Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 6, 2016   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Any "Exciting" New Varieties for 2017?

I think the only thing of note that I've seen thus far is "Chef's Choice Green." But since I'm not a fan of green tomatoes, I don't get very excited about this. I'd consider new disease resistant varieties interesting.

Maybe someone will breed a really useful "square" tomato or maybe a bi-color with stripes running horizontally.
OK, Im a little cynical about some of the "new varieties"...

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

You are referring to hybrid commercial seed?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think Damsel from Johnny's looks intriguing:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/new-for-2...tables#start=1
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2016   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
You are referring to hybrid commercial seed?
KarenO
Any.
Old December 6, 2016   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I think Damsel from Johnny's looks intriguing:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/new-for-2...tables#start=1
Yes, that is interesting. It's the first LB resistant variety that is not determinate that I can recall.

-GG
Old December 6, 2016   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I am excited about EVERYTHING this year I have been out of the loop so to speak for a few years.. I am enjoying all the new stuff
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I'm excited about the next generation of my tomato and pepper breeding projects. ;-) ...but, I suspect that isn't what you're asking about.
Old December 7, 2016   #8
shule1

Brad's Atomic Grape is pretty exciting. Colorful. Anthocyanin. Good hang time. Productive. Wispy.
Old December 7, 2016   #9
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I'm excited about the next generation of my tomato and pepper breeding projects. ;-) ...but, I suspect that isn't what you're asking about.
I'm excited about that, too. Do you have a thread about them?

I'm excited to grow loads of varieties from seeds I saved (and zapped) myself next year. I saved loads of seeds. Husky Cherry Red F4 should be interesting. It has excellent hang time (the tomatoes seem to stay good on the vine longer than the plant's lifespan). No splitting. Great taste. I have another kind of F4 that is pretty different than the other one I mentioned. I'm not sure what it will be like next year, but I intend to find out.

I'm excited about next year's watermelons and cantaloupes. I'm hoping to breed large winter melons/watermelons (via natural crosses: hence the hope—not that it's assured with artificial crosses). Most winter melons I've found are quite small. I plan to grow seeds from every Valencia Winter melon fruit I got (I got four). Hopefully one of them crossed with Weeks NC Giant or (Ginger's Pride x Ha'Ogen) F1 (which was about as big as regular Ginger's Pride). I better grow seeds from both of the Weeks NC Giant melons, too. I got so many GxH F1 fruits that I hesitate to plant seeds from all of them next year, but I do plan to plant some, and more large melon varieties besides (like Canoe Creek Colossal, and seeds I saved from Healy's Pride last year).

I'm excited about acclimatizing large watermelons better to our growing conditions. It seems to be working well with Ledmon and Fairfax.
Old December 7, 2016   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Your melon project interests me, shule1. My growing partner swears that he/we can't grow full size watermelons in our season but the farmers markets are brimming with monster melons. He grows Sugar Baby and they grow about the size of a basketball , max. Some years they are just a tad under ripe. Wither they fall off the vine, or they just don't ripen at all before cooler weather sets in.

I wonder if it is a result of uneven watering techniques in the hottest part of late summer. The tomatoes pull through but perhaps melon sugars shut or slow down a bit unbeknownst to us. I will have to suggest that we try a winter melon for next season.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #11
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Brad's Atomic Grape for the tomato.. he seems to be the one to pique my interest the most concerning tomatoes though I've learned about many new varieties since joining tomatoville.

What my family seems the most interested in for the coming year though appears to be squash, melons, watermelons, peas/beans, and cucumbers.

We've got several months before the main season garden can be started here in my growing zone. I'm sure the list will be revised.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #12
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Brad's Atomic Grape is pretty exciting. Colorful. Anthocyanin. Good hang time. Productive. Wispy.
Fantastic tomato. I picked a ton of them from Brad's fields before he actually decided on a name. Beautiful tomato and great hang time indeed. Taste was great too. As soon I can get my ducks in a row I'll offer some seeds for it on T-vile.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like most of you are mentioning commercial sources, but the ones I'm most interested in are some family heirlooms from other countries, some bred in other countries as well,including Spain, Denmark, France,Germany,Romania Moldova,Italy,Greece, etc.

I get to chose re tomatoes, since my seed producers,now 7 of them,help with that.

Freda does grow other stuff for me and I look for new varieties at Pinetree and several more, and that includes Harris Seeds as well.

Carolyn
Old December 7, 2016   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

The Atomic Grape sounds quite interesting (and looks even more interesting). I'll seriously consider trying those next summer. Thanks for the tip.
-GG

Edit: Just ordered some from Brad. If nothing else, this one needs to be tried just for its looks!

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 7, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old December 7, 2016   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

There are thousands and thousands of amazing OP tomatoes. Surely some of those must be "new" for you. In our endless search for the. NExt best thing, don't forget the work of so many who have gone before us.
Not all that is new is better, that is absolutely certain. Especially the endless streams of essentially indistinguishable red hybrids.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote