, Russian Sugar Snow Peas, Sugar Snap Peas, spring Onion's, Several Variety's of Potato's, Cilantro and Dill and Parsley for Herb's. Sighhh...I cant wait!
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2008   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Blatanna, I love those Paris Market carrots. We grew them this last fall. Very tasty and I love the shape. I didn't even peel them, just scrubbed them with a stiff brush and they were great.

Barefoot, I hope these Russian Sugar peas turn out to be good. I haven't grown any snow peas for about four years so I'm looking forward to them. In the past I've grown Dwarf Grey Sugar.
Old January 15, 2008   #5
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting a jump on spring planting this year. I've already bought all the varieties that look interesting to me. I'm leaning heavily in the Japanese and Chinese greens direction.

Let's see now.....

From Nichol's Garden Nursery, I have Green Spray Mibuna, Melody Spinach, and Tatsoi.

From Evergreen Seeds, I have Komatsuna/Senposai, Komatsuna/Kojisan, Small Chinese Cabbage/Fong San Improved, Choy Sum, Ching Chiang Bok Choy, Bunching Onion/Evergreen, Japanese Green/Hiroshimana, Japanese Green/Shirona (I'm thinking of calling it, "My Shirona".), and last but not least--Snow Pea Shoots. These are grown especially for their tender shoots.

Now, my only worry is where I'm going to plant them all. I guess it's time to tear out some more sod to make room.
Old January 17, 2008   #6
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I just started some seeds for Even'Star Landrace Tatsoi from Fedco. I've got some growing in a container that I planted a few weeks ago, and it's a really nice cold-weather-tolerant green. I expect it won't last past March here, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

I'll be planting runner beans in a few weeks. Other beans will go in a couple weeks after that, about the same time as I start planting tomatoes.

I need to get my green onions started, too. I usually have those in a container, as it helps to move them out of the all-day sun once it gets warmer here.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Got my grow lights out today and cleaned them all up. Washed out my pots with water and bleach, made up my labels. I'm about ready to start the first round of seed. This weekend I'm going to try starting some lettuce and spinach indoors. I usually just sow it out in the garden but then I have to wait for them to finish up and my squash and cucumbers end up going in later than I'd like. So I'll see if this plan speeds things up. Anyway, I'm also sowing parsley and some cabbage. These things should keep me occupied until batch #2, peppers and eggplant.
Old January 22, 2008   #8
robin303
Tomatovillian™

My fall garden consists these thus far:

Carrots
Danvers #126
Long Imperator #58

Collards
Georgia Southern

Chives
Cebolleta

Broccoli
Early Dividend
Barbados Hybride

Garlic
unknown

Lettuce
Butterhead

Onions
1015Y Texas Super Sweet
Contessa
Red Burgundy
Southern Bell Red
Yellow Granex

Radish
Sparkler

Other
Catnip

Came with the house
Crab Grass
Poison Sumac
Poison Ivy
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2008   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

The only spring plantings I make are red onions, swiss chard, broccoli, and some leaf lettuces - about 2 weeks before the corn and tomatoes.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2008   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I'm not ready to start yet, either, though I did buy new fluorescents for my DIY lightstand last weekend (also another soaker hose while I was in a spending mood). I am going to try some early stuff in pots on the front porch--not sure just what, yet. Maybe some lettuce--I like the butterheads, for example Anuenue and Adriana.

Tatsoi seems to do better here as a fall crop. It was a struggle to grow it here in th spring--the weather turns warm so fast and it goes to seed. The fall volunteers, however, turn out just beautiful.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2008   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I want to get my potatoes and peas planted, but this darn endless rain.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2008   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I've got 3 "generations" of Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Peas growing now, spaced on 1 month planting intervals. Also have just planted Maui Onions from seed I brought back from Hawaii a few weeks ago. I know I won't be able to duplicate the "red dirt" volcanic soil of Hawaii, but it will be interesting to see how they do in our local climate. I have them planted in the ground, and will try some in an Earthbox, as a comparison.

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (297.9 KB, 23 views)
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2008   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Saturday I sowed seed for lettuce, spinach, cabbage and parsley. Only the parsley is on the heat mat. Almost all the lettuce is up already and I can see the cabbage will be next. With any luck, I'll have all this hardening off around the time I start my tomatoes and basil.
Old January 28, 2008   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

I am so envious! It is -35 C here, and lots of snow. Have put in all my seed orders though and am working on some Excel spreadsheets (thanks dcarch...). Will drag out the grow lights and seed starting mix about mid-March. Happy Growing to all of you in balmier climes.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2008   #15
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My lettuce and cabbage seedlings are looking great. I'll start hardening them off next weekend. Today I cleaned out the old straw and dug out the beds to get ready for the spring stuff. I just need to throw some compost in and I'm ready to start planting. First the lettuce, cabbage, radishes, peas and beets. Potatoes will go in shortly after that, I hope.