Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 3, 2018   #1
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Great article on a seed's first 48 hours...

I saw this and found it interesting. You might too.

Pete

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0802141747.htm

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I did indeed find this interesting. Thank you for posting it.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very well done
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #4
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
I saw this and found it interesting. You might too.

I did... thanks for sharing!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Great article. It made me wonder whether we could introduce artificial components to extremely old seeds and get better germination results.

Ahhhhh. To dream.

Maybe one day mankind will know how to do this and it will make all our efforts to save these varieties successful. We will have fruits from seeds placed in time capsules.

Ahhhhh. To dream.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Not only was this a great article, it seems to be a terrific website. I could spend a few months there. The possibilities are endless...
Old August 5, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Great article. It made me wonder whether we could introduce artificial components to extremely old seeds and get better germination results.

Ahhhhh. To dream.

Maybe one day mankind will know how to do this and it will make all our efforts to save these varieties successful. We will have fruits from seeds placed in time capsules.

Ahhhhh. To dream.
I too enjoyed it and reread it since I've been off line for a bit,but here's what is of concern to me

(The surprising propagation and diversification of flowering plants in terrestrial environments are mainly due to the appearance of seeds during evolution. The embryo, which is dormant, is encapsulated and protected in a very resistant structure, which facilitates its dispersion. At this stage, it cannot perform photosynthesis and, during germination, it will thus consume the nutritive reserves stored in the seed. This process induces the transformation of a strong embryo into a fragile seedling. "This is a critical stage in the life of a plant, which is closely regulated, notably by the growth hormone gibberellic acid (GA). The production of this hormone is repressed when external conditions are unfavorable," explains Luis Lopez-Molina, Professor at the Department of Botany and Plant Biology of the UNIGE Faculty of Science.)

It was all about FLOWERING PLANTS in a Terrestrial environment. No mention was made at all about the kind of seeds that were being used,none at all and that's critically important.

That's not good enough for at least me knowing that different seeds can and do require different methods such as scarification,,etc..

Ted, you asked about germinating OLD seeds and yes there are ways for doing that that I have discussed before, and so has Craig L when he was a more active participant here or now that I think of it it was actually just the two of us doing the experiments. Yes, one other method was adding nitrates to the rehydration water.And that's the method I've posted here at Tville several times.

Giberellic Acid in the article was one method Craig and I used to see if old seeds could be induced to germinate,another method we used was Microwave. And always using proper controls each time we did something. There was also another method we used but I can't remember it now.

Old seeds are dehydrated so the first thing that has to be done is to rehydrate them and I posted many times here at Tville what I do to accomplish that.

Carolyn
Old August 10, 2018   #8
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Great article, thanks for sharing! I did play with GA with perennial seeds,some hard to germinate seeds respond well to it but if you are wrong seedlings got very distorted and died.
I had best luck with seeds like thalictrums, where I could bypass cold treatment requirement.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Great article, thanks for sharing! I did play with GA with perennial seeds,some hard to germinate seeds respond well to it but if you are wrong seedlings got very distorted and died.
I had best luck with seeds like thalictrums, where I could bypass cold treatment requirement.
You are absolutely right when you say that distortion can occur.

It's very hard for me to remember what Craig and I did since it was so many years ago.But thinking about it today,this is what I've come up with.

GA by itself, control,no GA
Then adding different concentrations of Knitrate to GA,whic his known to wake up old seeds

And both of us using the exact same seeds.

Stay tuned for breaking news if I remember more, but the addition of Knitrate at different concentrations to GA I think was a good step forward.

Carolyn, did I forget to also say that the seeds we used were from the PCGRIN, and some they sent back had low to no germination?We cross referenced what we would request,then sent half the seed seeds to the each other.