Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 14, 2015   #1
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Default Sugar Drop

These tomatoes came off the same Sugar Drop plant. Why is there a difference in color
? Size and shape are the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (325.2 KB, 120 views)
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am thinking they are at different stages of ripeness.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #3
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am thinking they are at different stages of ripeness.
AlittleSalt, I don't think that's the case, as they get riper they stay the same color..... just a deeper red or orange.
Old June 14, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hmm, do they taste different?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Were the color variations random all over the plant or were certain areas of the plant one specific color and other areas the other color? Where did you get your seed? I am wondering if you have a mutation or if the seed might be compromised with a cross of something, or if Sugar Drop isn't fully stable. I'm certain that Lee of J & L Gardens who developed Sugar Drop would be interested in this.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

A lot of tomatoes that share the SunGold genetics seem to throw an occasionally seedling that has red fruit. Perhaps there is a gene in there with a transposable element that hops now and then (or a mutation that reverts). It might have done so in the vegetative parts of your plant, generating a branch with red fruit (hence Salsacharley's comment about areas).
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #7
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Were the color variations random all over the plant or were certain areas of the plant one specific color and other areas the other color? Where did you get your seed? I am wondering if you have a mutation or if the seed might be compromised with a cross of something, or if Sugar Drop isn't fully stable. I'm certain that Lee of J & L Gardens who developed Sugar Drop would be interested in this.
The red ones were random over the plant with more orange than red. I have 5 plants in a row and I have some reds on each plant. I did not pay much attention while picking but I think all the red ones were on the same flower cluster and no orange. I got my seed from ginger2778.
Old June 14, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
The red ones were random over the plant with more orange than red. I have 5 plants in a row and I have some reds on each plant. I did not pay much attention while picking but I think all the red ones were on the same flower cluster and no orange. I got my seed from ginger2778.
I got several from JandL that had stability issues, Lee is aware of it. I did think my Sugar Drops grew true though. Mine were all the more yellow color. Since I grow in the winter, there isnt much if any hallictidae presence here then. I do not bag, but I haven't had bee crosses yet, that I am aware of.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #9
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
A lot of tomatoes that share the SunGold genetics seem to throw an occasionally seedling that has red fruit. Perhaps there is a gene in there with a transposable element that hops now and then (or a mutation that reverts). It might have done so in the vegetative parts of your plant, generating a branch with red fruit (hence Salsacharley's comment about areas).
PhilaGardener, I'm an amateur gardener, so I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Will seed from reds produce red fruit and seed from orange produce orange fruit next year?
Old June 14, 2015   #10
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Hmm, do they taste different?
AlittleSalt, they taste the same to me..... GOOD. The worst tasting tomato is wonderful.
Old June 14, 2015   #11
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

I did a taste test on these two. About the same flavor but the orange a little sweeter. Ginger had them marked as "must grow" and she was right... they taste great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (254.5 KB, 100 views)
Old June 15, 2015   #12
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
PhilaGardener, I'm an amateur gardener, so I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Will seed from reds produce red fruit and seed from orange produce orange fruit next year?
Great question! The best answer is to give it a try! I bet I'm not the only one interested in hearing the outcome of your experiment!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

My Sugar Drop plant looks to have antho in the stems/leaves but so far the fruit appears not to. None are rip yet but I will be taking some pics when they get that way. My seeds came from Marsha as well and the plants are loaded with fruits now so in a couple more weeks I should know how they turn out.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #14
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Great question! The best answer is to give it a try! I bet I'm not the only one interested in hearing the outcome of your experiment!
They are on next years grow list. I've never saved seed, always bought seed and plants at local stores. It's going to be interesting to see what happens..... can't hardly wait.
Old June 15, 2015   #15
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I had several plants plants last year, all were same yellow-orange color, lovely refreshing taste. They had a bit more shade that I could do nothing about so plants had less fruits to compare to usual cherry like Sungold.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote