Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 30, 2016   #1
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Insect idenfication question

I've been trying to identify the good guys & bad guys since I've had some aphids, I couldn't get a really good picture of this guy, I've seen more of them -- looked to me like one was attacking an aphid.
I'm located in south western Ohio, couldn't find them in any guide -- the legs are long, high and jointed like a spider's, long and thin, filament like almost.
I saw what I thought might be an adult nearby, didn't get a picture and now I can't remember too much about it, other than it was brown, long, thin, same very thin legs. I can't recall if it was winged or not, but as tiny as the little guys are, it was decent sized insect. (not a spider).
Long shot with the quality of the photo, but I'm curious as what the heck this is?
oh, and always found near the remains of a white exoskeleton where they molted I guess. The exoskeleton may show the shape better than the insect.
one of these is near the old exoskeleton and near an aphid for scale, on a tomato leaf.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #2
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

I finally got a couple of good photos of what I believe the adult of these bugs is, and someone over at Dave's Garden id'd it -- perfect match of the photos of the adult that I got. Not sure if it's good or bad bug, I think it might be eating aphids. Apparently it will eat both insects and plants.
It's called a Stilt Bug!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.americaninsects.net/ht/jalysus-sp.html
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote