Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 23, 2016   #1696
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I really like HEB. I shop both HEB and Krogers, but only on a week day and preferably in the morning. Oh and Worth I like Texas Toast but I haven't had any in a few years. I sure does a good job of soling up the gravy on chicken fried steak.
Old February 23, 2016   #1697
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Worth, I really like HEB. I shop both HEB and Krogers, but only on a week day and preferably in the morning. Oh and Worth I like Texas Toast but I haven't had any in a few years. I sure does a good job of soling up the gravy on chicken fried steak.
I like Texas Toast fried in butter on both side in a cast iron skillet with the chicken fried steak.
You know what I am talking about.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #1698
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Looks really good. I'd maybe add a touch of cheddar cheese, but maybe that would be overkill with the bacon.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #1699
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Texas Toast works well when making French Toast... Viva La Abilene
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #1700
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Texas Toast works well when making French Toast... Viva La Abilene
So many great things come out of Texas no wonder so many people hate us.

Food products oil actors you name it.
Worth
Old February 24, 2016   #1701
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I do not hate Texas. I would like to go on a vacation one day to see it for my self. We usually vacation in Florida.

One year we went to San Diego, CA. It was amazing. I like mountains and ocean. Beautiful, gorgeous place. So much kelp wasted, I would have used it in my tomato patch. Haha

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #1702
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Driving across Texas when you have not time to stop is...long.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #1703
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I do not hate Texas. I would like to go on a vacation one day to see it for my self. We usually vacation in Florida.

One year we went to San Diego, CA. It was amazing. I like mountains and ocean. Beautiful, gorgeous place. So much kelp wasted, I would have used it in my tomato patch. Haha
kayak out to the kelp bed, drop large swimbait, needlefish lure or a live ghost shrimp with a hook through it = insane amount of species. Calico Bass will be the usual customer.
Seals, sharks, whales, dolphins, sunfish, you name it they come to see what the strange long silhouette is, they usually give you the one eye treatment and swim away.

I just talked myself into a weekend fishing trip.
Old February 24, 2016   #1704
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've become one of those people who dress up their dogs. It makes it easier to keep track of her in a snowstorm:

It's my old hi-vis vest from a trucking job I had. She seems to take to it well - it's those working line police dog genes in her. The vest helps her feel like she is doing work.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #1705
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've become one of those people who dress up their dogs. It makes it easier to keep track of her in a snowstorm:

It's my old hi-vis vest from a trucking job I had. She seems to take to it well - it's those working line police dog genes in her. The vest helps her feel like she is doing work.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful pooch. We've all had one at some point, great great dogs.
Old February 24, 2016   #1706
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. She is as purebred as they come. She was somebody's puppy purchase for $600-800. They dumped her at the county pound, where I adopted her for $150, which included having her spayed. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The drive to get her was about six hours one way, to middle of nowhere Indiana. It looked like a John Cougar Melloncap song. I actually saw a Tasty Freeze.
Old February 24, 2016   #1707
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wonder why someone would dump her?

Worth
Old February 24, 2016   #1708
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I wonder why someone would dump her?

Worth
There's not many good reasons to get rid of a puppy, but there are lots of excuses - didn't realize they'd need to be house trained/didn't realize housetraining would be so difficult, can't afford to feed them, don't exercise them enough so they are destructive and bored, they don't get along with other pets, didn't realize how big they'd get, can't afford vet care, etc. I could go on and on

Last edited by TexasTycoon; February 24, 2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #1709
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
There's not many good reasons to get rid of a puppy, but there are lots of excuses - didn't realize they'd need to be house trained/didn't realize housetraining would be so difficult, can't afford to feed them, don't exercise them enough so they are destructive and bored, they don't get along with other pets, didn't realize how big they'd get, can't afford vet care, etc. I could go on and on
I had a roommate that had a dog, that dog wouldn't mind him for anything (he beat it) but the dog would do anything I told it to do.
It infuriated the guy.
Old February 24, 2016   #1710
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Oh it's obvious. She was bred for prey drive and high energy above all else. If you were on the top of a cliff and threw a tennis ball off the cliff, she would jump after it. That's the trait that is molded into whatever job you want the dog to do. She's too small to be a K9, but she would have made a great drug/bomb-sniffing dog. "Get the prey!...Get it!" that is this dog's prime directive. I can tell the breeder was going for that above all else.

My last female shepherd was brilliant. I was once pulling a heavy tree limb off a fence and looked behind me to see her with her teeth sunk into the limb, pulling it backward with me. The dog was scary smart. This dog, however, is not the brightest light on the tree. She's very pretty and has a sweet disposition, but I could see how she was difficult to train. I think she kept knocking down the kids by jumping on them. When I got her, she wanted to jump into the lap of every woman and would shrink away in fear from every new man she met. I think that says a lot about her old owners. They were both ignorant in their own way; the woman didn't beat her, but training a GSD to be a lap dog is not doing anyone any favors.