Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 4, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Moving Containers Easy With Hand Truck

I mainly garden in the ground but because of soil problems all of the tomatoes are now grown in 15 gallon nursery buckets. They sit on wooden pallets up by the house. However, I'm now trying a lot of new tomatoes and there's no moreroom by the house.

My sister observed that were were two open spaces down in the garden for more pallets and so there are. The perfect solution; the "garden stretcher" at work.

I've already got five of the 15 tomato plants going there and yesterday I got the three tomatillo plants set out on the pallets. I love (and my back loves) the hand truck as it makes moving these buckets around a breeze.

This is the soil stash, the stuff that was leftover from the second load of planting mix. It's on a pallet, wrapped in a big tarp.

Then it's just a matter of loading the buckets with mix and wheeling them into the garden, tipping them up and sliding them onto the pallet.

We didn't have an extra tarp to put over the pallets for grass suppression but I'm going to put a thick layer of newspaper under them. The pallets will hold the paper down and the paper will get soaked when the plants are watered, forming a dense mat. In theory it should work. One makes it up as one goes along.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #2
PlainJane

The paper should work great. I like the pallet garden!

One down side with fabric grow bags is that they aren’t rigid enough to move with the hand truck.
I have to drag them to move them, and it’s surprisingly hard work to go any distance.
Old May 4, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
The paper should work great. I like the pallet garden!

One down side with fabric grow bags is that they aren’t rigid enough to move with the hand truck.
I have to drag them to move them, and it’s surprisingly hard work to go any distance.
Hmmm..... any way to make a three sided box of plywood, set that on the hand truck, then slide the grow bag into it? Maybe bungee cord the works to the hand truck frame?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #4
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Hmmm..... any way to make a three sided box of plywood, set that on the hand truck, then slide the grow bag into it? Maybe bungee cord the works to the hand truck frame?
Lol, that’s what I’ve done a few times but usually I’m too impatient.