Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2017   #1336
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hot days and nice cool nights right now. I am sure enjoying that and should continue through Tuesday or so. It's been real nice. I cooked breakfast on the patio with our new blackstone griddle and it was fantastic. It's like camping, weeee! He He.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #1337
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The weather folks have been saying how Irma was going to move more northerly for a day or two now and it keeps moving mostly westerly and if that keeps up it could end up in the Gulf of Mexico with time to strengthen in that pool of nice warm water. Me I hope it keeps getting weaker and weaker. My niece had to leave Naples a couple of days ago and it looks like she made a smart move.

One of my three very large tulip poplars got sick this summer and died. I just got my first quote on removing it and it wasn't pretty. The tree is probably around 80 or 90 ft tall and right near my garden. I got a tree expert to check it out a few weeks ago and he said that beetles had killed it and that it wouldn't be recovering. It never fully leafed out this spring and started dropping leaves in the summer and is now bare. Locally all the dogwoods around have been dying from beetles but this is the first poplar I have seen die from them. We are supposed to have some pretty high winds starting up and I am hoping the tree is still strong enough to withstand them. I love those trees but they are pretty scary since they are big enough to crush most of our house if either of the larger ones fell on it. I planted them nearly 40 years ago and two of them are the tallest trees around here including some that are at least 30 or 40 years older.

I spent the day trying to get my remaining peppers and tomatoes tied up and clipped of unnecessary foliage and it was blowing pretty hard most of the day and that storm is still a very long way from here. I sure hope those folks in its path are out of the way now and somewhere more safe.

Oh yeah I agree The Wire is phenomenal and we have watched it from start to finish twice and will probably start on it again in a year or so. I believe it is the best serial ever but Breaking Bad was no slouch nor was the Supranos. Game of Thrones is also a great show with some spectacular scenes and good acting but I sure wish they had more episodes per season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #1338
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Good to hear you are doing ok.
Thank you. 6:40 am, lights and A.C. still going....
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #1339
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thank you. 6:40 am, lights and A.C. still going....
Hubby bought some battery operated lights at walmart before we came back. They have a light switch and connect to each other. So, light switch was on the coffee bar between our bedroom and the living room. When needing the light it was easy to hit the switch and have nice lighting in the living room. Kind of like candle lighting but surely brighter.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 10, 2017   #1340
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Hot days and nice cool nights right now. I am sure enjoying that and should continue through Tuesday or so. It's been real nice. I cooked breakfast on the patio with our new blackstone griddle and it was fantastic. It's like camping, weeee! He He.
How are you holding up with the awful mosquitoes?
Forgot to mention MosquitoBits. Comes in a shake container. First
year using them and felt a bit ripped off at first but just a handful
after a big rain tossed near the home and around the yard I still
have half the container. I've had one mosquito bite this entire
season. Found its way into the house and drove me nuts all night
with the zz,zzz buzzing.
(I split the container for two different locations)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 1.12.12 PM.jpg (372.9 KB, 94 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #1341
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I use the bits in my rain barrels. Mosquitos have still been a bit of a bother but not near as bad as they were. Hubby just retreated the yards again yesterday with the cutter. Been out there a couple of times today and haven't been bit yet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 10, 2017   #1342
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Weather : You cannot do anything about it other than talk.

We are have fall like weather over here. Actually it gets cold at nights, with day highs under 80F.
Because of this there are no insects ( fleas, mosquito ...) . Time to gather my fire wood and install my wood burning stove.
On the garden side, few of my survived tomato plants are doing ok. But cool/cole/fall crops are doing great. I have some nice Arugula and mustard. Cut back okras are flowering and fruiting. The fruits stay fresher longer now.

I think the fall is upon us.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #1343
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Weather : You cannot do anything about it other than talk.

We are have fall like weather over here. Actually it gets cold at nights, with day highs under 80F.
Because of this there are no insects ( fleas, mosquito ...) . Time to gather my fire wood and install my wood burning stove.
On the garden side, few of my survived tomato plants are doing ok. But cool/cole/fall crops are doing great. I have some nice Arugula and mustard. Cut back okras are flowering and fruiting. The fruits stay fresher longer now.

I think the fall is upon us.
It feels that way now but I think much of that is due to the effects of the two big hurricanes we have experienced lately. I just looked at the 10 day local forecast and by this time next week we will supposedly be seeing low 90s by then. At least the lows will be lower.

I was hoping for a much cooler fall than last year and it looks like we will be having one but it isn't that far from normal so setting out cole crops may have to wait a bit. I wanted to start some mustard in the garden this week but I want to see how bad the whitefles are before doing that. The last two days when I was able to go into the garden to tie up my plants more securely in anticipation of some high winds coming I was swarmed by whiteflies.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #1344
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

With the two big hurricanes happening one after another, and the weather being cooler than normal here - Hey, September is here. Yesterday, it was a little windy. I went out and dried oak leaves were showering down out of the trees. They looked like giant yellow snowflakes (Don't eat yellow snow).

We have today and tomorrow left with highs in the 80s with low humidity. Later this week, they are calling for highs back up in the mid to upper 90s with high humidity. Well, the 80s were fun while they lasted. Temperature wise now - and I was in my teens and younger 20s in the 80s.

Before we know it, Autumn will be here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #1345
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The winds are blowing harder over here now , gusting up to 30 mph. I guess we are getting the tail end effect of Irma. We are about 30 miles north of water ( Myrtle Beach SC ) and about the same distance from Wilmington , NC. The whole area here is on the flood plane, no hills, no mountains. The water table is quite high and even with sandy soil we can get flooded real easily.

Happy Gardening !
Old September 12, 2017   #1346
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, I've been thinking about your situation ever since I read post #1345. Are you alright? Did the flooding happen?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #1347
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Gardeneer, I've been thinking about your situation ever since I read post #1345. Are you alright? Did the flooding happen?
Thanks for your concern, Robert.

No. we have not been flooded. It rained all night last night ( about 5") But no flooding.
Last year we were hit by hurricane Mathew and go flooded real bad. It was 17" of rain plus Lumber river could not handle all the rain and the water from the upstream caused more flooding. But this time we are just fine.

Today cleared up and the weather was humid a bit but partly sunny.
The next 4 days will be (per forecast ) mostly sunny and pleasant. I have got a pull behind cart for our riding mower and I will be hauling fire wood.

Happy Gardening !
Old September 12, 2017   #1348
bower
Tomatovillian™

We had nearly 8 inches of rain over a couple of days, broke a few records but no sign of flooding here at all. It all soaked into the ground which has not seen much rain since June. Today the mushrooms are popping up all over.... yes, it's fall.

The couple of hot humid days we had, I watched my outdoor tomatoes turn into a collection of all the tomato diseases... yow. We had it so easy this summer, very dry. Followed by days of rain, now shorter and cooler days, and nights dropping below 50 F starting next weekend... the end is near for tomatoes.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #1349
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
We had nearly 8 inches of rain over a couple of days, broke a few records but no sign of flooding here at all. It all soaked into the ground which has not seen much rain since June. Today the mushrooms are popping up all over.... yes, it's fall.

The couple of hot humid days we had, I watched my outdoor tomatoes turn into a collection of all the tomato diseases... yow. We had it so easy this summer, very dry. Followed by days of rain, now shorter and cooler days, and nights dropping below 50 F starting next weekend... the end is near for tomatoes.
One season ends, and another one that's just beginning!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #1350
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
One season ends, and another one that's just beginning!
Hey, I'm glad your tomatoes will be hangin ripe when the hurricane season is well over!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote