Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old October 18, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default Just saying, Howdy

Well, the season has ended for us CHOPTAGers, and I hope everyone had a great one. I did. Now to figure out what to do with about 200 lbs. of green tomatoes. :-) Maybe I'll box them up and drop them off at Brian's one morning around 3 a.m. LOL.

My jalapenos did well so I smoked some today and transfered to the food dryer. Also drying some more dill and have already dried a gallon ziploc of parsley, and a good bit of sage. In the greenhouse I planted 6, ten month old "puny" swiss chard plants. They should be pretty rugged by now. :-)

Also have basil, parsley, and oriential celery in GH along with a Lime Green Salad and something else I can't remember the name of that survived since spring. Going to transplant other herbs into GH.

Next big garden job is to strip concrete wire cages of vines and stack cages within cages. I drive two pieces of re-bar into the dirt, slip one side of cage over one re-bar, other side of cage over other. I can do ten or 12 that way.
Old October 19, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl,

Nice to hear from you and your season wrap-up.

The smoked Jalapenos sound great. Green tomatoes to excess. Hmm, pickles with the Jalapenos?

Anyway, keep well and I know you'll be enjoying the season ahead by the sounds of your produce.
Old October 23, 2006   #3
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl,

Yes! It's over! It was a good year, but the best thing about each year is the chance to begin anew in the Spring!

I made my last produce delivery on Wednesday - Hooray - and now the garden is just for me! I spent Saturday putting row covers on all of the collards, kale, turnips, chard and lettuce. Some of those I will be able to harvest into January and perhaps beyond.

I'm so glad to hear how you're utilizing your greenhouse. I posted in the greenhouse forum to ask you how you were coming along with that. I ordered a HFGH, which arrived just last week. I'm anxious to get that installed.

Enjoy the Fall and Winter... I sure will!

Lisa
Old October 23, 2006   #4
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Howdy All!

All my plants here were pulled several weeks ago when we had some help in clean up for the season.
I have some plants across the street which continue to produce. I planted three Vietnamease OT Heim Peppers (translation -- Mean Pepper) so I could save a few seed from them.
My neighbor Cathy planted about fifteen of my tomato plants. They have out done themselves! She was a way a week in TX with work and I kept them covered with threats of frost. I helped her pull some two pounders and down late yesterday with a heavy frost prediction last night. Black Mountain Pink is a Kentucky Heirloom --

And Lenny and Gracie's Yellow is another Kentucky Heirloom --
I'm listing all the Kentucky Heirloom varieties I germinated this season.
Gary/Louisville

KENTUCKY HEIRLOOM TOMATO VARIETIES
Seed Available From A Commercial Source Noted on Description

"Joe Thieneman's" Australian Heart : Seed saved through the years by the Thieneman family, 85 days, indeterminate — Regular leaf plants produce fruit that are large, red, heart-shaped tomatoes with few seed. Seed acquired from a Service Man who spent time in Australia before coming home after serving in WW11. A tomato that tastes like summer! Seed available at Victory Seed and is listed as Australian Giant Oxheart.

Barnes Mountain Pink: Large, deep pink beefsteak fruit, up to 3 lbs.
Good taste. Indeterminate.

Barnes Mountain Yellow: Meaty, slightly ribbed fruit on ten-foot
vines with dense foliage. High yields, indeterminate.

Black Mountain Pink: Round, pink fruit is 1 lb. or more, with very good flavor. From an abandoned homestead in the Black Mountain area in Harlan County, fall of 1933. Indeterminate. Seed available from Marianna's Heirloom Seeds.

Buckeye Yellow: Large to extra-large, ivory to light yellow fruit with pink streaks showing from blossom end. Thin skin very prone to cracking, must be staked, indeterminate.

Depp's Pink Firefly , Family Heirloom Glasgow, KY. 1890, Potato leaf, large up to 2 ½ lbs, Red/Pink round tasty fruits with flecking, Indeterminate Seed available from Underwood Gardens.

Frank's Large Red, Eastern Kentucky Family Heirloom, old seed discovered in the attic following the death of a family member. Large five inch tasty red tomatoes, Indeterminate

Grandfather Ashlock, Eastern Kentucky Family Heirloom grown by three generations of the Ashlock family, fruit are pink, one pound and up, Indeterminate.

"Granny Cantrell's" German pink/red, , only tomato ever grown by Lettie Cantrell of West Liberty, Kentucky, since the '40s. Large one pound plus, tasty fruits, regular foliage, Indeterminate, Family Heirloom, few seeds, Mid 69-80 days, OP, use fresh for eating, slicer, canning. Lettie died in November 2005 at the age of 96. A top “10” in taste with many CHOPTAG tomato growers. Won “Best In Taste” Baker Creek Fall Festival 2006. Merlyn Niedens grew it this year to share with Southern Exposure and Baker Creek for their 2007 seed catalog.

CHOPTAG -- Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Kentucky Heirloom : Regular-leaf plants with very high yields of 1/2 lb., cream yellow, seedy, juicy beefsteak fruit. Good flavor. Indeterminate.

Kentucky Plate: Potato-leaf plant with smooth pink beefsteak fruit, I - 1.5 lbs. each. Excellent taste and good yield. Resembles Brandywine. Indeterminate.

Kentucky Potato Leaf: Potato-leaf plant with good yields of 1-lb. pink beefsteak fruit. Very good taste. Indeterminate.

Kentucky Amish Oxheart , Casey, County Heirloom, very large, red oxheart, great flavor, variable shape, regular leaf, solid texture, good production.

Lenny & Gracie's Ky. Heirloom (Red): Regular leaf, large red fruit, very good flavor, heavy producer. From the Johnson/Magoffin County area of eastern Kentucky.

Lenny & Gracie's Ky. Heirloom (Yellow): Large, yellow, ribbed fruit with a pink/red blush and a juicy, fruity flavor. From the Johnson/Magoffin County
area of eastern Kentucky. Indeterminate.

Lumpy Red, Clay City, Kentucky Heirloom, plants 5/6 feet tall, Indeterminate, medium red, tasty ribbed fruits, wonderfully delicious, prolific. Must be staked.

Old Kentucky: Regular-leaf plant, with a good yield of 6- to 12-
ounce, light yellow fruit. Good flavor. Indeterminate.

Pike County Kentucky. Heirloom: Regular-leaf plant, giving a fair yield of 8-12 oz. pink fruit. Good flavor. Indeterminate.

Rose Beauty: Large yellow fruit with pink blush on blossom end, 1.5 lbs., very good flavor & productivity. Grown in the late 1920's and early 1930's on Happy Top Road on the Estill/Jackson County line in Kentucky. Indeterminate.

Super Choice, Kentucky Heirloom, large red round and slightly
flattened fruit, excellent taste, regular leaf, good production.

Uncle Mark Bagby, a Western Kentucky Heirloom, large pink, mild flavor, slightly flattened, 75/85 days, Potato leaf. This tomato is a true family heirloom brought to KY by Mark Bagby from Germany in 1919

Yoder's German Yellow, Kentucky/Tennessee Heirloom from an Amish
family which has grown this same tomato for more than fifty years.

T.C. Jones Yellow Tomato, Cumberland County Kentucky, Family grown for three or more generations, Small/Medium size yellow fruits with blush striping at blossom end, from Harry Jones, Crestwood, Kentucky

William's Striped, Kentucky Heirloom, seed saved by an elderly gentleman from Glendale, Kentucky. These fruit have beautiful red and yellow striping inside and out. In a Taste Test last summer at Baker Creek Summer Festival, won out as a favorite. Seed shared by Georgia Emond and grown by Merlyn Niedens who introduced it in 2006 Baker Creek Catalog, Indeterminate, Mid-season.

Kentucky Beefsteak , Eastern Kentucky, a *huge* luminescent orange
tomato with mild fruity flavor. Indeterminate. Seed available -- Tomato Grower’s Supply
Old October 27, 2006   #5
Tom_Ato
Tomatovillian™

Earl, I haven't checked in here in months. Yes, I have tons of green tomatoes too. The better part of them rot. Not sure why I even bother picking them.

September was bizarre--nothing ripened except cherries. I've never seen anything like it. Right now I have lots of dead vines hanging on cages. I've ripped out a bunch, but there are lots more. I'll get rid of a few more tomorrow--just don't feel like doing them all at once.

The jalapenos sound good. We bought some jalapeno mustard the other day when we went to the Circleville Pumpkin Show. We love the stuff.

Anyway, hope you are all doing well.

Ken
Old November 1, 2006   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ken, it ain't been "that" long since the fest. But being away from good folks can seem lots longer. :-) Dang, I was hoping you liked removing dead tomato plants, LOL. I need to get mine done also. I just dried leek tops. Amazing that as many as I dried they only fit into a quart jar once I finished them off in the food processor.

I've got a heap of foot tall self seeded Dill to harvest tomorrow before that hard freeze hits us. Will freeze most of it fresh to use in making Gravlax, dry the rest.

Gary,
Nice report on all those maters. I may have to try a couple of them in '07 since Granny Cantrell impressed me as did Kentucky Heirloon.