Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 14, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Dang wilty tops

Seems now that fruit production is in full swing, the Black Krim loves to divert water from her new growth to the fruits (I assume). Just watered it last night and barely hit 87 today and she's drooping.

Learning that with these fabric pots not only do you water from the top but also through the fabric on the sides.

Just put 2 inches of mulch on it last night so we'll see how this goes...supposed to hit 100 next week
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

In that kind of heat, you may need to water twice a day, morning and night. Fabric pots might not be the best option in your area, plastic would not dry out as fast.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Argh, perhaps next year I'll look into plastic...Thought the roots would get cooked in the plastic. Sort of a double edged sword.
Old June 15, 2015   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

K...I rolled my black plastic pots with flat white paint...and it seems to be keeping things cooler. We have not had really hot weather...but the concept makes sense to me. You might consider...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I use root pouches. I only water from the bottom and make sure there is always water from the bottom for the plant to take up. Look up Larry Hall's RGGS or Kiddie Pool methods.
Old June 15, 2015   #6
ricman
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

I agree with Luigiwi, I use fabric pots and water from the bottom in a RGGS system. The temps here in Oklahoma regularly reach 100 degrees in the summer and I do not have a problem with the plants wilting.

Rick
ricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #7
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, I'll have a look!
Old June 15, 2015   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

The mulch should make a difference if you werent using it before. Im in sac and we stayed above 95 the whole weekend, my smart pots did just fine. They ceretaily feel the heat, but always recover in the evening. Also if you are watering them and you notice alot of runoff, you are watering too fast. Try watering with an initial soak to allow the soil medium to expand, and then give them a good soaking to finish. Same with fetilizing, water first with plain water to allow the soil to expand and them hit em with you fertilized water.

Last edited by Hunt-Grow-Cook; June 15, 2015 at 06:51 PM.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #9
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice H-G-C, I was expecting the worse coming home today and they actually look pretty good! With the mulch and shade cloth, I think they're gonna do ok. I'll water them up slow tonight and be sure to soak the fabric with the sprayer. Everyone gets Tiger Bloom tonight!
Old June 15, 2015   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I grow in Raleigh with black plastic grow bags - no problem at all with cooking roots, and they are on my concrete driveway. I do water morning and late afternoon.
Old June 16, 2015   #11
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

They all got a good watering last night, soaked the fabric real good and medium watered over the top. If they start getting crazy dry too fast, I'm going to wrap the lower 2/3rds in cellophane.
Old June 23, 2015   #12
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

I like the kiddie pool idea. I'd steal it but I think my 3 yr old would be swimming with my tomatoes.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote