Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 18, 2006   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default Juliet F1...unusual happenin's

First off, I'm pretty new here and if I'm posting in the incorrect section of the ville my sincere apologies. Just a bit curious, actually very curious about something going on with a vigorous and of course, productive Juliet tomato plant in one of my gardens. Unfortunately due to my computer ineptitude I'm unable to provide pics(really need to work on this!!).

I've become a passionate and hopelessly addicted veggie gardener since I began just 3 years ago. Tomatoes, chiles, cukes, corn and others. Partial to heirlooms, take pride in my tasty goodies and view everyday as a potential learning experience. Here is my futile attempt to make a now long story short.

Been growing Juliet F1 since I began. Have always obtained seed from same company. Its been extremely productive regardless of my past/present inexperience, weather, my snacking, etc....and more importantly I suppose true to type. Have had maybe 25 Juliet plants go on till frost the past three seasons. Sure...the size of the fruit has varied from time to time and plant to plant, but the fruit has always been of similar and consistent shape.

Have 5 Juliet plants this season. The one in question is productive....producing the "mini Roma's" I've become accustomed to BUT its also throwing some non-Juliet looking fruits at me. The fruits in question might be growing right next to a truss of true to type ones. They're about the size of a golf ball, maybe a bit smaller, red, almost spherical and grow in bunches of 4 as oppossed to the usual 8 of the Juliets.

Would some kind, fellow tomato lover explain this to me? This is the first tomato hybrid out of several cultivars with dozens and dozens of plants thats ever done this to me. Is this rather uncommon? Thanks and apologies for my lack of tech. terms. Great site and can't wait to script some shorter posts!!!
Erik C. in Minnesota
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2006   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I've also had
a 1.5+ Amish Paste
tomato that was
on the same branch as a
"regular" sized fruit ~

Weird - but will save seed ~

Tom