Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 14, 2016   #1
Chaerimasu
Tomatovillian™

Default Any idea whats wrong with tomato plant?

Hi tomato experts,

Any idea what is wrong with my tomatos?

- affecting sweet million variety only.
- older foliages are fine
- found on relatively newer foliages starting from terminal leaflets.
- plants looks healthy overall, 5' tall.

http://imgur.com/a/3puF0
Chaerimasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #2
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

How has your weather been?

EDIT: I ask because while that could be drought stress, it could also be grey mold or very early late blight symptoms (not to freak you out or anything). See 3:54 of this video, although the whole thing is worth watching:

I would
1) Prune off all affected leaves, bag, and trash immediately
2) Reserve a couple of pruned samples, place in sealed zip top bag with damp paper towel inside to see whether visible mold or sporulation happens
3) Spray everything immediately. I would probably give Bill's bleach spray a whirl, then follow up with copper.
4) Get a sample to my country extension office to see whether they can rule out late blight, which is a big deal
5) If the weather has been unusually dry, give the plants a good watering (but obviously not from above)

It might not be that serious, but it's best to be aggressive now just in case it is mold or blight, IMO.

Last edited by gorbelly; July 16, 2016 at 01:16 PM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #3
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Have you sprayed with something recently?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #4
Chaerimasu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for reply.

The weather has been relatively hot for past few days. I do water fairly consistantly and always check to make sure the soils are not dry, although its possible that I didnt water keep enough. I have not sprayed my plant with anything, though i cannot comment on what my neighbour did to their white clovers on their lawn. I have been pruning the effected leaves, but i will try the ziplock bag with damp paper towel method! Chances are, I wont go as far as using copper and bleach, since it sounds too extreme for an average home gardener like myself.

I will keep an eye on the tomato plants to see if any new symtoms develop.

Last edited by Chaerimasu; July 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Chaerimasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

If it does turn out to be late blight (unlikely, but possible), and you don't want to try to spray and control it, you should destroy your plants (throw them away right away in sealed plastic bags, do not compost or let them sit around in your yard). Late blight is extremely contagious and virulent and spreads on the wind, so any plants on which the disease is not being aggressively managed from a very early stage or has gotten out of control will pose a big danger potato and tomato plants of other people in your area.

Not saying it's likely, but just stressing that response to late blight should be very aggressive. It's not like some of the other fungal diseases, where a laid-back attitude of accepting the natural course of things is an option.
Old July 19, 2016   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

post more pictures
it can be gray mold
it can be bacterial
and ... late blight

If your plants are still alive it is not LB.

Old July 19, 2016   #7
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
If your plants are still alive it is not LB.
From what I understand, if the weather gets hot and dry after infection, it can slow down the disease quite a bit. But once things get cooler and wetter, it will progress and spread rapidly.
Old July 20, 2016   #8
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

If anyone suspects Late Blight in their garden it is always helpful to check out-brake of it in this US page. Canada most likely has its agricultural map that shows reported and confirmed cases of Late Blight.

http://usablight.org/?q=map

As I recall in 2010-2012 there were outbreaks of LB in Canada linked to potato growing. LB came with potatoes. Are you growing potatoes?

Last edited by efisakov; July 20, 2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old July 20, 2016   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

First time I am seeing this thread. The second picture with concentric rings ever largening, turning brown, and the yellow halo, thats pretty textbook for early blight, much better disgnosis than late blight. The first picture looks fungal too, maybe grey mold.

I would cut off any diseased leaves, bag them, then spray with liquid copper fungicide mixed to the weakest recommended strength for tomatoes,above and below the leafs and the stems down to the soil line. Repeat your spray in 7-10 days, and after a heavy rain.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote